Thread: Tripods for Wildlife Photography

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Tripods for Wildlife Photography

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I would think optimal tripod purchasing would be based on how it will be used. Wouldn't most wildlife photographers use a tripod at it's lowest height (or even lower if lying horizontal) and for those standing what is optimal for your specific height. Do you want to shoot in a bent over position or risking more chances of camera shake by extending the center column?
    Bit hard when photographing birds in flight, deer, etc

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Bit hard when photographing birds in flight, deer, etc
    Jeremy,

I was trying to cover the range of use when I referred to "those standing" and what would be the optimal height of tripod purchased.

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks for your input everyone! It's been helpful and I appreciate your taking the time to give me your suggestions.

To answer inquiries about my intended use, I suppose I do have kind of a "cover-all" purpose for it, as for now, I think I should at least buy one before I buy two, so I need one for any purpose, indoor, night photography, sunset photography, video, etc. and also being interested in wildlife photography, I thought I would try to consider which kind(s) work well for that, as I supposed that purpose would have more specific requirements than most of the others, (because of the necessity for the head to move easily to track action).

Thanks again!

_
    Nick

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Jeremy,

I was trying to cover the range of use when I referred to "those standing" and what would be the optimal height of tripod purchased.
    Sorry I meant to add a but forgot

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Sorry I meant to add a but forgot
    No problem.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    ...To answer inquiries about my intended use, I suppose I do have kind of a "cover-all" purpose for it...and also being interested in wildlife photography...
    In that context, I'd recommend you get yourself a good tripod for landscape etc. and a monopod (if anything) for wildlife. As previously mentioned, shooting wildife you will use ss that don't require a tripod most times. So if wildlife isn't going to occupy a significant portion of your shooting time, I'd not get a tripod specific for that purpose. As mentioned I didn't use one for wildlife until a couple of seasons ago and got along fine. And most recently shooting moose this fall I went back to a monopod for mobility sake.

If I haven't learned anything else in life one thing I have finally gotten, "spend your money where you spend your time".

Real Name
    Nick

In that context, I'd recommend you get yourself a good tripod for landscape etc. and a monopod (if anything) for wildlife. As previously mentioned, shooting wildife you will use ss that don't require a tripod most times. So if wildlife isn't going to occupy a significant portion of your shooting time, I'd not get a tripod specific for that purpose. As mentioned I didn't use one for wildlife until a couple of seasons ago and got along fine. And most recently shooting moose this fall I went back to a monopod for mobility sake.
    This may be a good idea... my opinion keeps getting swayed this way and that I am somewhat interested in wildlife photography, but I'm not trying to use it to get rid of the burden of wealth. As seems usual with my photography interests, I seem to find some of the most demanding requirements for tripods there, (which translates to expensive).

If I get a good pair of tripod legs, I could always upgrade heads if necessary, so I could start with a pan head, and get a gimbal if I wanted in the future, or get a ball head now, which would leave the option to get a "sidekick" gimbal head in the future, if necessary, perhaps. Between those two options it depends primarily on which (pan or ball) will serve me better for most purposes, night, landscape, video etc) in the present.
    Last edited by Nicks Pics; 14th January 2015 at 10:47 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

...If I get a good pair of tripod legs, I could always upgrade heads if necessary....
    Having a nice set of legs around is never a bad thing

OK, Izzie, your turn

Real Name
    Carol

I have an excellent tripod, but find it too inconvenient to haul around. So I just got a Benro monopod that has 3 "feet" that extend for more stability. I did not like the S2 head it came with at all! It was difficult to use the "quick release", and the handle was on the right side, the hand I use for controls of the camera. You can reverse it, but then the quick release head is backwards. So I bought a RedGed ball head RP-3. This is a very sturdy head, and extremely easy & smooth to use.

I would never leave my camera unattended on any monopod, but it's excellent for birds, night photography, etc. for stabilization!

Tripods for Wildlife Photography

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nopod_kit.html
    Last edited by csa mt; 15th January 2015 at 04:42 PM.

Real Name
    Carol

Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    I have an excellent tripod, but find it too inconvenient to haul around. So I just got a Benro monopod that has 3 "feet" that extend for more stability. I did not like the S2 head it came with at all! It was difficult to use the "quick release", and the handle was on the right side, the hand I use for controls of the camera. You can reverse it, but then the quick release head is backwards. So I bought a RedGed ball head RP-3. This is a very sturdy head, and extremely easy & smooth to use.

I would never leave my camera unattended on any monopod, but it's excellent for birds, night photography, etc. for stabilization!

Tripods for Wildlife Photography

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nopod_kit.html
    Carol,
    Thanks for showing me this idea. Perhaps a monopod would be useful for me. I am considering several options.

Real Name
    Carol

Nick, you are quite welcome! I know you asked about tripods, but since I just got this outfit, and really love the convenience & stability for wildlife, I thought I'd mention it.

Let us know what you decide on, as we definitely will be interested!

Real Name
    Richard

I am on my second monopod... I really liked the first one but (a Calumet carbon fiber model with a Manfrotto tilt head), I left it on a bus somewhere in Croatia. So much for my first photo opportunity during my European trip. I really missed the monopod because I had several specific ideas for its use.

After returning home. I replaced the monopod with another Calumet model (Calumet, unfortunately has ceased operations) and this time selected a Kirk MPA2 tilt head with an Arca compatible clamp. This was an expensive rig but, you get what you pay for...

While the monopod is a great stabilizer it cannot, in most cases, replace a tripod.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

This is what I use, great quality

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks for the replies folks!

Real Name
    John

This is the one I bought

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...olumn_max.html

But for some reason the price is a bit different in the UK. It's usually around $1.6 to the £

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-g...ripod/p1534504

John
    -

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks John,
    That looks like a nice tripod, a little expensive though.

Real Name
    Yes

Richard
    I think you will find Calmut rebranded and sold cheaper Manfrotto kit.

Real Name
    John

Thanks John,
    That looks like a nice tripod, a little expensive though.
    Usually we pay around the same number of £ as you pay $ Nick. No idea why this one is so different. They would probably export one but shipping out of the UK isn't cheap, we don't have anything like USPS. Royal Mail is a little different but can be economic on some things.

If they did export the price they quote includes 20% tax. That is removed if things are sent out of the EU.

John
    -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast