Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Location matters!

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Re: Location matters!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I like Grahame's idea, particularly as you can link it back to Google Earth and for residential areas, even get a street view in many cases. I think if I were to take this approach, I'd carry a hand held GPS or Smart Phone with GPS built in, and after taking an image I am interested in, just photograph the GPS or save the Smart Phone GPS screen.
    Perfect, just make sure that you have a mobile signal where you are going or download the complete map at home on WiFi. Being in India, I have noticed at many remote locations there is no signal for mobile phone and hence it fails to get the map of that place.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    Perfect, just make sure that you have a mobile signal where you are going or download the complete map at home on WiFi. Being in India, I have noticed at many remote locations there is no signal for mobile phone and hence it fails to get the map of that place.
    Um - it does not need a map of the place at the time of recording; just the coordinates from the GPS satellites. The map to coordinate matching doesn't happen until the image is uploaded to the computer, not at capture.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Location matters? I guess I'm completely ignorant; I always thought it was size that matters.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Location matters? I guess I'm completely ignorant; I always thought it was size that matters.
    Does this mean we can expect that you will be posting images of cheap glass jugs or tetrapaks of wine, rather than those small and delicate 750ml bottles in the future?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    those small and delicate 750ml bottles
    Not compared to wine bottles half that size and smaller. Size really does matter.

EDIT: You're not giving me any credit for the magnums and larger that I've posted. Hrrrrumph!

Real Name
    Shane

Geri...Thanks for the tip on Microsoft pro photo tools. I will do a bit more research on that and how to get the loge files for whatever GPS tracker I choose to use.

Mike...do you really want us gals to chime in on this...

...but, wait, you were referring to the size of our prints right???

Real Name
    Yes

The problem with mobile phone apps is they are not as accurate as dedicated GPS units, and run down the battery. The Basic Garmin unit is available for £80, tracks Russian as well as American Satelites and also other signals which increase the accuracy of the location. You can set the update frequency. Finally you can position it for the best signal which is not so easy with a phone.
    Most simple software does not tag raw files.

Real Name
    Shane

Thanks Loosecanon...this is all really helpful stuff and I appreciate it. From a purely cost standpoint I don't see much risk in giving one of the apps a try before investing more heavily in another piece of equipment. I'll let you folks know what I choose and how it works our as I plan to shoot in the area again next weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12