Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THIS is the chassis of the Sigma

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: THIS is the chassis of the Sigma

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Again, Manfred, doesn't it boil down to cost? Single piece molded CF aero bicycle frames are extremely complex shapes and difficult to manufacture. But there is a market segment willing to pay for them so there they are. Early on CF bikes were simply CF tubes bonded into metal joints. But the market supported the development and higher cost of monoque (sp?) frames and now they are fairly common on high end bikes.
    Effectively, these bikes are hand-built (with a price to match the construction method). I expect that the parts are made using a hand layup method over wooden or plastic forms, with vaccuum assist in the process. Frankly, for the most part these bike components are not "precision". A few mm here or there is no big deal on most of these components, and that is really the limit of precision on these parts. Carbon fibre matrix is relatively flexible in one dimension (the thin one), so these minor tolerance issues are easily fixed in assembly.

Lens components that slide and move and hold precision optical components that are super precisely aligned are a whole other kettle of fish. High precision injection moulded parts and CNC machined aluminum do make sense here, not so much from a weight standpoint, but certainly from a precision and movement standpoint. The thought of two carbon fibre parts sliding against each other litterally gives me the willies...

My carbon fibre tripds all use nylon bushings. There is no place where there is any carbon fibre to carbon fibre contact, and this makes a lot of sense from a functional standpoint.

Real Name
    Bryan

Has anyone heard when the Sigma 150-600 S will be released in the US? I've seen reviews from folks overseas, but Adorama still has it listed as Pre-order.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    Has anyone heard when the Sigma 150-600 S will be released in the US? I've seen reviews from folks overseas, but Adorama still has it listed as Pre-order.
    Have you contacted Sigma to ask them, I have had mine since day 1

Real Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Have you contacted Sigma to ask them, I have had mine since day 1
    Didn't see anything on their website. I haven't tried calling, just checked the major camera stores (Adorama, B&H) and see "pre-order". From post around the internet, it seems to be out in Asia, I just haven't seen much of it from US photogs.

Real Name
    Bryan

Didn't see anything on their website. I haven't tried calling, just checked the major camera stores (Adorama, B&H) and see "pre-order". From post around the internet, it seems to be out in Asia, I just haven't seen much of it from US photogs.
    My bad. Finally got a response from Sigma. They are released however Sigma is having problems keeping up with the demand. They expect to be caught up by April-May. Till then, "Pre-orders" will be filled on a FCFS basis.

Called around to all the camera stores in my region and found one. Get to try it out this weekend on some Eagle watching.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

My bad. Finally got a response from Sigma. They are released however Sigma is having problems keeping up with the demand. They expect to be caught up by April-May. Till then, "Pre-orders" will be filled on a FCFS basis.

Called around to all the camera stores in my region and found one. Get to try it out this weekend on some Eagle watching.
    That SUCKS, and really blasted annoys me.

I'm old school, back in film days, when I bought my Nikon F, you went to the local photo shop, it was an "experience" like buying a car or something special, it was in stock or readily available, now cut throat, manufacturers sell us something months before it is even available and then like the D600, D750, D810 when it is here it has faults.

I was lucky, I "knew" people and spent a LOT so I got possibly one of the first ten in the country, but I still know people waiting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12