Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett

Real Name
    Janis

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 2 - anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye Leggett View Post
    is it an improvement do you think ?

2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett
    I think it works a lot better, Kaye. I have found that it often takes a combination of strategies to make a subject stand out, so good on you for really working the shot.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 2 - anticipation

Thanks Janis. Sadly I've run out of time to take the 'stuff ready for packing' shot - I'll keep it in the store for another time.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 3 - Havana

Our holiday was split into the first week of cities and 'culture' and the second week of rural and beach Cuba. So for week 3, here is my impression of Havana..

Firstly, the Havana that everyone knows about and perhaps thinks is romantic

The reality is different, the cars need constant repair and the pollution they cause makes walking round quite unpleasant..

My overall and lasting impression is of a city that is on its knees, that whilst parts have been 'renovated' it is going to be a very long time before the city changes dramatically and joins the 21st century - it's very sad.

So I wonder, do these pictures convey that sentiment ?

Real Name
    Grahame

So I wonder, do these pictures convey that sentiment ?
    They certainly do for me Kaye.

For images No 1 and 4 you got the spacing of the vehicles/cart spot on.

Real Name
    Janis

I think that last shot, looking up through the decay at the blank window is particularly poignant: whither Cuba?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Hmmm...these shots gives me goose pimples. One thought: A decaying city. It is so different from what we see on tv or documentary run by the government I suppose...It is almost the same theme here as what Anthony Bourdain has in his show...

Real Name
    John

Nice series, very good interpretation of the country but I'm sure it's not in a hurry to join the 21st century. There would be thousands of corporations vying for the chance to open an outlet in Cuba and I think that would only spoil the beauty of the country.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Graeme, Izzy, Janis and John - thank you for your comments. I'm not sure the corporations want to go there and whilst I agree not having the ubiquitous corporate signs is a change, I think I prefer them to the tired, crumbling city that is currently there. However, the countryside is quite lovely outside the city and I will post week 4 very soon, which hopefully lifts the mood.

Real Name
    Izzie

Graeme, Izzy, Janis and John - thank you for your comments. I'm not sure the corporations want to go there ....
    You might be surprised...think of McDonalds Cuba style, or some smoothie joints, Starbucks in every corner, etc...but I suspect it will be like in the Philippines where you have to have a university degree to be able to get employment and the rest of the umemployed plying their wares or washing and cleaning floors. I have a relation in the Philippines whose husband is a civil engineer and he proudly works for McDonalds.

Good photos and a nice 'documentary' style.

Real Name
    mark

Nice work Kaye.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks Geoff and Mark. And Izzie, I agree it's sad when working for McDonalds becomes a viable option for the well educated. Currently in Cuba, people want to work in the tourist industry as their income is boosted by the tips, which is fine if giving a tip is for good service - sadly most of the time they were exepcted regardless of the service provided.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 4 - Cuba countryside

And so, we moved on to see more of the country, and one place we stayed was Vinales, home of the good quality tobacco. The farmers must sell 90% of their production to the State, leaving themselves with 20% (go figure..) to sell independently and/or smoke. Its a lovely region, in it's way prosperous, and we met a few characters.......

This is Joel - he's 72 and smokes 22 cigars a day. He ploughs his fields using two oxen. He was born in the valley and, in his own words, will die there. He couldn't have been more welcoming as we wandered around his fields. To me, he is the essence of this part Cuba, a man very comfortable with his life - I hope you feel it too.

Real Name
    John

And so, we moved on to see more of the country, and one place we stayed was Vinales, home of the good quality tobacco. The farmers must sell 90% of their production to the State, leaving themselves with 20% (go figure..) to sell independently and/or smoke. Its a lovely region, in it's way prosperous, and we met a few characters.......

This is Joel - he's 72 and smokes 22 cigars a day. He ploughs his fields using two oxen. He was born in the valley and, in his own words, will die there. He couldn't have been more welcoming as we wandered around his fields. To me, he is the essence of this part Cuba, a man very comfortable with his life - I hope you feel it too.

Much more lively mood. Nice portraits. I wonder if those are Cuban cigars?

Real Name
    Izzie

This is a splendid shot, Kay...I got th feeling that you had conveyed here...you have got yourself a willing model here. The contentment in his face and the smile shows all too well. Even the way he carried himself so far to his age. Did I say this is a beautiful shot? Indeed, in other words but I love this very much...

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks John and Izzy. Indeed a cuban cigar - are there any other ?? Joel grows and rolls his own but unlike the traditional 'roll-up, the cuban home made is a superior cigar as the tobacco is the full leave, not shreds of it as made by machines. Or so I am told, since I don't smoke and didn't try it whilst I was there. Izzy, you're right - contentment is the word.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 5 - a whole new challenge

Back home this week and we spent an afternoon and evening with some very old friends. The Boys fancy themselves as The Two Greedy Italians and so made the pasta for the lasagne. One challenge was to keep far away from their floury hands....but I did manage to capture a few shots. Most have been deleted as the focus point was off - these are the best of the bunch and I'm very far from happy with them, I really feel there is room for improvement here... So I think next week I will try some more. If any of you have any tips, I'd be happy to have them

1 - Ready to roll

2 - This is harder than it looks

3 - Nearly there

4 - And now for the machine......

5 - All done

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 2015 Project 52 - 1st quarter - Kaye Leggett - week 5 - a whole new challenge

Am just catching up with life on CiC. This thread is wonderful. I look forward to the rest.

Real Name
    Izzie

I have the Atlas Marcato with electric attachment...but I also have another manual one I bought years ago. Nowadays pasta machines are getting sophisticated. I love kitchen appliances...but then that is another story.

Did you take a shot of your dinner before your boys gobbled them up? Just curious...

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks Donald and Izzie.

Izzie I did take pictures of the finished article, but they went in the bin, unlike the lasagne which was delicious !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast