Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mammillaria spinosissima

Mammillaria spinosissima

This cactus was flowering in the greenhouse today. It's a stacked composite of six manually focused shots using Helicon. The flower was very small - about 1cm across.

Canon 50D, Sigma 105mm macro, studio light with softbox. f/14, ISO100, 1/125s. And no. I don't know what the name means. Someone will tell me...

Mammillaria spinosissima

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Mammillaria spinosissima

Rob: That is truly beautiful! The petals look like some kind of exotic fabric especially on the left side.

I am very curious to see how the single shot with the focus on the centre looks. Would it be possible to post?

A 105mm macro is on my wish list, and I'd like to see what it can do without the helicon composite.

Wendy (wants a greenhouse )

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Rob: That is truly beautiful! The petals look like some kind of exotic fabric especially on the left side.

I am very curious to see how the single shot with the focus on the centre looks. Would it be possible to post?

A 105mm macro is on my wish list, and I'd like to see what it can do without the helicon composite.

Wendy (wants a greenhouse )
    Hi Wendy

This was the shot that had the centre of the flower in focus. It doesn't look quite as bright as the finished item because after Helicon you have to PP it in CS4 to tweak exposure and sharpen, etc.

TBH there wasn't much variation between the shots because as I said the flower was very small, so it had a shallow DOF. You would notice more of a difference in a series of a flower that had a greater depth. It does show what the 105 can do though. I could have used an extension tube and got in even closer.

Shot of the green-house too. It's only a 12x8ft but it's powered for heat, The plastic bubble wrap on the ceiling/walls is to keep out frost and save heat. They make good photographic subjects, and it's so easy to just pick something out when it's ready and take it indoors to shoot in my study.

Mammillaria spinosissima

Mammillaria spinosissima

Real Name
    Wendy

This was the shot that had the centre of the flower in focus. It doesn't look quite as bright as the finished item because after Helicon you have to PP it in CS4 to tweak exposure and sharpen, etc.

TBH there wasn't much variation between the shots because as I said the flower was very small, so it had a shallow DOF. You would notice more of a difference in a series of a flower that had a greater depth. It does show what the 105 can do though. I could have used an extension tube and got in even closer.
    Thanks for posting this. It is very helpful. I was thinking the same about DOF on such a small flower, but was not sure. I'm glad I am thinking on the right track. I would be very happy with the results from the lens, but what you did with the helicon really makes it outstanding.

Shot of the green-house too. It's only a 12x8ft but it's powered for heat, The plastic bubble wrap on the ceiling/walls is to keep out frost and save heat. They make good photographic subjects, and it's so easy to just pick something out when it's ready and take it indoors to shoot in my study.
    Very nice set up. Seems like the greenhouse would be good light for shooting. Is that the subject at approx the left top third mark?

Thanks again
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Very nice set up. Seems like the greenhouse would be good light for shooting. Is that the subject at approx the left top third mark?

Thanks again
    Wendy
    Yes, that's right, on the left. I normally take stuff in to shoot because I tend to use the studio lights rather than flash-guns. Also, there isn't much room in there for a tripod. All I need now is a stall in the drive-way to sell the pictures!

Real Name
    Jim

Rob,
    Very nice! I'm planning to give stacking a go.I've had Helicon focus for awhile,but haven't tried it yet.I bought a cheapo 4 way macro rail to use.Do you use focus ring or do you move the camera when shooting stacks?
    Nice greenhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Rob,
    Very nice! I'm planning to give stacking a go.I've had Helicon focus for awhile,but haven't tried it yet.I bought a cheapo 4 way macro rail to use.Do you use focus ring or do you move the camera when shooting stacks?
    Nice greenhouse
    I fix the camera on the tripod and just manually focus the lens- starting at one end of the DOF range I want, throught to the other end. I've learnt to hold my breath well!