Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Is Nigh - let's see your best 6 from 2014

Real Name
    Phil Page

The End Is Nigh - let's see your best 6 from 2014

Merry Christmas to everyone. As 2014 is drawing to a close, lets see your best half dozen shots from the year. There doesn't have to be a theme, just the 6 shots that you like the most. A short para for each as to why each image is one of your favourites would be good (trying different techniques, getting out of your comfort zone, the amount of effort or time required etc)

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: The End Is Nigh - let's see your best 6 from 2014

Here are my 6 - possibly better viewed in Lightbox:

1. I don't normally worry with exposure compensation, but knew what I wanted to achieve with this scene so dialled in -1 1/3rd stop EV to expose for the bright wall at the end of the tunnel and get a near silhouette. Then it was a case of waiting, and waiting for the right person to walk through the right area of the scene to capture what I'd envisaged. Very different from what I normally shoot, and my Black and Whites tend to be or brighter scenes. Looks great as a header on the black front side of my new business cards!

2. With my street photography in the past I've been concentrating on the composition of the scene and not too concerned about the human interaction part of the image. I guess that comes from starting out in architectural and cityscapes photography which is where I started. My street images were very rarely shot from the hip. This is one of my first 'from the hip' shots that I've been happy with. I noticed this old couple sitting so close yet doing completely different things - I suppose it shows what the familiarity of a long marriage can do to conversation, yet they are both completely at ease in each other's space while lost in their own worlds. So rather than just a compositional street shot with humans in it, this one tells more of a story or at least asks the viewer to read into it what they will.

3. Generally with street photography you have to stop down to ensure some depth of field, but in this case I was able to sit down at a bench, pre focus at a more open aperture (2/3rd stop from wide open) and wait for a scene to unfold. With the camera resting on a bench I could disguise the fact that I was taking photos and get the human elements in the image where I wanted them. I sometimes miss the 'pop' that wide open gives me with my PP, so love it when I get an image like this to work on.

4. This was another pre focused scene that needed some effort to get the result I wanted. There was no certainty that I was going to get what I wanted, but with the footfall of early morning commuters I thought I may have a chance so stuck it out. The difficulty was not to spook the lady that I thought might get some male attention, so shooting from the hip was required with a bit of luck on the framing. Taking a quick 8fps burst when I thought I had a good moment and panning slightly from shot to shot helped get the frame I wanted. Strangely, in a city of 8.5 million people, I got another street shot with this guy in around a month later in a different area. Spooky or what!

5. My favourite spot in London to shoot - Monmouth Coffee Shop in Southwark. There's always something going on inside and out but I had to wait and wait for this one, with two separate conversations going on at the same time in and out

6. Dubai didn't offer the street photographer much opportunity to look down and get a different perspective. London offers lots of chances, so I thought I'd try something different. I had to wait for no cars waiting at the traffic lights beneath me and a human element to line up in the opposite corner of the frame to the arrows to make the image. Not something that I would normally shoot, and generally a scene that I would pass straight by without thought. Thinking and envisaging more is something that I have been trying to do more of this year.

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

I love #5. It has a surreal feel to it the way the two couples are presented. Class shot.

I'm not sure I have six

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Up to your usual amazing standard, looove the last ones composition

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I chose five. That's not because I'm allowing for the possibility of making another favorite by the end of the year (though that would be great if it happens!). Instead, it's because none of my other photos move me as much as these five.

If I could count on making five photos every year that appeal to me as much as these do, I would be thrilled. In that sense, 2014 was a very good year.

Interestingly, all photos were taken in the middle half of the year. The first few and last few months were comparatively unproductive.

Photo #1
    This is the only photo that I have ever printed fairly large and prominently displayed in my home in a formal, custom frame.

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th December 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Up to your usual amazing standard, looove the last ones composition
    Same for me, Phil!

Real Name
    Venser

In no particular order:

1 - On my way to the subway there was a cyclist and cabbie going at it. The cyclist was trying to diffuse the situation and the cabbie was trying to go ballistic on him. Since I always have a camera on hand, instead of helping I decided to shoot the scene instead.

2 - About a minute after my daughter was born. It's not the sharpest photo, or even the one I wish I took, but the bee that stung my eyeball was blurring my vision.

3 - I was on a self portrait kick at the start of the year. This was the second entry. I camped out on the subway platform for a good thirty minutes. Just taking photo after photo of each passing train trying to get my reflection to line up perfectly.

4 - My favourite style of street. Just camping out in front of people until they notice the camera and take their photo. I understand this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's what floats my boat.

5 - Another self portrait. I was trying to mimic the cover of Miles Davis' Tutu album.

6 - Mandatory cliche shot.

All are worthy of this thread but the last three are terrific, Chris. I have no idea what is cliché about the last one.

Real Name
    Venser

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    All are worthy of this thread but the last three are terrific, Chris. I have no idea what is cliché about the last one.
    I enter photo competitions all the time and the last shot you see all too often in colour challenges. I guess that's why I find it cliché.

Real Name
    John

I suppose these are the six that resonate the most for me. Not necessarily the best because that's subjective.

1. The Six Ten from Euston.
    A shot I had in mind for a long time before I managed to achieve it - finally with quite a lot of PP. I am also a competition nut and this has probably been more successful than any of my other efforts in that direction.

2. Art Form
    An attempt at a pun, a "form" in some parts of the UK being another word for a bench. Also reasonably successful in comps.

3. Great White Egret and Friend.
    Not envisaged at the time I took it. I had wanted to explore high key but never had the right (portrait) image so this was trial and error but I quite liked the result.

4. Eric
    Eric Morecambe, the late comedian, took his stage name from his home town, the seaside resort of Morecambe in Lancashire. They have erected a monument in his memory. He was also a keen bird watcher and I wanted to capture both aspects of his life in one image.

Finally, two images I just like because they turned out the way I saw them (not always the case with me).

5. The Bunch

6. Hoverfly Syrphus Ribesii

A mighty fine set, John, that displays expertise across a wide variety of styles.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Venser View Post
    5 - Another self portrait. I was trying to mimic the cover of Miles Davis' Tutu album.
    Any fan of Miles I am a fan of!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

It is said a Photographer is only as good as the next shot he/she is going to take.
    I’d rather pass on what I have done and concentrate on what I have to do.

A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Real Name
    Grahame

That's a good selection John, trains to bees.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The potential for doing this caught my imagination and i had to wait for twenty minutes or so for the sun to get high enough to light the interior. The pattern of light, shadow and colour and minimalism made me happy.

A lot of my shots involve waiting. A lot of my joy in this hobby is the forced time to contemplate and slow down

The cloud caught my eye. Waited for the setting sunlight and the cloud to cooperate. For a while I thought it would never happen as there were clouds on the western horizon and a strong probability of no sunlight.

The little bit of mist rising above the open water backlit by the sun made this for me. That plus the fact of nearly freezing at minus thirty; so the darn thing better be one of my better shots to make up for it.

One of my serendipity shots. I walked over to this site to get a shot of an old barn lit by the rising sun. Never did shoot the barn

I hope to do better one in latter years. A goal to aim for.
    I elected to freeze the spray, the blurred ones just didn't work as well for me.

Another wait for twenty minutes for the light to be right. In this case for a beam of light to break through the forest canopy. A memorable and thoroughly enjoyable wait.
    Pattern and colour. I really liked the way the fungus in the wood has affected the colours of the wood.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I clicked through the images (using the enlarged images and the arrows really enhances the impact) submitted to this point. Quite an amazing group of strong and arresting images (modesty and necessity makes me exclude mine from that description). Eclectic and talented bunch of people .

I can hardly wait for more. Submitting six is a good number to get a feel for peoples work.

Doing this was good for me, made me review my year and dig out some stuff that was in limbo. I wonder what gems the rest of you have hidden away on their computers never to see the light of day

Though I like all of your images, Trevor, I'll probably hold your exterior images of barns in the highest esteem.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    It is said a Photographer is only as good as the next shot he/she is going to take.
    I’d rather pass on what I have done and concentrate on what I have to do.

A Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    While to some extent, I understand your sentiment Andre; I find that the past is how I build my future. It is only by analysing my older work that I can most improve my photorgraphy in the future. It's a bit like the saying, "those who do not learn from the past, are destined to repeat it". The same really goes for photography; I learn from the things I did well and not so well and these really drive my current direction.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I learn from the things I did well and not so well and these really drive my current direction.
    Exactly. Looking forward to making more photos in the future shouldn't prevent us from enjoying photos made in the past. This is one reason I enjoy reviewing master photos made as far back as the invention of the photographic process.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Though I like all of your images, Trevor, I'll probably hold your exterior images of barns in the highest esteem.
    Thanks Mike. The barns are by far and away my favourite subject. I am trying to be more than a one trick pony. I want to have a body of work and not a finger of work. However on the bright side; at least I have one trick I enjoy so that works for me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast