Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cymbidium Orchid

Real Name
    Rudi

Cymbidium Orchid

Trying to find my way in indoorphotography/ligthning, I shot more Cymbidium orchids ...

Here I used one speedlight with a Gary fong diffuser, off camera, shot into a homemade 'softbox',
    in combination with reflectors.

I am interested in any lightning advice, but off course all input/comments are welcomed and appreciated !!

Cymbidium Orchid

Cymbidium Orchid

Real Name
    Matt

Re: Cymbidium Orchid

I'm no expert on this type of photography but these look really good to me Rudi!

They are so sharp and the detail is brilliant.

Real Name
    Dan

Very nice.

I'm looking at these on an uncalibrated monitor during my lunch break, so I am not too confident that I am seeing them the way they would appear on a better monitor and at a larger size.

I like the lighting. I assume it is your use of reflectors, but you have managed to avoid the flat lighting that you sometimes get with a single source.

I have only one suggestion. It's hard to see at this size, but they seem a tad oversharpened to me.

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Very good, Rudi. You have a good lens there, I have one myself. Did you just do one shot at f/22, or is it stacked? You seem to have got very good DOF, even for f/22. The lighting is fine. Good shot.

Real Name
    David

Never tried this before Rudi, so I can't give any advice on lighting but both images look great to me

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I'm no expert on this type of photography ....
    Thanks Matt, so that makes two off us...

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Very nice.

I'm looking at these on an uncalibrated monitor during my lunch break, so I am not too confident that I am seeing them the way they would appear on a better monitor and at a larger size.

I like the lighting. I assume it is your use of reflectors, but you have managed to avoid the flat lighting that you sometimes get with a single source.

I have only one suggestion. It's hard to see at this size, but they seem a tad oversharpened to me.
    Thanks Dan. About sharpening. After downsizing for webdisplay I used the Nik Sharpening tool and dialed the opacity back to
    abt 35% I think, but I will look again.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroft View Post
    Very good, Rudi. You have a good lens there, I have one myself. Did you just do one shot at f/22, or is it stacked? You seem to have got very good DOF, even for f/22. The lighting is fine. Good shot.
    Thanks Rob. Only one shot at f22 this time. I did some stacks, not yet processed...

Real Name
    Rudi

Thanks David and John for comments.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Rudi, why is your cymbidium pinkish red? The one that I bought recently has greenish flowers...anyway, I like #2 best even if it is softer on the red dots of the flower. The first one I like the red dots because it is more sharper...( must my my eyeglasses...)

Real Name
    Dan

Hi Rudi,

I am now at home and looked with a better monitor. I don't know whether what I saw was a sharpening artifact. It might just be the way that flower is. The edges of the petals in some places seem to show very thin halos, which can arise from too much sharpening, particularly if a large radius is used. However, this might not be from sharpening at all. I can't tell from this.

Dan

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Hi Rudi,

I am now at home and looked with a better monitor. I don't know whether what I saw was a sharpening artifact. It might just be the way that flower is. The edges of the petals in some places seem to show very thin halos, which can arise from too much sharpening, particularly if a large radius is used. However, this might not be from sharpening at all. I can't tell from this.

Dan
    That might possibly be the structure of orchids. I have noticed this when shooting some orchids. They can have a whitish crystal effect on the petals, and in the past I thought I had over-sharpened.

Real Name
    Grahame

Very good Rudi. Your lighting has worked well with no glaring shadows.

I too think this is a bit too sharp but I also have a preference for not seeing every bit of a close up of orchids with all edges like a razor so I'm biased

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Rudi, why is your cymbidium pinkish red? The one that I bought recently has greenish flowers...anyway, I like #2 best even if it is softer on the red dots of the flower. The first one I like the red dots because it is more sharper...( must my my eyeglasses...)
    Sorry to disappoint you but we have only this pinkish red, a completely red and a pink Cymbidium .

Thanks for the comments. Hope all is well with your eyes...

Real Name
    Rudi

Hi Rudi,

Dan
    Thanks Dan for pointing out the thin halos, much appreciated. I must admit I had not noticed them before, I guess I was too busy with my lightning things.....
    I took a closer look to see iff I could determine what has happened.
    As Rob pointed out, it might be the structure of orchids. In real life the edges of some petals have a narrow distinctive white edge.
    For this shot, I carefully placed black cards between the flowers (the big chief was watching..).
    In post I darkened the background a bit more. This, the black cards and the flash might have 'enhanced' the white edge even more.
    A little sharpening after downsizing, and this was what I got.....Just my thoughts...

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Very good Rudi. Your lighting has worked well with no glaring shadows.

I too think this is a bit too sharp but I also have a preference for not seeing every bit of a close up of orchids with all edges like a razor so I'm biased
    Thanks Grahame for your comments, Always appreciated.
    Lucky me I didn't cut myself

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW Rudi...when I macro-shoot my orchids for the purposes of stacking and photo-merging for
    extra large images:
    I only sharpen in LR...when your that close, the petals do take-on a crystalline look that gives the
    appearance of high noise levels, lending to an over-sharpened "look" to the flower, especially when
    viewing at 100%.

Tis the nature of the beast!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    FWIW Rudi...when I macro-shoot my orchids for the purposes of stacking and photo-merging for
    extra large images:
    I only sharpen in LR...when your that close, the petals do take-on a crystalline look that gives the
    appearance of high noise levels, lending to an over-sharpened "look" to the flower, especially when
    viewing at 100%.

Tis the nature of the beast!
    If you sharpen in LR, which is how I also do most of my flowers, it can help to apply a fairly substantial masking, e.g., >50%. That will reduce the crystalline, noisy appearance, but it won't of course make much difference for the edges, which is what caught my eye in this case.

I have recently started playing with PS smart sharpen for some macro work, but frankly, I don't feel I understand it well yet. I have do more reading about it and experiment more.

BTW, I find that stacking itself sometimes can create a crystalline appearance, along with false specular highlights. That is one reason I often use Zerene DMap for flowers. It seems to do better at preserving textures, at the cost of a tad less detail (not always noticeable) than PMax.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Thanks for that info Dan...makes sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast