Thread: Street Artists

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Street Artists

Whilst wandering along the South Bank of the Thames, we enjoyed watching the skateboarders. Their skate park was under threat a while ago, but protests across a broad spectrum of the community has saved it as part of the London scene.

These photos are very experimental for me and the processing too. Although a colourful area, I saw them in B&W. I wanted to capture the movement of the skaters in their fixed concrete environment.

Street Artists

2 & 3 - the same image but processed differently - the first with the clarity slider pushed up and the second with it slid the other way - can't decide which is best, maybe they both have merit

Street Artists

Street Artists

4 I like the contrast here between the movement and the guy in the corner, seemingly doing nothing, but maybe the contrast is too much

Street Artists

Street Artists

Thoughts, areas for improvement, all C&C welcome

Real Name
    John

Re: Street Artists

Very ghostlike captures. Nicely done.

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Hi Kaye

These are very interesting, and you have captured them very well. I prefer #2 and #5 best. I've been doing some like this myself for the past month. I used a technique of actually moving the whole camera in a free-style movement. I assume yours were done on a tripod and a slow shutter. I know how difficult it is to get these right - I took hundreds of shots to get about 20 that were any good, and there's very little chance to judge how they are going to come out.

I wasn't sure about the B&W at first, but looking at them I think it works well for the subject area you were shooting in. Try some more!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

My favourite is #2. I was a little confused at first at what you were trying to achieve here but as I go through the succession of photographs, I understood. I think I like the ghostings but not as completely as #1...just my thoughts...

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks all for your comments - I enjoyed doing these and yes, will try some more.

Real Name
    Brian

WRT #2 & 3, if you keep the clarity high on everything except the skater, and then take the clarity on the skater to the lowest, that would make for a better overall composition. I like the concept and the B&W works well. My opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks Brian. And for the suggestion/good idea to try - it's a fine dividing line when an opinion becomes an idea, and yours most definitely crossed it.