Thread: Bridge to Grand Island NY.

Real Name
    Joe

Bridge to Grand Island NY.

The South Grand Island Bridge is a pair of twin two-lane truss arch bridges spanning the Niagara River between Tonawanda and Grand Island in New York. This shot was taken on a cloudy day with rain from time to time. The rain had stopped for a few minutes to allow this shot without my camera getting wet.
    ISO was 200, 39mm, f5, 1/125". Camera Canon T2i, lens 18-55mm.

Bridge to Grand Island NY.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Bridge to Grand Island NY.

Nice image Joe. I am someone who really likes images that have a lot of symmetry, and this one certainly does. You also nicely disprove that old adage that landscape / cityscape images should not be shot on an overcast day. There is just enough detail in the clouds to make this work.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also like the symmetry not just for itself but also because of the simplicity that it brings to the image. The simplicity is also enhanced by the dominant blue tones.

I would be very tempted to take the simplicity one step farther by cropping at the bottom to eliminate the vegetation and by converting to monochrome.

Real Name
    Richard

+1 to Mike's cropping comment...

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Joe, lovely colors and composition I agree with Mike about the crop or you can clone the bushes if possible in order not to spoil the composition. I'm sure that it would look great in B&W too, but if you asked my preference, I would say that it is the color version without seeing the B&W. I loved the colors in the image.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I also like the symmetry not just for itself but also because of the simplicity that it brings to the image. The simplicity is also enhanced by the dominant blue tones.

I would be very tempted to take the simplicity one step farther by cropping at the bottom to eliminate the vegetation and by converting to monochrome.
    +1 to Mike's comments, lovely image Joe.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Now that I have downloaded the image, I would crop using a 2:1 aspect ratio where the bottom edge is just above the vegetation. The result is a crop at both the top and bottom that is very appealing to me. I also confirmed that converting to monochrome works really well for me.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

I did toy with cropping to remove the bush, but in the end left them. I think its a good idea and will do so.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    +1 to Mike's cropping comment...
    I agree! Thanks Richard.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Joe, lovely colors and composition I agree with Mike about the crop or you can clone the bushes if possible in order not to spoil the composition. I'm sure that it would look great in B&W too, but if you asked my preference, I would say that it is the color version without seeing the B&W. I loved the colors in the image.
    Thanks Binnur. I like the blue against the grey sky. I will look at B&W but am leaning toward the colour.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    +1 to Mike's comments, lovely image Joe.
    Thanks Matt.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the perspective in this Joe...I do not mind the foreground and removing it I think will be just like any other shot -- too clean.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Joe

I like the composition and sharpness of this image. Well done. I wonder if you could warm the White balance up a little to make the water and sky a little less blue ? I expect to see the water between the two bridges a bit blue due to light reflected off the bridges but it's outside that area that I am referring to. You may have chosen this treatment deliberately of course in which case ignore me !

Oh and Izzie you suddenly look so much younger

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.