Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The REAL Father Christmas

Not Santa, this is the UK

The REAL Father Christmas

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: The REAL Father Christmas

Interesting composition, Jeremy. I like the lights growing out of the top of his head. Had it been my shot, I would have probably worked to avoid them, and in that process I would have missed what turns out to be a very interesting shot. You certainly do have to know how and when to "break the rules".

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Interesting composition, Jeremy. I like the lights growing out of the top of his head. Had it been my shot, I would have probably worked to avoid them, and in that process I would have missed what turns out to be a very interesting shot. You certainly do have to know how and when to "break the rules".
    Thank you my friend, however I am not too big to admit it was luck, pure and simple.
    Last edited by JR1; 17th December 2014 at 06:47 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not sure sure, Jeremy. I find that something will catch my eye and I will take an absolutely brilliant picture, and I can't quite figure out what made me stop to take the shot. I can usually figure it out when I get home and pull it up on the computer screen. I often wonder if something we call "experience" is at play, and our subconcious recognizes something, even though our concious mind hasn't quite caught up yet. I find that this is true for things that I have a lot of expertise in, not just photography.

Regardless, brilliant and unusual framing, pure and simple luck or not.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I'm not sure sure, Jeremy. I find that something will catch my eye and I will take an absolutely brilliant picture, and I can't quite figure out what made me stop to take the shot. I can usually figure it out when I get home and pull it up on the computer screen. I often wonder if something we call "experience" is at play, and our subconcious recognizes something, even though our concious mind hasn't quite caught up yet. I find that this is true for things that I have a lot of expertise in, not just photography.

Regardless, brilliant and unusual framing, pure and simple luck or not.
    The f2.8 Nikkor 70-200 has a great effect though I looooooooove the lens

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    The f2.8 Nikkor 70-200 has a great effect though I looooooooove the lens
    Yes, definitely my "go to" lens for those types of shots; shoot at or close to wide open. However, one does stick out; it's not exactly for stealth shooting and it sure isn't the lightest piece of glass around...

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Yes, definitely my "go to" lens for those types of shots; shoot at or close to wide open. However, one does stick out; it's not exactly for stealth shooting and it sure isn't the lightest piece of glass around...
    So you have this lens, how do you find it overall, I have just started using it

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    So you have this lens, how do you find it overall, I have just started using it
    This is my primary portrait lens and is really my go to lens for most of my work where I am shooting an individual. I probably use it for about 40% of my total shots (the f/2.8 24-70mm lens is probably used for around 55% of my shooting, and the rest is done with my other lenses. It's not the most compact or lightest of lenses, but is a fast lens with excellent performance characteristics. I use it a fair bit in my street photography; the stuff I do tends to be something I refer to as "street portraiture", rather than the wider view found in most street photography.

I know that this lens has been criticized for having a focal length closer to 135mm at the minimum focus distance, but have never found this to be a significant limitation.

My other portrait lens is the Nikkor f/2 105mm DC, and I tend to use that in more controlled shooting conditions. I tend to stand a bit further back from my subjects than other photographers I know. I find that a lot of people that I shoot tend to have a larger "personal space" requirement, so I went with it, rather than with an 85mm lens. I don't like crowding my subjects.