Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two young women from the wrong side of the tracks - Jaipur

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Two young women from the wrong side of the tracks - Jaipur

The one thing that really amazed me about India is how even the poorest people took such pride in their appearance. This shot was taken as we were walking up to the Monkey Temple, which was located in a very poor part of Jaipur, India. These people were living in conditions one step down from the shanty town, but were still beautifully dressed and quite friendly. I caught a quick shot just as these two looked at me.

We got going a lot later than planned (someone who shall not be named was too busy shopping to get going on time), so we got to the area shortly before sundown. This shot was taken about 5 minutes after sunset, so I put my camera on fully automatic to see if I could get some salvagable images. Taken at /160th at f/5.6 at ISO 12800; yes the shot is noisy, but less that I had expected so with a bit of noise reduction, it's actually a reasonably usable image.

Two young women from the wrong side of the tracks - Jaipur
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th December 2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updated image - slight PP on the faces

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Two young women from the wrong side of the tracks - Jaipur

I can live with the noise, that is a very pleasing image, as I am sure you know.

One thing puzzles me. It must be 25 years since I was in Rajasthan, but the ladies then were reluctant to be photographed, especially full faced. How did you find it?

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I can live with the noise, that is a very pleasing image, as I am sure you know.

One thing puzzles me. It must be 25 years since I was in Rajasthan, but the ladies then were reluctant to be photographed, especially full faced. How did you find it?

Dave

People in areas that were frequented by tourists seemed to be more adverse to being photographed than those in areas that were off the beaten track (like the one where I took this shot). In the tourist areas I had to be a lot more subtle when taking pictures, and eye contact shots were quite infrequent.

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Excellent portrait shot. Fine colours in the clothing, and textures in the wall. Two subjects don't normally work, but I think that big wall crack adds a third element. Nicely done.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured and even though the region can be very dusty, the garments always look clean.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice and colorful shot