Thread: Plugin bypasses Lightroom Import module (Windows only)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Plugin bypasses Lightroom Import module (Windows only)

This plugin very handily allows you to import files into Lightroom 4 or 5 without using the Import module. Depending on the option you select, it will also let you know whether the image you are about to import is already in the catalog.

Note that the information explains that using it with Lightroom 5 is "preferable" and that it also works with Lightroom 4. I use it with Lightroom 5 and never tried it using version 4.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Plugin bypasses Lightroom Import module (Windows only)

I'm not sure that I get the point Mike...why not use the import module?

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I'm not sure that I get the point Mike...why not use the import module?
    Me too - help us out, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    why not use the import module?
    When using the Import module, I have to display Lightroom, use its browser to find the files, select the desired files to import, deselect all other files in the same folder I don't want to import, and finally click the Import button.

Instead, I have configured the plugin's .bat file in my cataloging software as external software. I simply select the pertinent file(s) in my cataloging software as part of my everyday workflow and automatically import them in Lightroom using the plugin. The plugin is easily launched by clicking an icon displayed in my cataloging software or using that software's keyboard shortcut. That process is far faster.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 16th December 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Real Name
    Robert

I do not find it particularly hard to-
    1. Open Lightroom
    2. Click the "Import" Button
    3. Mouse drag a whole folder or some selected images onto the LR import screen. (from File Explorer)
    4. Add... Click Import... All done!

I would be just curious to know if the "File Watcher" plugin is just another way of using Lightroom's "Watched Folder" Auto-import feature?

Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    I do not find it particularly hard to-
    1. Open Lightroom
    2. Click the "Import" Button
    3. Mouse drag a whole folder or some selected images onto the LR import screen. (from File Explorer)
    4. Add... Click Import... All done!
    You're right that it's not "hard." However, compare all of that to what I do using the plugin:
    1. Select the images in my cataloging software, which is what I would be using at this point in my workflow (with no need to change to it, Windows Explorer, or any other software).
    2. Click the plugin icon.

Real Name
    Dave

I guess so Mike, but for many (most? ) Lightroom users, Lightroom IS the catalogue, so I don't think it would add much to my workflow. Thanks for the heads up though.

Incidentally, I think Explorer is a pretty dire piece of software. Directory Opus, which does cost, is just so much more functional and usable. It would be one of the first pieces of software I would install on a new machine, certainly ahead of Lightroom.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    but for many (most? ) Lightroom users, Lightroom IS the catalogue, so I don't think it would add much to my workflow.
    I agree, Dave. Anyone using the Lightroom catalog for the purposes of cataloging (as opposed to using it only because Lightroom forces us to import image files into to it before doing anything to them) wouldn't find this plugin especially helpful, if at all.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th December 2014 at 12:55 PM.

Real Name
    Yes

Must admit lightroom changed my way of handling imports - now its select. rename, select folder/subfolder. It stops me double importing and so on. On to map function and geotag images from GPX file, if not already geotagged.
    Cannot see why I need to use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Must admit lightroom changed my way of handling imports - now its select. rename, select folder/subfolder.....
    adds keywords automatically, sets the colour metadata to Green*, applies a development preset to all the images; and makes a duplicate backup copy of the files to a hard drive or my choice. All automatically via an import preset (of which you can have multiple ones for different cameras/clients/genres of photography etc).

* All RAWs are automatically set to Green. When I create a TIFF/JPEG etc I set it to Red and Virtual copies are set to Yellow, so I can easily see which files are which.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Directory Opus, which does cost, is just so much more functional and usable. It would be one of the first pieces of software I would install on a new machine, certainly ahead of Lightroom.
    Dave
    OT, but that got my interest, Dave. Does it's Viewer shows TIFFs by any chance? Dare I ask if shows thumbnails of RAW files?

[edit] Spoke too soon. Just found this:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/dcrawrap/ [/edit]
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 30th December 2014 at 03:51 PM.