Thread: Stone Wall Builder - C&C Welcomed

Real Name
    Kim

Stone Wall Builder - C&C Welcomed

The day I shot the cows (couple of images posted here), I met this 75+ year old man (Joe) who was rebuilding this stone wall. His church auctioned his services off to the highest bidder. (fundraiser) He didn't set any parameters; as a result he's rebuilding a 250 foot section of a wall for the highest bidder. A great guy; a significant task for anyone, no matter the age.

ISO 400; F6.3; 66mm; 1/1250

His face is a bit soft. It was under exposed and I worked with my mentor PP to bring it back to life.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Stone Wall Builder - C&C Welcomed

This is a prime example of an image that would have benefited from the judicious use of fill flash...

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This is a prime example of an image that would have benefited from the judicious use of fill flash...
    Yes, I agree Richard. My reference to bring it back to life was... The lesson was about bringing something back with the proper tools...this photo had a lot of issues - one of my most heavily processed images...

Real Name
    John

Nice effort, looking forward to seeing other edits.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Interesting image, Kim....Glad you are able to find a good mentor to bring his face back to life as you like it so.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Interesting image, Kim....Glad you are able to find a good mentor to bring his face back to life as you like it so.
    It was more about the exercise Izzie, as I do have better images of this man...next time I display an exercise I'll display SOOC as well.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Kim, I like the image, IMO it also works fine if it is converted to B&W

Real Name
    Richard

I tried the using NIK Plugins for Photoshop CS6. I globally increased the contrast, saturation (just a TAD), structure (a lot), and also used a selection point to adjust his face.

I really respect this gentleman! I am 74 (will be 75 in June) and I could not imagine building a wall like this at my age...

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Hi Kim

Your settings were ISO 400; F6.3; 66mm; 1/1250

I think had you used ISO100 f/4 1/800s (I think that's right) you would have blurred more of the background, got finer detail without noise, and still had a steady exposure speed. But the real improvement would come by using diffused flash on the guy and the front wall. Also, try to remove any obstructive elements such as that broom handle before you shoot.

I'm 62 and I might not be able to build a wall like that...

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I tried the using NIK Plugins for Photoshop CS6. I globally increased the contrast, saturation (just a TAD), structure (a lot), and also used a selection point to adjust his face.]

I really respect this gentleman! I am 74 (will be 75 in June) and I could not imagine building a wall like this at my age...
    Thanks for sharing your rendition Richard. You def brought back even more life... I personally always find it helpful (and I suspect others do too) when there is a less than perfect picture and others share viewpoints and renderings (and as you all know by now, I don't mind if people touch my images). That's where I really learn.

Joe is a wonderful man. I don't think he realized what he was getting into -- he said next time he will put limitations on the service being auctioned.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroft View Post
    Hi Kim

Your settings were ISO 400; F6.3; 66mm; 1/1250

I think had you used ISO100 f/4 1/800s (I think that's right) you would have blurred more of the background, got finer detail without noise, and still had a steady exposure speed. But the real improvement would come by using diffused flash on the guy and the front wall. Also, try to remove any obstructive elements such as that broom handle before you shoot.

I'm 62 and I might not be able to build a wall like that...

Thanks for taking the time to comment Rob and share your suggestions.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Kim, I like the image, IMO it also works fine if it is converted to B&W

Thanks Binnur -- I'll have to give B&W a try on the other better images I have of Joe.

Real Name
    Richard

Kim wrote...
    "I personally always find it helpful (and I suspect others do too) when there is a less than perfect picture and others share viewpoints and renderings (and as you all know by now, I don't mind if people touch my images). That's where I really learn."

Kim, I feel the same way. Often I see something wrong and am too lazy to correct it (hoping others might miss it) and it helps counteract my laziness when someone points out the correction. Equally as often, I completely miss a correction which would improve the image. That's when I really learn....

Real Name
    Dave

I Kim,

I think enough has been said about the image, but I had no idea that there is a stone walling tradition in the USA. Around where I live, there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles of dry stone walling. The area is called the Peak District. There is the Dark Peak, where the walls are made from Gritstone, and the White Peak where they are made from limestone. I guess it highlights our common heritage.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

Dave,

We have a stone wall building tradition in our New England area. I am positive that the stone wall tradition was brought over by the English who colonized that area and that tradition was kept alive by the numerous stones which needed to be removed from the fields before they could be tilled.

Although other areas of America were settled by English Colonists, such as Virginia and the other Southern States, the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine seemed to have kept the English traditions most closely.

My wife's ancestors, who arrived on the first Puritan ships, were some of the original settlers of Massachusetts. The names of the towns that they settled reflect England from which they came. Much of Connecticut was settled by colonists from Massachusetts.

Real Name
    mark

Binnur,Exactly my thought.