Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D810 vs D750

Nikon D810 vs D750

Does anyone have experiences with either camera Nikon D810 or D750 that would help me to compare, and ultimately decide which one to purchase? I shoot street photo documentary, nature, some stage performances. Besides image quality I'm could use some info on handling and the ease of handling. Also, a suggestion for a lens? My budget is $3000 - $3500, not much higher.

Thanks,
    Sam E

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Nikon D810 vs D750

In that case, you've already ruled out the D810, as that will eat up most of your budget, without even looking at lenses. With its high resolution sensor, you would probably want to be shooting with Nikon's pro glass, and these lenses are in the $2000+ range each.

I shoot the D800 and most of my work is with the f/2.8 24-70mm lens and f/2,8 70-200mm lens. You probably want the fast glass for the indoor stage work. Nature shots cover a very wide range of shooting, so you'll have to be a bit more specific. As for street photography, this depends on your shooting style, Some photographers avoid large DSLRs and shoot smaller, less noticeable cameras, while others shoot full-frame cameras (I do both). Again, some people get up close and intimate with their subjects and others hang back and are more stealthy in their shooting.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Funny - I was reading a review only yesterday, by a photographer called Ryan Brenizer:

http://ryanbrenizer.com/2014/10/revi...d750-and-d810/

Real Name
    Adrian

That was an excellent review and there are some great shots on his site. I would employ him!

Real Name
    Phil Page

He's good, and known well for his panorama style of shooting which has become known as the Brenizer effect

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Sam,

A question only you can answer.

The D750 is a top end enthusiast camera whilst the D810 is a completely different camera for, well lets call them, dedicated Photographers.

The D810 is an “unforgiving” camera. It does not tolerate any mistakes made by the user.

The D750 can do what the D810 can, just not with so much detail.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I don't have experience of the 750, I use the 810, and it is what is known as a PRO camera, though I don't believe in that carp, as many a PRO could and will use a basic beginners camera and outshoot people like me.

I use the 810 for Astronomy, and have combined it with the Siggy 160-500

Nikon D810 vs D750

Yes I know any DSLR and long lens can do this, but I also shoot weddings, landscapes etc and wanted the best, will I ever use it to it's full potential, NO

Don't even consider the 810 for "street photography", too large, to get the "best" you need a tripod, it really is the DSLR equal of a medium format camera.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Don't even consider the 810 for "street photography", too large,
    I'm in danger of taking your little barbs personally, Jeremy

ciao

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I'm in danger of taking your little barbs personally, Jeremy

ciao
    1. This is MY OWN PERSONAL opinion

2. It was NOT aimed at anyone as to be honest I don't read what people use or do so I have NO idea what you use personally, no where does it say here what your gear is like mine and others, even if it did I am still entitled to MY opinion even if it differs to yours and others that is what forums are for.

3. If you mistakenly believe it was aimed at you then that is not my fault

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    The D810 is an “unforgiving” camera. It does not tolerate any mistakes made by the user.
    I'm really not sure why you would say that; completely inaccurate in my opinion.

The D810 is a refresh of the D800 and is quite a usable camera (I've been using the D800 from the day they became available in Canada). I would suggest that if the D810 was too much camera, they would likely have issues getting good shots out of a D750.

Having just spent shooting a higher end amateur camera daily for the past couple of months, I would have to say I would have had more "keepers" had I had my D800 along with me on the trip.

Real Name
    Phil Page

2. It was NOT aimed at anyone as to be honest I don't read what people use or do so I have NO idea what you use personally, no where does it say here what your gear is like mine and others, even if it did I am still entitled to MY opinion even if it differs to yours and others that is what forums are for.

Yeah right

But to return back the the subject of the thread - both are fantastic cameras, the D750 outperforms the D810 at high ISO, the D810 has 36MP to 24MP and for critical work, I agree, to get the very very best out of it a tripod can be helpful but that should not put you off using it for hand held work at all.

I wouldn't PERSONALLY (sorry, was I shouting there) mind using it for street work - where often to capture movement close up you're shooting at 1/200th to 1/500th which should negate any small shake that the camera's resolution may pick up at slower speeds.

ISO64 and down to 32 with Low1 on the D810 - can be very useful with fast primes and shallow DoF in bright light, if that's your thing

1/8000th second on the D810 - again, this can be very useful in bright light with primes

The main thing I'd consider is what I was coming from when moving to a D750/D810 - regarding body size and ergonomics - from a D7*** or D6** I'd not notice the move to a D750, but from a D7**, D8**, D3/4 I certainly would.
    Last edited by dubaiphil; 11th December 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As someone, like Phil, who regularly uses an full-frame body with battery grip and an f/2.8 70-200mm lens for street photography, I too would take exception to that. That being said, I fully admit it is not always the right choice, so I do at time use a smaller mFT camera for some of my work.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    As someone, like Phil, who regularly uses an full-frame body with battery grip and an f/2.8 70-200mm lens for street photography, I too would take exception to that. That being said, I fully admit it is not always the right choice, so I do at time use a smaller mFT camera for some of my work.
    Why! take exception to a comment made by someone that is their opinion, right or wrong it is "their" view, and I justified the comments clearly by stating that "I" would never do it justice, most of what you read on forums clealy states that to get the most out of it you need a tripod and a good understanding of the camera, and that I, me, personally, consider it too large for street photography, as in being inconspicuous, which is why quiet, small Leicas have always been the camera of older choice.

Remember forums are for personal opinions or we would all be driving the same colour and make of car, all wear jeans and all use Canons.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Sorry to Sam, but to close things from my end I feel as if I need to reply.

Forums are indeed for personal opinions - they are also written - written text can be construed in many ways without the additional information of visual or audible clues that a face to face conversation gives. Therefore they can be misread.

So your original comment, saying that the D810 was not the correct equipment for street photography, is indeed an opinion. However the use of inverted commas can be considered purely in its written format as sarcasm or superiority over someone that shoots street photography. Imagine a face to face conversation and someone motions inverted commas while accentuating something that they are saying.

Now in isolation this could be purely a case of me misreading your original post. However there have been several instances of provocative posts, hence my comment.

"I don't read what people use or do so I have NO idea what you use personally" - Jeremy, you have been a member of this forum for over a year with over 800 posts. That seems a very strange comment. Particularly when I offered assistance on locations for street photography in London to you earlier this year which you were thankful for. Particularly when you posted a thread on the used street value of D700's recently. Etc, etc.

This forum is a very friendly environment where people of all backgrounds and nationalities can exchange knowledge and opinions - it is quite unique when you consider what other options are out there. Let's please keep this going, without the undertones (or what could be read as undertones) getting in the way of things. Otherwise people who may have valid and constructive opinions, and offer assistance and information both publically and through private messaging, may be driven away from CiC.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Why! take exception to a comment made by someone that is their opinion, right or wrong it is "their" view, and I justified the comments clearly by stating that "I" would never do it justice, most of what you read on forums clealy states that to get the most out of it you need a tripod and a good understanding of the camera, and that I, me, personally, consider it too large for street photography, as in being inconspicuous, which is why quiet, small Leicas have always been the camera of older choice.

Remember forums are for personal opinions or we would all be driving the same colour and make of car, all wear jeans and all use Canons.
    And of course what Phil and I posted are our opinions, based on our experience which run counter to yours.

By suggesting we don't agree with your view on this particular topic lets the reader understand that there are a multitude of opinions out there and that there is no "magic formula" or a one size fits all solution. One has to find out what does and does not work for them personally, and no amount of reading or other peoples opinion are going to be as good as getting out and trying it out for themselves.

I recently watched some videos of well known photographer Zack Arias views on street photography; and he (like Cartier-Bresson) advocate the small, unobtrusive camera. I understand why they shoot (or in Cartier-Bresson's case, the past tense is appropriate) the way they do, but frankly their style is not my style.

This is a shot my wife took of me doing street photography in Guatamala, earlier this year. I am hardly sneaking through the streets, hiding from the people. I do hide "in plain sight" even though I stick out like a sore thumb. And I get lots of decent images this way.

Nikon D810 vs D750

By rights, I shouldn't have gotten any good shots. Here is a link to some of my shots from that week; not 100% street photography, but certainly the majority are (or in my view, street portraiture, which is probably a more apt description of my style): https://www.flickr.com/photos/524694...7640706382433/

Real Name
    Phil Page

As someone who has sat through several of Zach Arias' talks and seminars (at Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai), which is heavily sponsored by Fuji, there is no official relationship between him and the manufacturer but definitely an unofficial one - so he will plug Fuji at every opportunity

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Forums are indeed for personal opinions - they are also written - written text can be construed in many ways without the additional information of visual or audible clues that a face to face conversation gives. Therefore they can be misread.

So your original comment, saying that the D810 was not the correct equipment for street photography, is indeed an opinion. However the use of inverted commas can be considered purely in its written format as sarcasm or superiority over someone that shoots street photography. Imagine a face to face conversation and someone motions inverted commas while accentuating something that they are saying.

Now in isolation this could be purely a case of me misreading your original post. However there have been several instances of provocative posts, hence my comment.

"I don't read what people use or do so I have NO idea what you use personally" - Jeremy, you have been a member of this forum for over a year with over 800 posts. That seems a very strange comment. Particularly when I offered assistance on locations for street photography in London to you earlier this year which you were thankful for. Particularly when you posted a thread on the used street value of D700's recently. Etc, etc.

This forum is a very friendly environment where people of all backgrounds and nationalities can exchange knowledge and opinions - it is quite unique when you consider what other options are out there. Let's please keep this going, without the undertones (or what could be read as undertones) getting in the way of things. Otherwise people who may have valid and constructive opinions, and offer assistance and information both publically and through private messaging, may be driven away from CiC.
    As you say it is not that simple, I could just now have said it is NOT that simple, NOT in capitals, simply to make a point, and not shouting, that can be mis understood.

Listen, making a generalisation here, no one here speaks the Queens English, I think as a dyslexic relying on spell, grammar and my sons checks I do pretty well in my comments and responses.

Also I and I am not alone, often do not read all the posts in a post, what should we do, begin a reply with, "apologies if my personal opinion offends, it is not intended, nor is it aimed at any one individual"

As for inverted commas, perhaps street photography, orstreet photography or street photography street photography would have been better

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

As you say it is not that simple, I could just now have said it is NOT that simple, NOT in capitals, simply to make a point, and not shouting, that can be mis understood.

Listen, making a generalisation here, no one here speaks the Queens English, I think as a dyslexic relying on spell, grammar and my sons checks I do pretty well in my comments and responses.

Also I and I am not alone, often do not read all the posts in a post, what should we do, begin a reply with, "apologies if my personal opinion offends, it is not intended, nor is it aimed at any one individual"

As for inverted commas, perhaps street photography, orstreet photography or street photography street photography would have been better

Real Name
    Adrian

Actually, my good man, I do speak the Queen's English.

That said I am not a royalist and do not acknowledge her ownership of our fine, though somewhat mongrel, language.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    ...The D810 is an “unforgiving” camera. It does not tolerate any mistakes made by the user...
    Most people who make statements like this either don't shoot a D800/810 or are pixel peeping laboratory shooters. As one who, like Manfred, shot a D800E from day one and couldn't wait to get my hands on the D810, I don't understand all the fuss. IMO the D810 is the best all around camera produced by Nikon. But I put it to work.

Comparing the two bodies in question, one has to decide what one needs/wants. Considering the budget indicated, as Manfred pointed out, the D810 won't leave much for purchasing a lens. The ergonomics are slightly different and the D810 has a few more features which likely only matter if one fully utilizes customizing controls etc. One thing that is often misrepresented in blogs/reviews is ISO performance. Pure out of camera ISO performance of the D750 is better. Some of the reported ISO test results of the D800/810 are achieved through downsampling. So if one plans on utilizing the full resolution of the sensor then one needs to be aware that it gets pretty noisy above ISO 1600 or so.

Honestly if one is even asking the question posed in the OP, the D750 is likely a better choice. The 810 is an excellent piece of kit but is substantially higher cost and not worth it if one isn't specifically interested in the benefits of the high resolution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast