Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Best darn value in a Canon flash...

Real Name
    Richard

Best darn value in a Canon flash...

If anyone needs a flash for a Canon DSLR and wants to save money, a used 420EX can be had on USA eBay, usually between $50 and $70 USD. I don't know what the U.K. prices are but, suspect that it is also less expensive there than are the other full size Canon hotshoe units...

The down-side is that the flash cannot be used in manual mode. However, it is spot-on in TTL and the flash has high speed sync capability. I use my hotshoe flash most often in TTL mode, often with my camera in manual mode.

Additionally, the 420EX is the smallest full-size hotshoe flash from Canon. It is nice to tote around "just in case" a flash is needed.

I have several Canon flashes (420EX, 430EX, 550EX and 600EX-RT) and I still get a lot of use out of the 420EX.

I virtually always bounce this flash and modify the light output with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro. The advantage of the Flash Diffuser Pro is that the same unit can be used on every one of my hotshoe flash units...

Real Name
    Yes

Re: Best darn value in a Canon flash...

The 420ex is not campatiblle with most third party flash control, the 430 is better.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Best darn value in a Canon flash...

Perhaps the better title for this post might have been, the "cheapest hotshoe flash with TTL and HSS"

The 420ex is not campatiblle with most third party flash control, the 430 is better.

I agree that the 420EX is not compatible with most third party flash controls. However, the 420EX is compatible with being controlled by a Canon EX flash unit that has master capabilities such as the 550EX or the 600EX-RT (although it cannot be radio controlled by the 600EX-RT).

I would guess that, many folks who are looking for an inexpensive first flash, do not intend to shoot with multiple flash setups but, rather expect to shoot with a single flash.

You simply cannot find a flash that is TTL capable and also has HSS capability at the price point of a used 420EX (from $50 to $70 USD). Additionally the size and weight of the 420EX makes it nicely compatible with the smaller Rebel series DSLR cameras. If you are planning to use a hotshoe mounted flash, the 550EX or 600EX-RT size and weight is somewhat overbearing for a Rebel sized body. I purchased the 420EX years ago with plans to use it on a Canon Rebel. I got rid of the Rebel because I did not like its ergonomics but, kept using the 420EX when I wanted a rather light weight flash.

IMO, for a person who plans on using a single flash primarily, the 420EX is a better solution than a Yongnuo flash with no HSS capability and no TTL exposure control...

It is certainly more versatile that the 270EXii but weighs only five and a half ounces more...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th December 2014 at 10:24 PM.