Thread: My New killer PC build for photographers

Real Name
    E. James

My New killer PC build for photographers

Corsair 900D case, ASUS X99 Deluxe LGA 2011-v3 motherboard, Haswell-E Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz cpu, Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler & thermal paste, Corsair 1200i power supply, Crucial 32GB memory, EVGA GeForce 970 video card, 12 TB storage with USB 3 external 4TB backup, nine fans.

What do you do with all this power...

My New killer PC build for photographers

Build panoramas in Photoshop or PTGUI of course...

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: My New killer PC build for photographers

Would go well with my old 9" CRT mono monitor circa 1981.... Go on tell us what monitor it is attached to.

Real Name
    Barry

I am not over keen when forums are used as a vehicle for bragging.

Real Name
    E. James

Oddly enough a 10 year old Apple Cinema 30" but I would like a monitor with a wider gamut. Anyway, I honestly think it is a good rig for photographers who need a lot of storage and a system with some horsepower. It certainty is a good place to start for a new system.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Those are impressive specs indeed. I am using Noctua NH D-14 which is a monster alongwith HAF 932 case.

Real Name
    Adrian

The things that I find a constraint with PCs or Macs is the ability to multi task effectively without lag, run video editing smoothly and run multiple screens. SSD has helped a lot in recent years. Operating systems, including Win 8 and Yosemite, seem to be a limiting factor as software houses try to monetize everything with bloatware (and with smartphones it is worse).

I am just starting to consider 4k screens in my office (the work one, not home one) so that will be my own next area of attention.

(Presently running a very high spec mac pro, just a couple of months old, and two large new mac screens. I use a lot of processing power for advanced mathematical modelling of financial instruments, so the photo use is just a side benefit. That said the photo and vid software noticeably slows things down. I have a sneaky suspicion that software is much more of a limiting factor than hardware).

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Acorn..if you have just acquired a new killer PC, you would be proud to. If you do not like the topic, move on...I certainly am jealous of his set-up and soon, if Ed did not tell us right off what it is very soon someone like me will ask...

Ed -- 12 TB of working space is huge. 'am jealous... but in the meantime I will stick to what I have at the moment and be a better photographer first.

Real Name
    John

..................nine fans ! - and earmuffs? Adrian, your comments surprise me (not saying your wrong) because I run a W7 set up of a similar spec to that described except for the amount storage and I regularly multi task without any problems e.g. I regularly watch a TV programme or a recorded video whilst deep in the realms of CS6 (sad I know). Where I do come up short is in processing large multi Layer TIFF files (anything up to 1GB) but that's a memory shortfall I think (only 16GB at the moment).

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I just spent £4k on a new gaming pc for my son, I have his old !!!!, one I bought him 7 months ago

He wanted two graphic cards for his three monitors, why......................

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Ed,

Ah'd ditch the Noctua and 9 fans will be operating against one another - ah'd water cool this system. Ah'd also put my OC'd Maximus Vl Impact up against it. Less bells n' whistles but then , bells n' whistles rob power...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm happy to be the first to comment about the photo. The perspective provided by the ferris wheel makes it!

Real Name
    George

I don't understand, what's the influence of the pc on the shown photo?

George

Real Name
    E. James

I fear water cooling because I have seen too many pipes leak.

The relationship to the image is this: The old computer took much longer to process photomerging and 3D renderings which i also do.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

My only comment about the computer specifications is that the storage seems a bit imbalanced. 12TB seems a little excessive and the external backup too small in comparison. A raid system would be good for backup.

I quite like the picture and especially the judicious amount of perspective and the sharpness and clarity. It doesn't look like a particularly interesting place to be though.

Real Name
    John

I'd be willing to bet my 3.6ghz 4 core 8 thread Xeon cost a lot less and also runs faster and came with 34months on site warentee when I bought it. Only 24gb memory but could hold rather a lot more and even has a cooling duct for it's parity ram. I put up with 3x232gb plus 120gb of storage as I am not keen on higher density drives. It also has several USB3 ports, card reader and the usual dvd drive etc. Fan's 2 so it's probably quieter too especially as the case is built like a tank. I don't run much of a graphics card because I have found there is little point for what I use it for so it's an nvidia clone that comes without a fan. These go by the name silent what ever usually made by Asus.

I used to build them but seriously these days I feel there is little point. It's even hard to get true workstation motherboards as well so best buy a machine with one in.

The heatsink is a through flow type so doesn't need cleaning out very often and the cpu runs fairly cool and doesn't reach max temperature with a very severe stress test running on all 8 cores.

Good shot though.

John
    -

Real Name
    E. James

Yes, the Haswell-E motherboard does have lots of SATA 6Gb/s connections and USB 3 ports so speed is not the paramount concern, options are. The larger case and 10 SATA ports allow me to assemble a host of lost and misplaced hard drives under one roof. Granted, I bow before the Xeon chip.