Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bridge over the frozen river

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    6
    Real Name
    Tirtha

    Bridge over the frozen river

    This bridge over the Still Water Lake is the connector between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Took lots of pictures in this spot but the wind was too strong and Temp was 30 below zero. I was shaking madly and able to capture only this one properly.

    Bridge over the frozen river

    C&C please.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th April 2010 at 08:22 PM.

  2. #2
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Cor that's cold. It is very dramatic with the clouds as they are.

  3. #3

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    A very strong composition, Tirtha. I like the sense of depth created by the bridge, and the foreground snow, which is unexpected, adds interest. I thought the bridge itself could do with the shadows lifting very slightly. I did an edit, if that's OK - all I did was select and feather the main part of the bridge and used adjustment/shadows&highlights to lighten the shadows.

    The profile of the shot is Adobe RGB (normal working profile) When you save for the web they say it's better to use sRGB as it's supposed to look better/sharper - although yours looks OK here. I also noticed it was 900 pix long. I thought the max here was 700pix. If I do a reply with quote your original goes back to 900pix and spills over the page, even though it looks OK when viewed normally. Strange...

    Bridge over the frozen river

  4. #4
    PopsPhotos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington (state) USA
    Posts
    984
    Real Name
    Pops

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    It will spill over the page in post preview. Once you post it, though you will see the normal reduction, with click option. Post preview doesn't resize.

    Pops

  5. #5

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    It will spill over the page in post preview. Once you post it, though you will see the normal reduction, with click option. Post preview doesn't resize.

    Pops
    Thanks Pops. Dave sent me a PM detailing how it works. It must be worth saving your file at 700pix though, because if you save at 900 you will need to reduce the file image quality to get it down to a required size. No point in saving at 900 if it's subsequently reduced to 700pix.

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,234
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Thanks Pops. Dave sent me a PM detailing how it works. It must be worth saving your file at 700pix though, because if you save at 900 you will need to reduce the file image quality to get it down to a required size. No point in saving at 900 if it's subsequently reduced to 700pix.
    Dave didn't do it too well though
    Trouble is, it is VERY complex - there are so many things that can cause images to behave differently for individual members;
    - 4 different hosting methods (albums, attachments, TinyPic and external - and all are useful)
    - Loads of different browsers, and further whether the user has the browser window zoomed in/out from 100% and whether they have it in full screen (F11) mode (I don't mean windows maximised)
    - Then their screen resolution also has an effect, especially the vertical dimension which might be 768, 800, 1024, 1050, 1080 the lytebox 'fits to screen' without indicating if it has achieved 100% or not, and downsizing on the fly if it can't.

    That's why the only reasonably foolproof way is to right click and image and open in a new tab/window,
    or look at the image properties dialog to see:
    Bridge over the frozen river

    Tirtha's (externally hosted) picture can be viewed at 900px by clicking on it, so it isn't 700px with permanent IQ loss in this case, that's just how it shows in the thread initially (and Sean went to some trouble to get the best quality from the downsize).

    It is unfortunate that the previous legend we had below a picture that told everyone what the "Dimensions" were, so they could work out how much bigger it would get if clicked, has disappeared.

    Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th April 2010 at 09:33 AM.

  7. #7

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Trouble is, it is VERY complex - there are so many things that can cause images to behave differently for individual members;
    - 4 different hosting methods
    - Loads of different browsers - and further whether the user has the window zoomed in or out from 100% and whether they have it in full screen mode
    - Then their screen resolution also has an effect, especially the vertical dimension which might be 768, 800, 1024, 1050, 1080

    Tirtha's (externally hosted) picture can be viewed at 900px by clicking on it, so it isn't 700px with permanent IQ loss in this case, that's just how it shows in the thread initially (and Sean went to some trouble to get the best quality from the downsize).
    I never tried this before but... if I reset the viewing size of my browser (Firefox) back to the default setting by doing a CTRL/0 Tirtha's shot looks a lot smaller and so, of course, does the text and everything on the forum page. If I then click on his shot it gets displayed in the pop-up window much larger (presumably at 900pix) If I go back to my usual setting of magnifications which is four clicks up (CTRL/++++) there is no difference between looking at Tirtha's shot on the forum page and clicking on the image - they are the same size. I use that level of magnification because I have a widescreen monitor of 22in and it's easier to read. IOW I probably already was looking at his shot at 900pix?

    I just read that back and it doesn't make this any clearer does it?

  8. #8
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,234
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I never tried this before but... if I reset the viewing size of my browser (Firefox) back to the default setting by doing a CTRL/0 Tirtha's shot looks a lot smaller and so, of course, does the text and everything on the forum page. If I then click on his shot it gets displayed in the pop-up window much larger (presumably at 900pix) If I go back to my usual setting of magnifications which is four clicks up (CTRL/++++) there is no difference between looking at Tirtha's shot on the forum page and clicking on the image - they are the same size. I use that level of magnification because I have a widescreen monitor of 22in and it's easier to read. IOW I probably already was looking at his shot at 900pix?
    Hi Rob,

    First thing to say is I went back and clarified the above post since you grabbed this quote, sorry.

    I think viewing like that (CTRL/++++) is upsizing the downsized image of 700px. You might want to compare sharpness between the lytebox clicked image at CTRL/0 and the default size at CTRL/++++, even if they appear physically the same, I suspect one will be better than the other, but I really don't know, my screen is too small (sob).

  9. #9

    Re: Bridge over the frozen river

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rob,

    First thing to say is I went back and clarified the above post since you grabbed this quote, sorry.

    I think viewing like that (CTRL/++++) is upsizing the downsized image of 700px. You might want to compare sharpness between the lytebox clicked image at CTRL/0 and the default size at CTRL/++++, even if they appear physically the same, I suspect one will be better than the other, but I really don't know, my screen is too small (sob).
    Hmmm... can't see any difference when I do that. I'll try it later on other shots/threads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •