Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick release plates and fittings

Real Name
    John

Quick release plates and fittings

A retailer told me some months ago that Manfrotto of all people were calling for a standard and it would be the Swiss Acra type. Looks like it's happening as for instance Ebay listings mention it more and more.

Trouble is what is the standard? The wiki mention a width of 38mm but where? I have one where the plate measures 43.5mm across the widest part of the dovetail and around 39.3 across the shortest. The top plate on it is 53.6mm wide in that direction.

The weird thing looking around at them is that it may be more sensible to use them with the clamping knob sticking out of the back and some have spirit levels that would be hidden under the camera. On others it might finish up under the lens. A few have them on the sides so are always "visible". The one I have is clearly intended to be used with the clamping knob under the camera. A weight saving measure as it's only 35mms across the plate in the other direction. The minimum opening for the clamp with the plate out is 38mm at it's narrowest point. I'd guess that really is the Acra standard.

A really serious topic of conversation. What is the correct standard size and just which way round should they be used.

If various companies make a "standard" to various sizes they carry on supplying all of the quick release plates to go with their holders. Actually the way the clamp is secured in the holder there isn't all that much scope for size variation in the plates without what could be a serious loss of strength and rigidity.

John
    -

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

re: Quick release plates and fittings

John - the Arca-Swiss "standard" is the width and cross-sectional profile. Plate length can (and does) vary. I own Arca-Swiss plates and / or clamps made by Benro, RRS, Sunway, Cotton Carrier and Kirk and have had no issues at all with interchangability. Some of the other design aspects; positioning of knobs, levers and bubble levels is specific to a particular component and may or may not cause some minor inconvenience when used with components from another manufacturer.

Manfrotto (and the Manfrotto owned Gitzo) have probably been the main holdouts with custom plates whereas most other companies have gone the Arca-Swiss route. It's nice that they are finally looking at using what other manufacturers use as the defacto standard. Now if video tripods could do the same thing, that would be nice too.

Real Name
    John

Manfred. The cross section should be standard but it appears it isn't always. That's largely based on sizes given when they are available in Ebay listings.

I've solved my slight problem by buying another of the ball heads I have with plate plus 2 extra plates. The extra head will prove useful as it means I can just leave the other one on the tripod I just keep in the car.

The comment I passed on from a retailer are probably accurate - other similar comments from this one have always turned out to be.

I posted mainly to warn people to look carefully when buying. I suspect that the main variants are purely ex China rather than those which are manufactured there for some of the normal tripod and head manufacturers.

John
    -

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

My RRS ballhead documentation hinted at the same thing. Just because the product claims to be Arca-Swiss compatible doesn't mean that this is necessarily the case.

Not surprisingly, one does take a risk when ordering no name products from eBay. I've heard similar stories regarding memory cards and filters. I guess the moral of the story is that sticking to name brand suppliers at least mitigates that risk. I've bought a few photo products from eBay sources, and so far can't complain.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Manfred I some of the same documentation with some brackets I purchased from RRS. It stated that their screw tight clamps will hold any other maker's Arca-Swiss type plates, however if you purchase a RRS quick release clamp, (which I did), then you must use RRS plates and L-brackets or the clamp will not secure the plate or bracket in place. Note this is only if using the spring loaded quick release clamp, if a screw type clamp is used there is not problem.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Alan - I also have the spring / lever quick release type bracket and it seems to work fine with all of the plates that I own, none of which are from RRS. The instructions that came with my ball head suggested that other brands might not work properly with their quick release clamp.

RRS are really just covering themselves. If you have a problem and its not a RRS plate, they can wash their hands of it. As with John's example, some of the no-name Chinese gear may or may not be up to spec.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I believe you, as the only other Arca-Swiss style plate I have is from Feisol, as I have their CB-50DC ball head, I swapped out the Feisol screw knob clamp and replaced it with the RRS B2 AS II Clamp as I was purchasing their L-bracket for my D7000 at the time. I found when I tried to use the Feisol plate with my old D90 I could not lock it in with the RRS quick release clamp.
    So Feisol is the only other make that I have used.
    As a side I mounted the Feisol screw clamp on to a Manfrotto quick release plate that I use on a Manfrotto monopod and old Manfrotto tripod, which allows me to use my L-bracketed D600 and my Feisol plated D90 on either the monopod or tripod or lend them to a friend to use.

Last edited by Polar01; 4th December 2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: grammer

Real Name
    Andrew

A standard would be nice but until someone actually takes the step to precisely adhere to the Acra design it will remain a plan. If Manfrotto is serious they should take the lead and just do it.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/media/w...allFixpage.jpg

Real Name
    Richard

I have RRS, Kirk and various third party "Arca Compatible" clamps and plates// The only problem that I have experienced using the various clamps and plates interchangeably is that the locking stud on my Giottos clamp (on my Giottos 1300 ball head) is not compatible with other manufacturers plates. I need to unscrew the clamp to its maximum width and then lift the plate out of the clamp. Not terribly difficult but, is still a bit of a PITA. OTOH, it is still nice to have the locking stud. I have a clamp (I think it is one of my Kirk clamps) that has no locking stud. If that clamp were to become errantly loosened, the plate (with camera and lens attached) could slide out of the clamp. However, knowng that this possibility exists, I ensure that the clamp is kept tightly fastened...

Real Name
    Dan

I have "arca swiss" clamps from Induro, Hejnar, and Kirk, and plates from Induro, RRS, Kirk, and Jobu. I haven't had any compatibility problems at all. However, I have read of some.

Real Name
    Terry

I’m glad this came up.

I was looking at Cotton Carrier’s double vest carrier.

They informed me that RSS does not recommend using anyone else’s plates (CC adapter plate on RSS quick-release clamp). RSS informed me that they cannot be sure of milling specs for other manufacturers and would not say if CC would be compatible. CC then re-informed me that they have not had a huge rush of returns due to incompatibility and knew a lot of their plates were being used on RSS quick-releases but could not definitely say it was compatible.

Everyone is covering their hind end to the point that CC, at least temporarily, lost a sale. CC even advised me not to purchase their product so they wouldn’t get blamed if my camera wearing their plate fell off the RSS clamp. This one really stunned me! Then reneged and re-advised me that in the case of incompatibility I could always return the product. At my shipping expense, of course!

I understand the butt-covering but I was looking to find answers, not place blame! If the CC plates are incompatible I'll know as soon as I try to attach it to the RSS quick-release! It either is or it isn't and if it is I doubt my camera will come crashing down at some later point!

So I bagged the whole idea and took an aspirin for my newly acquired headache!

I would still be interested in CC’s vest system so its good to hear that at least you guys are not having problems with these two vendors playing nice!

I vote for standardization! Had I no doubts the purchase would have already been made!

Real Name
    Dan

I forgot that one. I have a Cotton Carrier plate too. Works fine in my clamps, but I don't have an RSS clamp.

Now that I look, I can see minor differences, e.g., in the depth of the clamps, but with my combination of clamps and plates, these seem to have no functional consequences

Real Name
    Dan

Qiuck release plates and fittings.

Double post

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I would still be interested in CC’s vest system so its good to hear that at least you guys are not having problems with these two vendors playing nice!
    Terry - I have both the RSS BH-55 Ballhead with quick release clamp and the Cotton Carrier Tripod bracket.. I can confirm that they work with each other. The only caveat is that I have the older model Cotton Carrier mount which is a one-piece design; where the hub and mount were made of a single piece of metal.

Real Name
    Terry

Thanks Manfred. Good to know.

When I was looking at these they still offered those "while they last". I guess they quit producing them but I was going to go for them. My head is the 40 but its the clamp that matters anyway.

Good to know because I think I'll take another look after reading the thread.

Real Name
    John

I was rather surprised when I looked around at them. Some have protruding screws to stop the gear sliding out if the clamp is slightly loose. Some have the holes for them with nothing in them. There seems to be a miniature type 20mm wide. Some mention compatibility with specific heads and give no sizes. It looks like the people who sell them have made excessive use of the word standard and really mean style. My concerns largely related to the tongue and groove that retains the clamping part.. It seems to me that these should be well engaged and not opened far when the plate is clamped in place.

In the end I bought another Hahnel ball head These have a button on the side that lowers a retaining peg rather than screws. I'm happy with my heavy heads and have enough plates to go with them. I bought Hahnel's compact travel tripod that comes with one of their ball heads on it so the other head should be ok. Interesting company but they seem to have problems when their carbon fibre tripod is used daily. The tongue and groove on the clamp plate is rather well engaged which is how I feel it should be.

John
    -

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    . It looks like the people who sell them have made excessive use of the word standard and really mean style.
    Unless there is a published spec with drawings and someone is monitoring compliance to the spec, you get the situation we have out there. I don't see Arca-Swiss having licensed the design and don't see any national or international standards body having issued a spec.

Unless Arca-Swiss actually makes the product, I would treat it as a knock-off, with varying degrees of (in)compatibility. I certainly see that there could be compatibility issues with soft, rather than hard metric conversions. So long as the profiles are more or less the same (which they tend to be), you shouldn't have a compatibility issue, cheap Chinese knockoffs, excepted.

Real Name
    Richard

There are some Chinese Knock Offs of the Cotton Carrier listed on eBay. I would be very hesitant to trust my expensive camera and flash to an unknown manufacturer...

The same goes for the Chinese Black Rapid knock offs...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Rapid-...item2c897c22ed

Regarding the Black Rapid idea... I personally don't think that the tripod screw is designed to support the weight of a swinging camera. IMO, this could be especially true with the cameras that have a plastic tripod mount...

The reason that I like the Optech Dual Harness is that the camera is supported at two different points. If one of the points should fail (or be cut), the second point will still support the camera...
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CPADEKYrMAA

I was searching the net to find a solution to my problem when I came across this forum and hopefully someone will be able to help me.
    I have a Hähnel Triad 40 Lite and recently bought a L plate for my Nikon D90 but the problem is the I cannot find a Quick Release to suit Hähnel BH-40 Ball Head as the L plate is 38mm and the Hähnel is 43/45mm fully closed, does anyone know of a replacement quick release I could replace on the ballhead of the Hähnel?

Real Name
    Allan Short

It could be a problem, first the L-plate from what manufacture did you get if from. Second does the clamp that presently on the head does it screw on to the head, or is a screw used to fasten it to the head. If you could take a close up shot of the top of the clamp it may help in helping to provide you answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast