Thread: Rabbits!

Real Name
    Nick

Rabbits!

Did these with a friend, (So I don't take all credit for them ). We used two flashes on stands, one with an umbrella, and D7100, ISO 100, SS between 1/80 and 1/160 I think. Please let me know if you have any critique for post processing, And enjoy the strange critters!

Rabbits!

Rabbits!

Rabbits!

Rabbits!

1: Polish
    2:Jersey Woolies
    3:Polish?
    4: guinea pigs-2 days old I was told!

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Rabbits!

Good job on the little fellas Nick, sharp whiskers, eyes and adequate DoF and no harsh shadows.

Not sure if you are going to be doing more of these or for what purpose they are for but the blue blanket could be improved on. How, I'm not sure but feel something more 'natural' should be used.

Another thought is that you seem to have been shooting downwards on these, may be worth getting down a bit more to their level.

I think your PP has bought out the fur well but for practice I'm going to play with one.

Edit : There's scope for some LCE (local contrast enhancement) and more sharpening and a slight curve to boost contrast if wanted .
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 26th November 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Real Name
    John

Nice efforts, perhaps the first two would benefit from a different backdrop.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I agree with John and Grahame
    Very nice shots, well framed and quite cute. But a change in the background might be a good move. Being an Ozzie could I suggest the sort of background which we like to associate with rabbits? Then I am going under deep cover before Donald gets to read this!

Rabbits!

Real Name
    John

Looking at them you seem to have lost some white at the bright end and probably some black at the dark end. Black and detail is often tricky.

Hard to say if this is exposure or PP from raw. I'm mostly looking at shot 1 and 3. I am being rather critical though.

If you fancy giving others a go from raw this site is easy to use. It would be hard to correct fully from a jpg.

http://filebin.net/

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    I agree with John and Grahame
    Very nice shots, well framed and quite cute. But a change in the background might be a good move. Being an Ozzie could I suggest the sort of background which we like to associate with rabbits? Then I am going under deep cover before Donald gets to read this!

Rabbits!
    The fear in their eyes.

Real Name
    Nick

Hello Grahame,
    Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I have added some more contrast to many of them. Contrast is hard because it helps make things stand out, but also causes highlight and shadow problems at the same time. I'd be interested to see how your attempt at it went. I agree I could have used a lower pov. It probably would have given them more style at least.

Thanks for the comments John,

John (UK John),
    Thanks for your comments also. I could have raised the blacks on the black, as it would have helped bring out shape and detail, but it made the rabbit not look the rich black it was. Yes, blacks can be tricky, I'd like to be able to find the right way to edit an image like this.

But a change in the background might be a good move.
    Don't you folks know that from a designer's perspective light blue goes well with any natural color? Likewise the sky is light blue! Personally, I don't think any one of the rabbits' colors were not complimented by it... but at the same I do think a more subtle color or shade could have worked well also, or maybe would have been preferable, especially if you aren't generally fond of the cute and colorful look.

Thanks again. Truly appreciate your critique and comments!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    Hello Grahame,
    Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I have added some more contrast to many of them. Contrast is hard because it helps make things stand out, but also causes highlight and shadow problems at the same time. I'd be interested to see how your attempt at it went. I agree I could have used a lower pov. It probably would have given them more style at least.

Thanks for the comments John,

John (UK John),
    Thanks for your comments also. I could have raised the blacks on the black, as it would have helped bring out shape and detail, but it made the rabbit not look the rich black it was. Yes, blacks can be tricky, I'd like to be able to find the right way to edit an image like this.

Don't you folks know that from a designer's perspective light blue goes well with any natural color? Likewise the sky is light blue! Personally, I don't think any one of the rabbits' colors were not complimented by it... but at the same I do think a more subtle color or shade could have worked well also, or maybe would have been preferable, especially if you aren't generally fond of the cute and colorful look.

Thanks again. Truly appreciate your critique and comments!
    I've only seen blue preferred for baby boys.

Real Name
    vaez

all very cut and lovely

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    Hello Grahame,
    Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I have added some more contrast to many of them. Contrast is hard because it helps make things stand out, but also causes highlight and shadow problems at the same time. I'd be interested to see how your attempt at it went.
    Nick, here's one I adjusted, Local Contrast and Sharpening globally. Not to say it's better but just an alternative.

Rabbits!

Real Name
    Nick

Thank you Vaez, I appreciate your comments.

Thank you for taking the time to show me how you'd edit it Grahame, I can see how your rendition looks a bit stronger.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like Ken's version....it was really good... Thanks for the laugh, Ken...

Nick -- they are good shots. I particularly like -- all of them --- !!! the expression of the angry #2. #3 is too neat...and #4 are not rabbits so I like them better in the pot version.

Real Name
    Nick

Glad you liked them Izzie. It may be hard to get the one rabbit in #2 not to look grumpy, and it's companion looked sleepy in most of the shots