Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you do with your gear when not in use

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

what do you do with your gear when not in use

Just wondered

do you wrap it in cotton wool, keep it in a cupboard/camera bag or just leave it laying around

I use lage plastic containers fitted with draught excluder and with moisture absorbing crystals inside
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR1; 26th November 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: what do you do with your gear when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Just wondered

do you wrap it in cotton wool, keep it in a cupboard/camera bag or just leave it laying around
    Just thinking about that very situation, my system is a bit of all of the above. I recently purchased a backpack style bag that hold multiple lenses and other accessories and I tend to fill that with most of my gear, other items are sitting in a box. I would like to find a shelf that has a lip to prevent items from sliding off or perhaps one of those clear filing boxes with a drawer.

A couple of backpacks plus a camera equipment bag of various ages; also some individual lens carrying cases. All in a cupboard. Dry and warm in winter.

I tend to think that if you are over protective with your equipment you aren't going to get maximum usage from it.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Just thinking about that very situation, my system is a bit of all of the above. I recently purchased a backpack style bag that hold multiple lenses and other accessories and I tend to fill that with most of my gear, other items are sitting in a box. I would like to find a shelf that has a lip to prevent items from sliding off or perhaps one of those clear filing boxes with a drawer.
    Remember to keep a supply of new silica gel in the bag but don't store it long as it will get damp over time with no air circulation

Real Name
    Grahame

For each individual this would depend upon the environmental conditions they keep their gear in when not in use and the frequency of use of that gear.

Also the importance to them of maintaining their gear in the best possible condition.

So are you looking for advice on how to store your gear for your specific circumstances or just curious as to how someone else deals with their specific circumstances?

Real Name
    Dave

Oh dear, it's all a bit chaotic. I have one or two bits of kit I don't need, if I could figure out how to use ebay.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

When not being used my gear typically gets tears dripped upon it.

Real Name
    Adrian

Rolling camera bag. In a cupboard. Batteries charged and ready to go!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Remember to keep a supply of new silica gel in the bag but don't store it long as it will get damp over time with no air circulation
    Adequate storage conditions vary by location/conditions. Low humidity is desireable as is keeping temperature of the storage location slightly above ambient (as defined by room conditions, not necessarily outdoor ambient temperature). That will keep the storage location at low relative humidity. In my location I enjoy the benefit of fairly constant 35 percent relative humidity inside the house. Slightly lower when it's truly cold outside. No need for silica gel or other condentation control gizmos. If I go out and shoot in the cold I generally leave the camera in the garage (50F/10C) for a while to warm up before bringing it into the warmer/more humid house. That minimizes the slight chance of condensation forming internally in the camera body.

As for organizing things, I tend to be organizationally lazy. I count on finding things by making sure I put them in the same place all the time. But no cataloging and very minimal box labeling, etc. When most all my gear would fit into one bag, that's where it stayed all the time. But with an expanding inventory, the need to charge batteries, download cards, etc. and a desire to carry as little gear as necessary, I found myself forever assuming something was in my pack and then not having it when I got on a shoot. Usually small stuff like lens cleaning papers but sometimes more critical like filter adapters, arca plates, etc.

So I now keep all of my gear on a couple of closet shelves and keep the bag completely empty. And I mean completely. Then I pack it from scratch every time I head to the field. I'm pretty good at thinking ahead and writing lists etc. so that works for me. No assumptions. Think it through every time. Also I lug less extraneous stuff around that way.

After writing this and thinking about it, selling the lot and getting a P/S that will fit in trouser pockets sounds pretty good...

I store it in my camera gear bag -that's what it's for - I think. That's also how I carry it. Quite handy and useful.

Real Name
    Ken

Mainly stored in my gun cabinet, so that it is safe from thieves and earthquakes.

Real Name
    E. James

If I don't use it, I sell it on eBay. I have a new Manfrotto 680B that is going up for auction soon. Really never connected to a mono-pod. It was friendly enough for sure but we just couldn't seem to hit it off. Sad really...not cheap.

Real Name
    Dan

For the most part, I just store it in a cupboard. It's more than dry enough indoors in the winter where I am, and we air condition the house during extremely hot and humid spells. I have never had any problems with this.

In a very humid environment, I would do something different. I often spend part of each summer in an extremely humid area in the Adirondacks. There, if I intend to leave the gear unused for any length of time, I put the lenses and bodies in a Pelican case with two canisters of silica gel that have a colorant so that I can see when they need to be dehydrated, which usually is once every week or two. I suspect any plastic container that seals well would be just as good, but the Pelican case is also a good way to transport it. The rest of the stuff (hoods, etc.) I don't worry about.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    For each individual this would depend upon the environmental conditions they keep their gear in when not in use and the frequency of use of that gear.

Also the importance to them of maintaining their gear in the best possible condition.

So are you looking for advice on how to store your gear for your specific circumstances or just curious as to how someone else deals with their specific circumstances?
    No I am asking what people do, I know what I do, I now know what shadowman does, if we all say what we do others may learn

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Rolling camera bag. In a cupboard. Batteries charged and ready to go!
    Silica gel to avoid the damp !

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I have added photos to my first post of what I use,

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I store it in my camera gear bag -that's what it's for - I think. That's also how I carry it. Quite handy and useful.
    No it is not the best storage, this is why I asked.

first if it is kept in even what appears to be a dry place moisture through lack of air circulation can build up this will lead to fungus, second over time bags get filthy with unseen grit, people rarely vacuum their bags, this should be done during the year especially when you have been in a dusty place or on the beach

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Here is my advanced storage system. I put the tripod down, then I slip the belt pack off and place it on the floor in the garage. Then I remove the battery from the camera for charging in my bathroom. I reverse this when going out to take pictures.

what do you do with your gear when not in use

Real Name
    Robin

Currently?

My Nikon and a couple of its lenses are shoved in one of the sideboard cupboards in the dining room because I needed the bag it had been in for something else, there's a couple of lenses in a LowePro Trekker beside my bed, my Macro lens is sitting on the table by the iMac and another couple of lenses are in a LowePro Classified....not sure where my old MF 28mm is but likely in another bag somewhere with a few film bodies and some other random film cameras. My Pentax gear is in a Billingham in the corner of the living room where it gets dumped every night as it goes to work with me. The tripod lives in the boot of the car while my other random kit is wherever I last used it.

In other words I don't fret over any of my gear and don't go out of my way to pamper it as its just a tool to do a job. None of it is damaged (it has wear marks and paint chipped/worn off through use) even though Iv'e had some of it quite some time - it is insured so if something does happen its not me that has to pay for it.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Currently use a Lowepro for my camera, lenses and a small flash and other accessories. For the rest like strobes, stands, backdrop etc., I keep it in the hall so its easier to use, however I wish I had a personal studio so all my equipment is fixed permanently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast