Thread: Controlling Canon 7D with iPhone

Real Name
    Richard

Controlling Canon 7D with iPhone

My wife has just purchased an iPhone 6 Plus which is great for her because she uses her phone to pull up adoption applications during our dog rescue events and the larger display of the 6 Plus is easier for her to read. The fall-out from that purchase is that I am now the proud owner of her previous iPhone 5.

What is the best app for controlling my Canon 7D with an iPhone 5? Since the 7D doesn't have an articulating LCD, it would be nice if I could see what I am shooting on the iPhone display - especially when doing macro work. I would also enjoy having the capability of long shutter speeds and focus stacking. Oh yes, there might just be some other neat bell or whistle that I don't even know about.

Yes, I have done a Google search and have found several apps which will control the camera but, I'd like your opinions on which is the best app for my needs which are: 1. macro work, 2. long night exposures, and 3. focus stacking.

I really don't need to trip the camera from a distance and would prefer an app that doesn't require purchasing any additional hardware (or at least no expensive hardware).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I don't have any problems with having the camera and iPhone connected with a cord and I don't need video capability...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 22nd November 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Controlling Canon 7D with iPhone

Hi Richard, I am currently doing control, live view, focus stacking, shooting, and uploading (both cabled and wireless) with my D7100 using Helicon Remote on my Android phone. Canon is also supported by Helicon Remote. The free version of Helicon Remote only does JPG images but there is a $40/month option to do RAW images.

I understand that this link may provide camera tethering and control options for the iPhone.

Real Name
    Richard

What a great bunch of Apps! Thanks, Frank...

I am leaning towards DSLR BOT but, need to do more research...

However, I have noticed something regarding the iPhone. I don't need corrective lenses for distance but, I am blind as a bat up close. Thus, I am often not wearing glasses.

I could operate my Motorolla Flip-Phone easily without my reading glasses because everything was controlled by buttons which were easy for me to use, almost by feel! With the iPhone, I tend to need my reading glasses to operate the camera. That's a "Catch-22" for me. The phone does far more than the Motorolla but, I need to be wearing reading glasses in order to get the most out of the phone.

I hate to think of wearing "Granny Glasses" on a string around my neck...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 22nd November 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I usually have mine in a protective tube in a pocket, and take them out when I need them, but I use very slim half frame glasses, where I can easily switch between looking at the screen through the lenses and switch to far viewing above them.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Richard , Frank, I use a Nexus 7 (android) linked to my 7D. I too use the Helicon remote app. I paid about £30 from memory to take advantage of the 'raw' option. It was a one off charge.
    I did have to buy a USB OTG adapter, (about £2 on e-Bay), to link a standard USB cable to the camera. That said.... performs excellently (I use it for ground level focus stacking and for controlling long exposure/ night/moon shots)

I did try a couple of other apps (free) but to be honest I much preferred Helicon after relatively brief trials. The raw option was not a deciding factor at the time, but after a few months using the unregistered app, I bought the upgrade. Apart from the JPG restriction I did not encounter any other restriction with the app.

Hope this helps, James

ps I do not use the main Helicon software for focus stacking. It is too expensive to justify and I have found Combine ZP (Free) meets all of my needs.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Richard , Frank, I use a Nexus 7 (android) linked to my 7D. I too use the Helicon remote app. I paid about £30 from memory to take advantage of the 'raw' option. It was a one off charge.
    Ah, not monthly, then I might get the RAW option after I play with the JPG for a bit. From what I have read, either Helicon Focus or Zerene Stacker give the best focus stacking results. I usually just use Photoshop and clean up the artifacts manually but I am also usually using a short stack of 8 or fewer images. I may want to get Helicon or Zerene once I start processing larger stacks.

I would love to play with an iPad version of a camera controller owing to the larger, easier to see screen.

Thanks, James!

Real Name
    James Edwards

Frank, don't want to divert this thread, but if you haven't tried Combine ZP, it really is worth a spin. I used to use the same process, Photoshop and clean up. I now capture the stack and put the raw files through ACR, applying lens correction, correcting white balance, and reduce noise if necessary. I then save as 16 bit Tiff. At that point I stack them in Combine ZP (rather than Photoshop), saving the processed stack, also as 16 bit Tiff. I then post process back in Photoshop.
    I have processed stacks of up to 50 images with good results.

If you are planning focus stacks of microscopic captures, then Helicon, and Zerene are without doubt "best of breed", but if you are, say, capturing Fungi, flowers, or just small objects, as I do, I think the free program more than pays for itself

Real Name
    Yes

I am using Dslr controller on android.

I am also using it with the TP link TR-ML3040 wireless router which free firmwear is provided for, so one can control most Canon cameras (including 7D) wirelessly. I use an android phone or tablet, I understand ipad software is also available.

In the latest version it gives even more control, one even gets pictures taken with histogram, one can download from camera onto phone etc. One nice touch is it even gives the shutter count of the camera.

I was going to do a review, it is just brilliant. The little battery powered router gives just about all the features as if wi fi had been installed on the camera, all for £35. The DSLR Controller is also very cheap - bought mine for £6.50 from Play Store. SO for about £41 I get full Wi-Fi, control and also download of images on memory card or as taken, realtime remote view etc. It even enables the spirit level to be displayed. A nice touch is that though it uses liveview it doesn't turn the camera screen on, saving battery power. Auto focus or manual focus (including screen magnification) exposure compensation , Bracketing etc etc.

It is so good why go elsewhere, you can buy a 7inch tablet for £50 and have a massive screen to work with.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Loosecannon... I did look at DSLR controller about a year back, but I did not give it a try, I think because I was already using Helicon Remote via a cable link. Maybe I should revisit

I would be interested in your review if you get round to it.
    Although I'm comfortable using a cable connection, it would be less hassle with the wireless connection. Reading the write-up I was not totally sure how it managed focus stacking?

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Second the DSLR controller. Have been trying it out on a 600D and with a Nexus 7 just the extra size of screen real estate makes it worth the money IMO. I have been useing it wireless with the TP-Link option and on ocassion it has stopped working but switching camera off/on sorted it, am now trying with a cable but only in the house at the moment will go outside when I get a chance as my intention is to use it for focus stacking in landscapes. The other options it offers like increase of number of images for HDR looks good. I did also try DSLR Dashboard that is free but could not get it to work. Also purchased a plastic holder from Ebay so I can attach the Nexus to a tripod leg. Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I am using Dslr controller on android.

I am also using it with the TP link TR-ML3040 wireless router which free firmwear is provided for, so one can control most Canon cameras (including 7D) wirelessly. I use an android phone or tablet, I understand ipad software is also available.

In the latest version it gives even more control, one even gets pictures taken with histogram, one can download from camera onto phone etc. One nice touch is it even gives the shutter count of the camera.

I was going to do a review, it is just brilliant. The little battery powered router gives just about all the features as if wi fi had been installed on the camera, all for £35. The DSLR Controller is also very cheap - bought mine for £6.50 from Play Store. SO for about £41 I get full Wi-Fi, control and also download of images on memory card or as taken, realtime remote view etc. It even enables the spirit level to be displayed. A nice touch is that though it uses liveview it doesn't turn the camera screen on, saving battery power. Auto focus or manual focus (including screen magnification) exposure compensation , Bracketing etc etc.

It is so good why go elsewhere, you can buy a 7inch tablet for £50 and have a massive screen to work with.

Real Name
    Dan

Looks like neither Helicon Remote nor DSLR controller is available for iOS. This from Helicon Remote:

Helicon Remote is available for Windows, Mac and Android 3.1+.
    For me, the attraction of Helicon Remote is the focus bracketing: it figures out the needed intervals and adjusts focus accordingly. If anyone knows of an iOS app that does that, I would love to know.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Richard, as the Helicon Remote works on the Android OS and the screen on the iPhone is a bit small, perhaps a reasonably priced used Android tablet would be a better fit for you?

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, If you shoot Canon then Magic Lantern will do what you want you can set a start point and an end point to stack focus. Not an expert but have been looking into it for landscapes rather than macro. The DSLR Remote also does this. Choose a focus point and then take however many images from behind to how ever many you want in front. Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Looks like neither Helicon Remote nor DSLR controller is available for iOS. This from Helicon Remote:

For me, the attraction of Helicon Remote is the focus bracketing: it figures out the needed intervals and adjusts focus accordingly. If anyone knows of an iOS app that does that, I would love to know.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, If you shoot Canon then Magic Lantern will do what you want you can set a start point and an end point to stack focus. Not an expert but have been looking into it for landscapes rather than macro. The DSLR Remote also does this. Choose a focus point and then take however many images from behind to how ever many you want in front. Russ

Real Name
    Dan

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the suggestions, but as far as I can tell from reading what is on the web, the three are not interchangeable (and none is controlled via iOS). DSLR remote simply takes multiple shots starting at the front using a pre-fixed script, which by default takes 30 but can be changed. The documentation that I found doesn't specify how large the increments are. Magic Lantern goes a step further by letting you chose the size of the change in focus, but AFAIK, these intervals are simply labeled "1, 2, 3". Helicon Remote does much more than this. You set the front and rearmost focal points. It then calculates DOF given the settings for the first shot, calculates the needed increment in focusing distance, and from that figures out how many shots it needs to reach the rearmost position.

This would be a help in doing tripod-based macro work. I have done enough that I almost never use increments too large, but I am guessing that I often use increments smaller than I need, and since I can't easily mark the rearmost focusing point, I usually take too many. Then I have to upload them and go through them one at a time to figure out which ones are beyond the range I need.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, After reading this I thought I would give Helicon a look see and have to admit it does have some nice stuff in there but and going a little of track the problem I have with any of them is not being ableto see my Nexus screen outside in daylight. Anyone have a suggestion apart from the screen things you can stick on as I have read they really are not so good in that respect. Thanks Russ
    Hi Russ,

Thanks for the suggestions, but as far as I can tell from reading what is on the web, the three are not interchangeable (and none is controlled via iOS). DSLR remote simply takes multiple shots starting at the front using a pre-fixed script, which by default takes 30 but can be changed. The documentation that I found doesn't specify how large the increments are. Magic Lantern goes a step further by letting you chose the size of the change in focus, but AFAIK, these intervals are simply labeled "1, 2, 3". Helicon Remote does much more than this. You set the front and rearmost focal points. It then calculates DOF given the settings for the first shot, calculates the needed increment in focusing distance, and from that figures out how many shots it needs to reach the rearmost position.

This would be a help in doing tripod-based macro work. I have done enough that I almost never use increments too large, but I am guessing that I often use increments smaller than I need, and since I can't easily mark the rearmost focusing point, I usually take too many. Then I have to upload them and go through them one at a time to figure out which ones are beyond the range I need.