Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Program for frames

Real Name
    Adrian

Program for frames

I am looking for a free program (or online) I can download on my Mac. That I can add nice frames to my photographs. I don't want to have to create one from scratch unless I have the ability to upload a frame. Anyone know of any?

It takes to long to add an image to photoshop then resize it to have it fit my frame.
    Last edited by Beauty Through a Lens; 22nd November 2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: computer hardware, photo editing,

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Program for frames

Since you have Photoshop, you can google picture frames if you do not want to do one in Photoshop which is a good program to create frames with in the first place. Then save the frame shot that you like into Photoshop and put your photo behind it. But you cannot get an exact size for your photo instantly unless you manipulate it in Photoshop first.

If you click on the Custom Shape Tool (the one where the rectangle tool is located in the tool box) you will find that there are some frames also in that selection. Do look for it next time.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I use Perfect Effects 8. Perfect Photo Suite 9 just came out and I started a free trial, 30 days. It has Perfect Effects 9 as a component which has a wonderful border selection with very precise tools to make each one specific to your needs. YMMV.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Larry. The border options of Perfect Effects are very nice and I use them frequently. Here is just one example:

Program for frames

I have only one slight problem with these borders. They are not created outside the image area but, instead, they are created inside the image area which, if you have cropped quite closely can cause you to miss some of the image. OTOH: this can usually be remedied by using the "Fit Image" command slider...

It is also quite easy to create borders using the Photoshop canvas size command.

Program for frames

Photoshop Elements had or has some nifty frame options. I don't know if these are created from within the image area (like the perfect effects borders) or if the are created outside the image area like in Photoshop Canvas Size. I don't use PSE anymore but remember that the frames were easy to add to any image...

Here is a site called 70 Cool Frames and Borders Photoshop Tutorials. I think that the title tells it all...
    http://www.photoshopwebsite.com/phot...hop-tutorials/

Here are Photoshop Frames Actions Google search results...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 23rd November 2014 at 12:31 AM.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Yes, the fit image slider works very nicely if I want to keep the original inside the frame. One has to be careful not to let a double image show along the edge of the border--one has gone too far with that slider. A trick I use on occasion to avoid this is to do an external crop of my image before using the plug-in. I can create extra space on any or all sides of an image with a crop and then add the frame. On the other hand, I do like to use a border to serve as a sort of after the fact crop--taking off a little edge annoyance with the border. Perfect Effects 8 also incorporates an opacity slider as well as brightness so one can make the underlying pixels more or less visible beneath the frame. It is a pretty versatile feature. The 30 day free trial of the brand new program is working out very well for me right now. There are some nice changes to the Perfect Effects program plus one can play with the entire suite which is pretty awesome, too.