Thread: Mirrorless and the Sun

Real Name
    Yes

Mirrorless and the Sun

I have noted in the manuals warnings with DSLR's about the sun and using mirror lockup, this is because the suns image can damage the shutter blinds.

Does the same problem exist with mirrorless where one presumes the sun will be focused on the sensor for perhaps some time whilst an image is composed. Does the IR filter protect the sensor, in which case how is the heat dispersed? Can the sensor take the bright spot of the sun on it for some time without damage? Does the sun heat up the sensor leading to more noise?

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

Re: Mirrorless and the Sun

This is a good question which interests me also; only I thought what may be damaged is the sensor, not the shutter blinds.

Lukas

Real Name
    John

Re: Mirrorless and the Sun

It's a good warning and it's meant to keep you from leaving the camera facing the sunny side of the house, which could indeed damage the sensor after prolonged exposure. If you plan to shoot a quick series of shots, I use LiveView to save my eyes also, you should be fine. I would abide by the manufacturers recommendation within the camera's one year warranty.