Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Day

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Slow Day

So perhaps it is time to reflect on where we might go to take interesting images?

Slow Day

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Slow Day

Non sequitur: even noting the use of the word "might" in the OP, still non sequitur.

That map represents where the MOST (mathematical, quantitative and objective) photographs are taken.

It doesn't represents places where the most interesting (artistic, qualitative and subjective) photographs are to be made.

WW

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Where I take most of my photographs does not even exist!

Real Name
    John

A lot of waterways to choose from.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Bill,

Had tae chuckle...

That map represents where the MOST (mathematical, quantitative and objective) photographs are taken.

It doesn't represents places where the most interesting (artistic, qualitative and subjective) photographs are to be made.
    Just because they are the most photographed places in the world, it does not follow that they don't represent places where the most interesting photographs are tae be made...

non sequitur iterum?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

And I agree: it is a slow day here too.

And I also agree that there are many images to be made from the part of the world which spike interest among many people

Slow Day

WW
    Images © AJ GROUP Pty Ltd (Australia) 1999

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Arhhh Boab,

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    Just because they are the most photographed places in the world, it does not follow that they don't represent places where the most interesting photographs are tae be made...

non sequitur iterum?
    Would yah not then be agreeing with me that this might be all sorted out over firkin of ale or a few wee drams of yer best single malt?

Bill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Non sequitur: even noting the use of the word "might" in the OP, still non sequitur.

WW
    LOL! Ah, but there we go. If we can loosely assume that the map is correct, does it follow that we would want to go where others have gone? Or perhaps, avoid those places and look for interesting subjects where others have NOT frequented?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Many folks don't follow the crowd. Some of the best images come from a sanctified imagination and looking at the world around us a bit differently!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    A lot of waterways to choose from.
    For sure! Between wind, wave, and cloud there are a huge number of interesting images to be gathered.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bill,

Had tae chuckle...

non sequitur iterum?
    True. Just as an expensive kit doesn't guarantee a great image, neither does a location that a lot of others have used guarantee a great image. Thank goodness there are a lot of other factors involved, not the least of which is the photographer's skill and imagination.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Arhhh Boab,

Would yah not then be agreeing with me that this might be all sorted out over firkin of ale or a few wee drams of yer best single malt?

Bill
    Aye Bill.

but not a whisky drinker...mine's a dark rum - O.V.D - if yer buying...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Aye Bill.

but not a whisky drinker...mine's a dark rum - O.V.D - if yer buying...
    My wife puts that in the Christmas Cake:

I'll be posting yah a piece.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    LOL! Ah, but there we go. If we can loosely assume that the map is correct, does it follow that we would want to go where others have gone? Or perhaps, avoid those places and look for interesting subjects where others have NOT frequented?
    This is too much Philosophie for me for one day. . .

By absolute co-incidence I just was watching the first hour of ‘Monty Python Live at 02’ – the Philosophie Football Game. . . get the DVD - it is hilarious.

Real Name
    Richard

True. Just as an expensive kit doesn't guarantee a great image, neither does a location that a lot of others have used guarantee a great image. Thank goodness there are a lot of other factors involved, not the least of which is the photographer's skill and imagination.
    Yes but... It's surely nice to be in a photogenic locations such as Yosemite National Park; Venice, Italy; Istanbul, Turkey; or Bejing, China...

It's hard NOT TO get good pictures in areas like that...

Real Name
    John

With so many RECON satellites circling the planet, I suspect that some of the most photographed places don't even feature on the map.

Real Name
    Dan

I wouldn't assume that this reflects primarily where people find interesting things to photograph.

Part of the distribution, I'd bet, is simply population density, holding constant income. That is, for places with similar incomes, hence similar access to digital cameras, there are more pictures where there are more people. Clearly true of the US part of the map. All the pictures taken at family holiday dinners and of kids playing in the back yard,...

Then there are the huge number of pictures taken simply as mememtos. If you visit Cambridge, MA, at the right times of the year, you will find huge numbers of people, some from halfway around the world, taking pictures of everything that is clearly related to Harvard--beautiful, ugly, and in between. It's iconic, not beautiful.

Then there is the influence of where people go for entirely different reasons. Check the map of Iceland. Where are all the pictures? Within a short distance of Rejkjavik, the so-called Golden Triangle. It's not that the rest of the country is less interesting; it's just more work to get there.

so all in all, I don't think this is much help for photographic inspiration, but I do like the idea of a shot of single malt.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Yes but... It's surely nice to be in a photogenic locations such as Yosemite National Park; Venice, Italy; Istanbul, Turkey; or Bejing, China...

It's hard NOT TO get good pictures in areas like that...
    Absolutely. And it certainly doesn't hurt to have good equipment to capture it with.

Real Name
    Kurt Pedersen

For sure! Between wind, wave, and cloud there are a huge number of interesting images to be gathered.
    And given that would it not depend on the type of photography you find most appealing? A landscape photographer and a street photography could spend the entire day in the pub over many wee drams of single malt fixing on a place that suits them both.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I think I might just be on the map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast