Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Request for help with LR4/PSE11 files

Real Name
    colin

Request for help with LR4/PSE11 files

Hello all,
    I have recently installed lightroom4 and copied my images in as dng files, problem is pse11 is cataloging them as cr2 plus dng thus duplicating and taking up space. How can I fix this.
    I know you guys are brilliant, so I eagerly await the solution
    Colin.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Request for help with LR4/PSE11 files

Hi Colin,

Not sure why no-one has replied, but I think a bit more information would help.

To better understand, do you have two physical copies of your RAW files on your computer, both .cr2 and .dng? Is this what you want, or do you just want to keep the .dng?

Most people using Lightroom and PSE together use Lightroom as the tool for managing their images (digital asset management or dam) and invoke PSE as an external editor. Hence there is no need to do any catalogue management in PSE. Is that your intention?

Dave

Real Name
    colin

Thank you Dave for replying.
    I had photoshop in my computer for quite a while as a stand alone pp. with images in cr2.
    I want to use lightroom as my main (first) process but keep pse for perhaps layers occasionally.
    When I download from my memory card Lr is reading them as dng, and pse is also reading them at the same time as cr2and dng
    I hope I am making sense.
    Thanks again
    Colin

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, that makes sense, and your use of the programs is pretty much the same as mine.

I have a slightly clumsy way of importing because I like to do one step at a time (been working with computers for too long), but it would certainly side step your issue.

I first copy the files from the memory card into my folder structure, which actually mirrors my Lightroom catalogue structure. Then I Import them into Lightroom. Don't know how quickly you've got to grips with Lightroom, but Importing doesn't move any files, it just creates entries in the Lightroom catalogue. Then you only have one set of files, managed by Lightroom.

I have skirted around the .dng question. I just wonder why you are converting. There is a bit of an ongoing debate as to whether it's better to stay with the native RAW format or convert, but I think it's all a bit academic. If you don't have a good reason to convert, why not stay with the .cr2 format? Saves another step.

P.S. that means don't have the convert to .dng option checked.

Cheers,

Dave

Real Name
    colin

Thanks for your very clear explanation. I can see the light and take your suggestions on board.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, I don't use PSE but after looking on the web maybe this is what you need to do.
    Select "Elements Organizer" from the "Tools" selection in Adobe's top menu bar.
    Within the Photoshop Elements Organizer select "Edit" from the top menu bar, followed by "Preferences".
    Select "Camera or Card Reader" from the options under "Preferences". Uncheck the check-box next to the phrase that begins with "Use Adobe Photo Downloader to get photos" click "OK"

Then as Dave above says go to Lightroom and make PSE your external edit program when you need to you can just go to Photo- export-external editor-PSE 11.
    Also maybe find something here to help

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-phot...igital-camera/

Russ

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Yes, that makes sense, and your use of the programs is pretty much the same as mine.

I have a slightly clumsy way of importing because I like to do one step at a time (been working with computers for too long), but it would certainly side step your issue.

I first copy the files from the memory card into my folder structure, which actually mirrors my Lightroom catalogue structure. Then I Import them into Lightroom. Don't know how quickly you've got to grips with Lightroom, but Importing doesn't move any files, it just creates entries in the Lightroom catalogue. Then you only have one set of files, managed by Lightroom.

I have skirted around the .dng question. I just wonder why you are converting. There is a bit of an ongoing debate as to whether it's better to stay with the native RAW format or convert, but I think it's all a bit academic. If you don't have a good reason to convert, why not stay with the .cr2 format? Saves another step.

P.S. that means don't have the convert to .dng option checked.

Cheers,

Dave
    This will depend on which of the importing options you have set. "Copy as DNG - Copy - Move - Add"

Real Name
    colin

Hi Russ,
    Thank you for your help.
    Colin

Real Name
    colin

Cheers LPaul,
    Good of you to take the time.
    Colin.