Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon 7100 vs full frame nikon - user level 6-7

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

Nikon 7100 vs full frame nikon - user level 6-7

I am now ready to upgrade from my nikon d60 to better - later model nikon. I am having many conflicted thoughts regarding buying the nikon 7100 (a lot of features) or stepping up to a full framed nikon for more money... While not as many features or ranges. Not sure of the actual difference received with a full frame model...

I am not a professional level photographer at a level 9 or 10... Just a serious part time photographer - say level 5 - 6 - 7, that intends on spending much more time doing that in the future. Any suggestions from anyone having gone down this path before. Help!! Simply don't know enough at this point.
    Last edited by mfields; 13th November 2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: BOLD TITLE

Re: Nikon 7100 vs full frame nikon - user level 6-7

My progression in digital cameras has been CoolPix 995>D80>D7000, just so you know where I'm coming from.
    If it were me in your position, I'd give full consideration to the D750, if for no other reason than its low light capabilities.
    You're going to find a D7100 so far advanced from your D60 it will make your head spin.
    Others with more knowledge on the pros and cons of FF vs DX will chime in I'm sure. My money would be going to a D750. And that is solely based on my gearhead mentality, not on any photographically based reason as I'm still not pushing the limits of my D7000.
    YMMV.

Real Name
    John

What strategy, research method did you use to select the D60? Did you buy it used or new?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Consider making a list of the capabilities that would compel you in your styles of photography to spend more money for the full-frame camera. You could then base your decision on whether the list justifies the additional expense. If you don't yet know enough about the two cameras to make that list, you simply need to learn what would be on that list.

People participating in the thread will be able to guide you more helpfully if you explain the styles of photography that you want to do in the future and whether your current lenses will be fully functional on a full-frame camera, as that plays into the cost of upgrading to a full-frame camera.

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    What strategy, research method did you use to select the D60? Did you buy it used or new?
    My method was fairly straightforward... I used to be heavier into cameras back in the 70's - 80's. Used a Cannon in Viet Nam. Dormant since then. Several years ago, picked up a Nikon D60 offered at Costco with some nice lens configurations. Have enjoyed it, and glass is great. Now, Costco is tempting me again with the D7100. But, anticipating getting more involved in the endeavor soon... am perplexed re: DG vs FF. Sorry to ramble.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Mark you can do no better than to go to a Nikon dealer and handle the cameras. Get the dealer to explain the various features and limitations. See which feel the most comfortable in your hand with buttons within span reach. Then with your budget in mind you can make a sensible choice. You might be surprised by your decision.
    I have a D750 but I also have a D3200, which I love, that cost me about £250 brand new and I have won several competitions with images produced by it. Yes it does skimp on a few features and you have to dive into the settings screen to change some parameters but it's a cracking camera for the money. Most of the new Nikons have 24Mp sensors so be prepared to also splash some cash on reasonable lenses to get the best from the camera.

Real Name
    Dan

I own both FF and DX bodies. I only went FF because Nikon never updated the D300 and shooting wildlife I wanted things only found in FF in the current Nikon line. I do have and shoot a D7100 and love it. With good light it produces better IQ than any other Nikon body. Without any further information than what you've described I'd say go with the 7100 and don't look back. The only caveat is if you shoot wildlife/birds or sports and need a larger buffer for shooting rapid fire. That is one drawback to the 7100. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    See which feel the most comfortable in your hand with buttons within span reach. Then with your budget in mind you can make a sensible choice.
    This is the most sound advice I've seen in this thread yet. IF it feels good in your hand you will use it. When I was shooting my 995 and the D80 came out I was all hot to get one. I read all about it and all the good things that were said. But, I waited, didn't go to a store and even handle one. Then one Saturday a friend let me try his D80 while we were at a cars and coffee meet. I was sold then and there as that camera fit my hand like a well worn pair of deer skin gloves. I couldn't get one fast enough. And here my wife had been pestering me about upgrading my camera for some months too.
    I strongly suggest you go try them on for size. My D7k is just about the same size as the D80 was so it was a no brainer, especially after my son came by one day on his way to the Orient with a full up kit. I'm sure the D7100 would hold the same way and that's why I'm afraid of going to the store and trying the D750 on for size. It's all in the feel.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    This is the most sound advice I've seen in this thread yet. IF it feels good in your hand you will use it.....
    Then again if one is interested in shooting, whatever equipment is available feels right with use

The older one gets the more ergonomics comes into play, Dan.
    Old(er) hands don't necessarily allow for uncomfortable equipment to be used, no matter how interested in using it.

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

This is the most sound advice I've seen in this thread yet. IF it feels good in your hand you will use it. When I was shooting my 995 and the D80 came out I was all hot to get one. I read all about it and all the good things that were said. But, I waited, didn't go to a store and even handle one. Then one Saturday a friend let me try his D80 while we were at a cars and coffee meet. I was sold then and there as that camera fit my hand like a well worn pair of deer skin gloves. I couldn't get one fast enough. And here my wife had been pestering me about upgrading my camera for some months too.
    I strongly suggest you go try them on for size. My D7k is just about the same size as the D80 was so it was a no brainer, especially after my son came by one day on his way to the Orient with a full up kit. I'm sure the D7100 would hold the same way and that's why I'm afraid of going to the store and trying the D750 on for size. It's all in the feel.
    Thanks... very helpful. Actually the d7100 and full both feel great. But my stump is the limitation differences, technically, between a FULL FRAME camera and the LESSOR SIZE FRAME Nikons. I so anticipate wildlife shooting at some point. Thanks.

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

I do anticipate shooting wildlife... but believe the D7100 has a 6 frame per second function.

I'd suggest you read some of the tutorials here on CinC that discuss that then. It may help you make up your mind.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by mfields View Post
    the D7100 has a 6 frame per second function.
    See this thread.

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

You photos are great... and pretty close to what I am wanting to capture. Just bought a small ranch up close to the Canadian Border in WA, and am anxious to start shooting. What camera platform has you typically used in your ALASKA GALLERY shots? They are great... maybe I already said that!!! But, they are!

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

Opps!

Real Name
    John

My method was fairly straightforward... I used to be heavier into cameras back in the 70's - 80's. Used a Cannon in Viet Nam. Dormant since then. Several years ago, picked up a Nikon D60 offered at Costco with some nice lens configurations. Have enjoyed it, and glass is great. Now, Costco is tempting me again with the D7100. But, anticipating getting more involved in the endeavor soon... am perplexed re: DG vs FF. Sorry to ramble.
    i'd say you were lucky with your method. When I purchased my D60 I had no interest in post processing other than contrast and brightness adjustments, no deep seated interest in lowlight photography, and wasn't really that knowledgeable about focus points. It took some time for my interests to develop beyond auto settings, when it did and I had an interest in upgrading I used those features missing from my D60 to decide what would be the best upgrade choice for me and the FF choice did enter into the picture; haven't made that leap yet and I'm still enjoying working the heck out of my upgrade.

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

I'd suggest you read some of the tutorials here on CinC that discuss that then. It may help you make up your mind.
    You photos are great... and pretty close to what I am wanting to capture. Just bought a small ranch up close to the Canadian Border in WA, and am anxious to start shooting. What camera platform has you typically used in your ALASKA GALLERY shots? They are great... maybe I already said that!!! But, they are!
    Just looked deeper and it seems that you more than likely have an entire gambit of cameras, ranging from FF Canons to Nikons. My guess you don't have anything but FF cameras... correct?

Just looked deeper and it seems that you more than likely have an entire gambit of cameras, ranging from FF Canons to Nikons. My guess you don't have anything but FF cameras... correct?
    I believe this is directed at NorthernFocus (Dan) and not me. =;>)

Real Name
    Mark Robucks

clicked ON myalaskagalleries. He posted two sights on his reply.
    YOU ARE CORRECT... it is Dan's gallery. So, when I grow up, that is exactly what I want to produce. So, the question is, do I need to go FF or will the D7100 get it done good?
    Last edited by mfields; 13th November 2014 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast