Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Afford Another FF So?

Real Name
    Russell

Cannot Afford Another FF So?

Hi, OK hands up I cannot afford now on a pension a FF Canon Camera I have a 1DS MK ii but it although it is still a very good piece of kit getting to heavy for me and the way the technology has surged forward since the release of the 1DS MK ii I want a new camera.
    As I have lenses for Canon I suppose that is the way to go.
    I have been looking at the 70D but and I no pixels don't make you a good photographer it only has a stated 20MP where a Nikon D5300 has a stated 24MP and also like the 70D has WiFi.
    Nikon D5300 with a 18-140mm kit lens £555.99
    Canon 70D Digital SLR Camera Body + EF-S 18-55 IS STM Lens £679.99
    I have NO experience with Nikon at all but that could be a new challenge!!!
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Cannot Afford Another FF So?

What do you shoot? Do you shoot much in low ambient light? Do you print, or display on the web? If you print, do you print large?

Without answers to questions like this, it is very hard to say what might be best. However, a few general comments:

--In my opinion, it is not worth worrying about which brand you buy. Buy the one that feels best in your hands and has controls that seem most logical to you. On the list of things that influence the quality of images, the choice between Canon and Nikon is way, way down near the bottom.

--For most people under most circumstances, crop sensor cameras are just fine, and for many purposes, you would be hard pressed to see the difference. I have both, and I am confident that if I stripped off the exif information, in most cases you wouldn't be able to tell which I shot with which based on images shown on the web. (I can't either.) there are circumstances where one format or the other is better, but that depends on what you shoot. E.g., my FF is better in low light, and my crop is better for some types of macro work.)

Crop sensors have one huge advantage for those of us who aren't young any more: the cameras are smaller and lighter, and for a given amount of reach, the lenses are smaller and lighter too.

Real Name
    Russell

Thanks for your input and to answer your questions. Mostly Landscape/Seascape and on occasion interiors for fun only, print now and again A3 but mostly for the web and my own viewing. Would really like a 6D or a used 5D mk ii but outside what I can afford nowadays. Again thank you for the reply. Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    What do you shoot? Do you shoot much in low ambient light? Do you print, or display on the web? If you print, do you print large?

Without answers to questions like this, it is very hard to say what might be best. However, a few general comments:

--In my opinion, it is not worth worrying about which brand you buy. Buy the one that feels best in your hands and has controls that seem most logical to you. On the list of things that influence the quality of images, the choice between Canon and Nikon is way, way down near the bottom.

--For most people under most circumstances, crop sensor cameras are just fine, and for many purposes, you would be hard pressed to see the difference. I have both, and I am confident that if I stripped off the exif information, in most cases you wouldn't be able to tell which I shot with which based on images shown on the web. (I can't either.) there are circumstances where one format or the other is better, but that depends on what you shoot. E.g., my FF is better in low light, and my crop is better for some types of macro work.)

Crop sensors have one huge advantage for those of us who aren't young any more: the cameras are smaller and lighter, and for a given amount of reach, the lenses are smaller and lighter too.

Real Name
    Dan

that's two key answers: you are mostly not shooting in low light, and you are not printing large. I really doubt you will see a difference between a good crop and a FF. If I were in your boots, I would probably buy a crop and put some of the difference into a decent tripod, if you don't have one, and a remote release.

Real Name
    Richard

I would think that the choice between another Canon camera (either full frame or crop) and switching to Nikon might be predicated on the collection of lenses that you have for the 1Ds-mkiii. All Canon EF lenses can fit on both EF cameras and EFS cameras.

Another think that I would do is make a mental or written list of all of the downsides of the 1DS-mkii for your use and try to decide on a camera that eliminates/mitigates those downsides and has the bells and whistles that you would enjoy having.

I realize that the camera/lens prices are different between the USA and the UK but, I would guess that the relationship of prices between various cameras might be similar. The 1DS-mkiii is selling used for around $2,000 USD on eBay USA. That price would get you a full frame 6D with some cash left over. A refurbished 6D from Canon USA costs $1,519 USD, You could also get a used 5D mkiii for around $2,000 or so...

If you have decent glass, I would suggest selling the 5dMKiii and getting either a 5D Mkiii or a 6D. If you don't like your glass, then sell the whole kit and start again from scratch.

If weight is the main problem, perhaps you might look at other brands and formats like the 4/3...

Could I offer a suggestion from out in 'left field'?
    How about a Sony NEX camera?
    I am in the same boat, retired, fixed income now, and have a bunch of old lenses that I wanted to use. Film is/was too expensive for me so I got myself a used NEX 7 and some adapters.
    Couldn't be happier unless I'd gotten a D750, which isn't going to happen any day soon. 24.3 mega pixels, small, light, and it puts out some really nice pics with the lenses I've got. You might want to look into it.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Like AOA (above) ah was going tae suggest Sony A7 series or NEX. The A7 is selling between 1000-1200 GBP, refurbed/used around 900 -1100 gbp. That's a 24 meg, FF camera, with probably the best current sensor, which weighs around a third of the Canon. Canon probably has the greatest amount of adaptors for CSCs, so no problems with using yer lens collection.

I'm going to be blunt (and honest): If you can't afford a FF Canon, how can you afford to sell your collection of Canon lenses (on which you will take a loss), and change to some other brand?

I thought quite seriously about converting to M43 this past year but with five Canon lenses (three of them L quality), I'd be losing quite a bit of money by selling my lenses and starting over.

Furthermore, as most wise people say, "buy good glass" and change the bodies.

Final comment - buying a non-Canon body to use with your Canon lenses seems a great idea until one realizes that the IS and AF systems of the Canon lenses won't work on non-Canon bodies.

Glenn

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I'm going to be blunt (and honest): If you can't afford a FF Canon, how can you afford to sell your collection of Canon lenses (on which you will take a loss), and change to some other brand?

I thought quite seriously about converting to M43 this past year but with five Canon lenses (three of them L quality), I'd be losing quite a bit of money by selling my lenses and starting over.

Furthermore, as most wise people say, "buy good glass" and change the bodies.

Final comment - buying a non-Canon body to use with your Canon lenses seems a great idea until one realizes that the IS and AF systems of the Canon lenses won't work on non-Canon bodies.

Glenn
    They will with this...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    They will with this...
    There seems to be rather a lot of limitations having looked at the link. My initial impression is that it is only of use for crop sized sensors as well. I assume the a7 has a crop mode but why have a ff camera if it's limited to crop?

John
    -

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    They will with this...
    In the first post, he said "on a pension and cannot afford FF body".

The Metabones adapter is an additional $400 plus any taxes and shipping which just might be more useful put towards a newer body.

Many refurbished bodies are available from Canon and elsewhere:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...al-slr-cameras

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...ras-and-Lenses

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-equ...sPage=Infinity

Real Name
    Russell

Hi,Glenn thanks for the links and as the UK was the best option there I had a look at camera world, then a laugh as I looked at the Canon 6D referb there and there price £1,050.00 with a an underline RRP £2,137.00 SAVE £1,087.00 so then had a look at a place called Castle Cameras and there price for brand new £1,279.00 so now going to spend the rest of the night looking for that £1,087.00 saving. thanks again. Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    In the first post, he said "on a pension and cannot afford FF body".

The Metabones adapter is an additional $400 plus any taxes and shipping which just might be more useful put towards a newer body.

Many refurbished bodies are available from Canon and elsewhere:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...al-slr-cameras

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...ras-and-Lenses

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-equ...sPage=Infinity

Good luck Russell.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    I have been looking at the 70D but and I no pixels don't make you a good photographer it only has a stated 20MP where a Nikon D5300 has a stated 24MP and also like the 70D has WiFi.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Russ
    Had to grin at "only" 20MP for the Canon

To set your mind at rest, the pixel sizes (well pixel pitches actually) are almost the same because the Nikon sensor is a tad bigger.

Canon: 4.11um
    Nikon: 3.91um

If you've already got good Canon lenses, the 70D might be the better choice.

<snip>
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 14th November 2014 at 03:48 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Another option...

I shoot with a pair of Canon 7D DSLR cameras. I am not suggesting a pair of cameras but, the 7D (despite being knocked since the 7D2 came out) is still an excellent camera and can be had used or refurbished at a bit more than what (I assume) you would get for your camera...

NOTE: I MADE A MISTAKE IN MY PREVIOUS POST AND THOUGHT YOU HAD THE 1DS Mkiii rather than the Mkii... Sorry for any misunderstandings...

I got my 7D cameras as Canon refurbished items and one cost less than $900 (USD) while the other cost less than $1,000 (USD). I also don't know about the tax implications of ordering from the USA for delivery to the UK but, Donald should be an expert in that area since he has just ordered and hopefully has received his 7D2...

The 7D without a battery grip is considerably lighter in weight than the 1DS Mkii you are presently shooting with. I find that I don't need a battery grip with a camera like the 7D...

I don't know what lenses you have for the 1DS Mk ii but I could shoot 90-95% of my imagery (except for macro and long range wildlife) with a combination of 17-55mm f.2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses... You mention that one of your interests is wildlife photography - so I would assume that you have appropriate lenses for that venue...

I am quite happy with my 7D cameras. They do just about everything that I need in a camera....

Finally, If you decide to sell your Canon gear; if you have L glass lenses for your Canon body; you should not take too much of a financial beating if you desire to sell them. That is one of the advantages of L lenses over consumer glass...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2014 at 02:54 AM.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Hi, OK hands up I cannot afford now on a pension a FF Canon Camera I have a 1DS MK ii but it although it is still a very good piece of kit getting to heavy for me and the way the technology has surged forward since the release of the 1DS MK ii I want a new camera.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Russ
    You might want to go through this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRzjfNuVe0

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Russ
    You might want to go through this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRzjfNuVe0

Real Name
    John

It sounds to me like another Canon camera is the best bet by far to retain any lenses the OP has. I wonder if there is some new camera comes out element to changing really but it is a hefty beast. L lenses are not light either.

In many ways the downside to a crop canon camera will be a drop in ISO performance and the lack of a wide angle lens assuming that the L's don't go down to 16mm or whatever. That could fixed by buying a camera plus lens.

I think before anyone suggests cameras an idea of a comfortable level of expense would be a good idea. As I am retired and on a fixed income - always have been actually I am well aware of the problems that aspect has. Perhaps I am more used to it than some. Most people have some relatively spare cash available from their income and sometimes it's better to wait and save a bit rather than hit savings that will be hard to replace. What I did initially following retirement was lived like Scrooge one month on one month off. The drop in my case was rather savage as I retired rather early. This helped a lot and gave me a different mind set. These days I work on trying to retain spare cash in the bank and buy things periodically. Worse still I never flatten the bank account now and leave plenty in it - just in case. It takes a while.

John
    -

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, OK would like to thank everyone for there input into the OP some very good advice here.
    I was leaning toward the 70D and not just for it's price but also the WiFi option so I can I hope connect it up with my Nexus pad (save all that beding down to ground level)
    The 7D MK ii is a little out of my price range and if I could afford that I think I would go for a 6D FF.
    Oh yes!! I have 7 Canon fit lenses 4 x Canon and 3 others so the lens buying if I changed brands would cost quite a bit.
    Again
    Thanks to ALL.

Real Name
    Richard

I read a comment recently that seems to be appropriate. This is just a general comment regarding the allocation of resources...

If you want beautiful landscapes; which is better: to buy a new camera and search for images in your local park or stick with the gear you already have and use the money to travel to some scenic spot and shoot?

Donald has done great work with his 40D and I submit these two images as an example of what can be done with a camera like the Canon 30D...

When I was shooting at Yosemite with the 30D, I had no ideas that the camera wasn't any good
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast