Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon New 100 to 400L

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Canon New 100 to 400L

Last edited by William W; 11th November 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added second link

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canon New 100 to 400L

Big month for coming out with the updates to those things we all thought needed to be updated soon. Wouldn't expect this one to be anything less that straight out of the top drawer.

Now, how much could I get for the Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS in part-exchange?

Real Name
    Richard

This upgrade has been anticipated and wanted for a long while. It has checked many of the boxes for needed improvement of the venerable 100-400L: improved IS, shorter MFD and twist zoom rather than trombone style, etc...

One interesting improvement is not with the lens itself but, with the lens hood. According to DPReview, "A new bayonet-style ET-83D hood is included, with a slot for easier adjustment of filters." I wish that Canon would wake up and supply hoods with a filter adjustment slot for all of their lenses. However, I would rather have seen a built-in retractable hood such as I have on my 400mm f/5.6L and 300mm f/4L IS lenses. Sure it adds a bit of weight to the lens but, it is super nice to work with...

The price is pretty high but not so high that you might need to sell a kidney to afford In fact, I "might" just sell my 300mm and 400mm lenses and consolidate their focal ranges in this 100-400mm lens!

B&H New York website has some additional information on the new lens...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_5_6l_is.html

This includes an image of the nes lens hood. Every lens hood should be equipped this way!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th November 2014 at 10:49 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Yikes!

Thought they'd forgot - that said it took Nikon an age to update their 80-400mm and they're priced about the same so it should sell. I know a good few people who shoot with the current 100-400mm so I'll be interested to see it in action.

Real Name
    Kathy

Also nice to see they priced it $500 under Nikon's AF-S 80-400G VR.