Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What tabletop tripod (or technique) for outdoor, ground-level photography?

Real Name
    James Edwards

Re: What tabletop tripod (or technique) for outdoor, ground-level photography?

Basically, I use Dan's setup to get the camera as low as possible, by inverting my centre column (Manfrotto Tripod).
    The real problem though is getting a decent view. Squatting, crawling getting mud in my eye, or nearly poking it out on my angle viewer..... plus the fact I'm not as supple as I was...Fungi are always in the dampest of areas! So now I use a USB connected Nexus tablet running an Android app (Helicon Remote), to focus and trigger the shutter.

There is a related thread running at present, "Controlling Canon 7D with iPhone", at the link below which may also help.

Controlling Canon 7D with iPhone

I use the beanbag to relax on!

Real Name
    J stands for John

I would normally be found with a Biro or some other pen in my pocket and with a firm surface I place it under the lens ... been doing this on and off for years now.

I think John #20 is ingenious in solving his problem of artifical knees. "Where there is a will there is a way"

Real Name
    Probir Kumar Sengupta

What about a JOBY tripod? What do members feel about this device?

Real Name
    Mark

personally I use a large (ish) waterproof bean bag filled with polystyrene beads - it works for me as you make it the shape you need to fit the ground and support the camera as you want it, I then tend to shoot live view and remote release, Nikon 5200 with articulated screen, that was a serious part of the decision to buy it given i mainly do macro bugs, flowers etc- the beanbag is waterproof so wipe clean and the 'beans' dont go mouldy
    oh and it weighs almost nothing and can either be clipped to the outside of the camera bag or squashed into the bag and acts as a shock absorber in the bag

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Try an old Frisbee. Drill a hole in the middle to fit a 3/8 or 1/4 inch threaded bolt. Put a couple of big washers on it one inside and one out and use that to hold a ballhead in the middle or halfway out to the edge.

Sorry, don't have a picture of the last one I made. The dog liked it too much.

I've tried hanging the camera from the bottom of a centre post - once and that was one time too many. I can't imagine anything more awkward.

My tripod will permit putting the camera virtually on the ground without getting wet/dirty:

What tabletop tripod (or technique) for outdoor, ground-level photography?

By adding spikes that push well into the ground, the whole assembly is rigid, and won't fall over. With just the rubber feet on soft ground or vegetation, the tripod will move as the tripod settles into the ground/vegetation.

What tabletop tripod (or technique) for outdoor, ground-level photography?

Real Name
    John

Another tripod that will do the same thing as Glenn's is the Benbo. They need a bit of thought in use - if the arm is extended sideways and the legs not splayed out enough the lot may fall over. There are demo video's about.

I have also been known to have one of these in my bag. There are other variants that are similar. The ball head clamp locks the legs as well as the head.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...-585/show.html

Another reason I carry one is because often there is something around that a camera can be placed on but it's difficult to frame hence people using bean bags etc.

John
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12