Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Re: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Ted,

Thanks for your detailed "Show Image" explanation. As mentioned to John all this is new to me and am looking for an easy simple way to make these different photos similar.

Received a recommendation from some Video friends for DaVinci Resolve Lite https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve but as a beginner it is too complex for me at this time.

Tried Pixie v4.1 http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.php which is more my speed and can use it with different Photo Editors.

Would like to start out with very basic apps until have more experience, am interested in any suggestions.

Also mentioned was Paint.NET http://www.getpaint.net/ but have not had a chance to try it.

Ken

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    Ted,

Thanks for your detailed "Show Image" explanation. As mentioned to John all this is new to me and am looking for an easy simple way to make these different photos similar.Tried Pixie v4.1 http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.php which is more my speed and can use it with different Photo Editors.

Would like to start out with very basic apps until have more experience, am interested in any suggestions.

Ken
    Ken, in that case, you have all you need: FastStone Viewer [but see edit below] and Pixie. How about trying this:

Fire up Pixie and set it to 'stay on top'.

Choose a reference image e.g. myReference.jpg and open it in Windows Viewer or even Paint but not FastStone [see edit below].

Adjust the window so it occupies half your screen.

Open the image to be matched up to the reference, e.g. myVictim.jpg, in FastStone Viewer to occupy the other half of your screen. [edit] Unfortunately, FastStone takes over the full screen for editing whether you like it or not, so we have to use a different editor hereinafter referred to as 'the editor' [/edit]. So, re-stating:

Open the image to be matched up to the reference, e.g. myVictim.jpg, in the editor with it's window set to occupy the other half of your screen.

Something like this (no Pixie on my computer):

Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Now adjust the Victim in the editor with whatever options the editor has and that make sense to you, using Pixie to zip back and forth between the on-screen images until happy - save the adjusted image (best keep the original for now) as e.g. myVictimAdj1.jpg.

Note: I've already mentioned that an on-screen RGB value is not necessarily what's in the file, so your last step is to open both images in FastStone Viewer and review then in the side-by-side comparison view to make sure they look similar enough for your purpose.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 17th November 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Ted,

Thanks again for the detailed suggestions.

"Unfortunately, FastStone takes over the full screen for editing whether you like it or not, so we have to use a different editor hereinafter referred to as 'the editor'

Agree have been trying others but would like to find something optimized for color editing.

Was very impressed with your RawTherapee work!

While I try the more basic color editing apps would like to start using RawTherapee.

Noticed your RawTherapee is 4.0.11.203 are you using it on a 32 or 64 bit PC? Reason am asking is I am using a 32 bit PC. If you are using a 32 bit PC do you have any problems using RawTherapee?

Ken

Real Name
    Ted

While I try the more basic color editing apps would like to start using RawTherapee.

Noticed your RawTherapee is 4.0.11.203 are you using it on a 32 or 64 bit PC?
    32 bit, XP Pro, SP3.

Reason am asking is I am using a 32 bit PC. If you are using a 32 bit PC do you have any problems using RawTherapee?
    It doesn't like big files. Only one file open at a time was recommended to me by Michael Ezra over on LL. It sometimes quits without explanation. Not an app for the faint-hearted

RawTherapee 4.2: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Ted,

Recently noticed RawTherapee 4.2 is out. Read "RawTherapee-4.2 includes many speed, precision, stability and memory usage optimizations. As such, users of 32-bit operating systems may now find that they can enjoy more stability while using the most memory intensive tools." http://rawtherapee.com/blog/rawtherapee-4.2-is-out

Have you tried it?

Ken

Ted,

Since your post concerning using Pixie with multiple Photo Viewers and Editors I have tried the combination you suggested and a few others but it has been very frustrating doing this and the results were not satisfactory.

After this received and tried Color Correction Wizard v 1.1. http://www.vicman.net/colorcorrectionwizard/ From reading "All you need is to select the template image and the characteristics you want to impose upon other images."

Exactly what I want to do!!! Unfortunately the results were also not satisfactory.

Still Looking for other Color Correction Software.

Ken

Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions!

This is much more difficult than I ever imagined and am sure this is due at least in part to my inexperience, and lack of necessary hardware/software.

Would like to explain why am even trying to do this. I would like to get a "Good" cellphone camera. A friend sent me "Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come by Dean Holland Jan 2, 2014 http://connect.dpreview.com/post/553...lr-versus-film

Was very impressed with how close the Nokia 1020 came to the Nikon D800!!! but was disappointed that the color was not more closely matched.

As a result would like to open this up to everyone interested in trying to more evenly match the original Canon, iPhone, Nikon and Nokia Photos. They are available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/311649...7638854099414/ (also found in the article).

Greatly appreciate any help!!!

Thanks

Ken

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    32 bit, XP Pro, SP3.

It doesn't like big files. Only one file open at a time was recommended to me by Michael Ezra over on LL. It sometimes quits without explanation. Not an app for the faint-hearted
    I run the last dev version, came with a warning, and don't have any problems on 64 bit but Linux and plenty of memory. The only funny I find has been kicking around at times. Noise removal only showing it's effect at 100% view levels. They have had this sort of problem before. Odd thing is I have had problems with the small pop up 100% views as well so have tended to only use the full 100%.

John
    -

Real Name
    Ted

Re: RawTherapee 4.2: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Ted,

Recently noticed RawTherapee 4.2 is out. Read "RawTherapee-4.2 includes many speed, precision, stability and memory usage optimizations. As such, users of 32-bit operating systems may now find that they can enjoy more stability while using the most memory intensive tools." http://rawtherapee.com/blog/rawtherapee-4.2-is-out

Have you tried it?

Ken
    Hi Ken, thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded v4.2.3 and it runs. All I did was set the prefs, look at an image and exit, 'cos today I am Mr. Carpenter installing a counter as part of on-going kitchen construction.

Ted,

Recently read "Think differently about color with Match Color" By John Paul Caponigro. Seems it is part of both recent PhotoShop & PS Elements.

Checked PS Elements Wiki but it has no info concerning when "Match Color" was introduced.

Does your PhotoShop Elements 6 have "Match Color"?

Am also wondering if RT v4.2.3 or Gimp has anything similar to "Match Color"

Did some searching and found posting by Steve Ross & others
    "In Photoshop, you can use Image > Adjustments > Match Color... then choose the image you want to match as the source. This is handy for product shots done under pretty similar circumstances. However, if you are looking at landscapes shot under different lighting conditions, you'll probably have to mess with the sliders in the Match Color dialog to get to a good starting point.

After that, tweaking the color is, as was pointed out before, best done using Curves (in an adjustment layer).

Be sure not to overwrite your original, as Match Color is a destructive edit!

Examples:

Before

enter image description here

After

enter image description here

This was done with Match Color and a color intensity of 84 -- so not all the way up. As you can see, the greenish cast of the left-hand image (the bad one) is gone.

Hope this helps.
    http://photo.stackexchange.com/quest...os/13185#13185

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Ken

Real Name
    Ted

Ted,

Does your PhotoShop Elements 6 have "Match Color"?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Ken
    Can't help right now Ken, computer was acting up so I had to re-format the disk and re-install Windows.

Consequently, no photo apps on my machine at all right now
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 5th December 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Ouch! you too??? Good luck -- at least you know more than I do on computers...
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Can't help right now Ken, computer was acting up so I had to re-format the disk and re-install Windows.

Consequently, no photo apps on my machine at all right now

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Ouch! you too??? Good luck -- at least you know more than I do on computers...
    Thanks for the compliment, Izzie, but sometimes I get too smart for my own good. Anyhow, I went back to the shop and bought two more machines as spares. XP Pro of course

Now I'm running a Pentium 4 single core machine but with 3GB RAM. Gradually re-loading all those 'essential' apps and hoping that RawTherapee (RT) will behave better with the extra RAM.

As to Ken's question re. color-matching in PSE6, I've decided to not load PSE6 which renders me still unable to answer the question. As to color-matching in RT, there is no function with that name but there are plenty of functions that can achieve a similar result.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123