Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: D5000 Lenses

D5000 Lenses

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for lenses for my D5000 for the following situations:

1) Entry level, inexpensive macro lens for beginning macro photography. I have never done it, but it seems like it may be something of interest.

2) A quicker f stop lens than what I have....looking for at least 2 or smaller where I can take good quality indoor action.

I already have the following lenses:

Kit Lens 55-200 F4.5
    Kit Lens 18-55 F3.5
    Prime 35 F1.8

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if you have any likes or dislikes with your suggestions. Thanks a lot everyone.

Warren

Re: D5000 Lenses

Lots of people viewing....but no one is confident enough to reply....hmmm.

OK Warren, in answer to:-
    1. This lens does not exist, if it did we would all have one.
    2. Your 35mm 1.8 is a pretty decent indoor lens, if you would be a little less vague about the type of indoor action, distance etc, we may be able to help. For example the 35mm 1.8 would be great for the kids playing on the lounge room floor but would be hopeless for basketball in a gymnasium.

Real Name
    umashankar

No personal experience, Warren and, given a chance, I'd give third party lenses a pass, but you may try these:

1. Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro
    2. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Ok, my indoor use is basically for dance competitions....so I can never seem to get as close as I would like, so I was contemplating the 50mm 1.8, but did not know if there maybe was a lens that was a little stronger. So the dance competitions are usually under very low light, and I am still about 5 rows from stage on most occasions.

Why do you say that the 35 prime would be no good for gymnasium basketball games??? Too far from action?

Warren

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Warren,

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Ok, my indoor use is basically for dance competitions....so I can never seem to get as close as I would like, so I was contemplating the 50mm 1.8, but did not know if there maybe was a lens that was a little stronger. So the dance competitions are usually under very low light, and I am still about 5 rows from stage on most occasions.

Why do you say that the 35 prime would be no good for gymnasium basketball games??? Too far from action?
    If you've the budget for new, I see Nikon do a 105mm and a 135mm, both at f2, that should help get you closer to the dancers.
    EDIT after more research: These won't Auto Focus on a D40/D60, D3000 or D5000 though (only "AF" not "AF-S")
    EDIT2 after even more research: There is a new 105mm macro lens that will AF, but it is f2.8, not f1.8, but that's still 1.5 stops wider than what you have now at that focal length. Nikon UK link.
    It might solve both things in one go, as a compromise, for about £615. Oh my goodness; I can almost feel myself wanting one. Now look what you've done

The answer to the last question is 'yes'.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th April 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add "EDIT" sentence

Dave,

Thanks for the input. So you are telling me that the macro 105mm 'will' auto focus? I thought macro was primarily for upclose work, such as insects and plants etc.? Is that not the case? Lastly, is the 105mm a prime lens? I can not tell from the write ups, but it only lists the 105mm so I am assuming that it is indeed a prime lens.

Warren

Edited Question: Is there a zoom lens for around the same money that would fit the bill as well?
    Last edited by Warren; 29th April 2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add question.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the input. So you are telling me that the macro 105mm 'will' auto focus? I thought macro was primarily for upclose work, such as insects and plants etc.? Is that not the case? Lastly, is the 105mm a prime lens? I can not tell from the write ups, but it only lists the 105mm so I am assuming that it is indeed a prime lens.

Warren

Edited Question: Is there a zoom lens for around the same money that would fit the bill as well?
    Hi Warren,

Yes the newer 105mm Macro will AF on a D5000. Yes macro is for that use, but it still works further away, so as you'd said "1)" was for such a lens .... I thought "one stone, two birds"

Prime just means "not zoom", so if only one single focal length is stated (instead of a range), then it is by default, a prime lens.
    Well, that's a safe working assumption, I don't know the detailed dictionary definition

Answer to Edited question; no, not at these kinds of apertures at that kind of price.
    An f2.8 zoom will be bigger, heavier and more expensive; e.g. there is a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 G ED AF-S VR II Lens at about £1,650.

I just thought 105mm will get you three times closer than the 35mm, do macro and be faster than the kit lens, for a not unreasonably amount of money.

I don't know what your budget might be, but I guess you can google "best nikon mount lenses" just like I did, and zero in on the US suppliers

Cheers,