Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Jays and Squirrels

Real Name
    Kyle

Jays and Squirrels

Went out to test my new 70D (got it used for the same price as a used 7D) on a hike. The local conservation area is always filled with wildlife since that's where everyone goes to feed them. Caught a few good shoots there. So far I'm very happy with the camera. Now to upgrade the glass.

1. Jays and Squirrels

2. Jays and Squirrels

3. Jays and Squirrels

c&c welcome

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Jays and Squirrels

Very nice shots Kyle My best is #1. I like the expression in #2. #3 is looks good too, I wish the whole tail was in the frame.

Enjoy your new toy

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the last one even if the tail was cut off. You are getting a bit careless, Kyle...what do you have a point and shoot? The expression of #1 is priceless.

Real Name
    Kyle

Thanks for the comments everyone. The Squirrel was quite cute. They've gotten really brave and will actually walk right up to you and stare at you, expecting food even if you have none. Really helps to get good shots even if I don't agree with feeding them. This one was quite funny. He kept poking around the fence post to look at me until he determined I wasn't going to give him any food.

That Jay shot was the best I had of a series of shots. Only one with a cut off tail but it was the sharpest and had the best composition. Really need to watch the entire frame more but those birds are fast.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good work on the squirrels Kyle,

I find them quite twitchy and difficult to get results as sharp as yours.

Enjoy (the 70D),

Real Name
    John

Pity about the Jay's tail but that's a nice series and the camera is certainly performing.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hi Kyle: The Number 2 squirrel is hilarious. You should run a little contest to see who comes up with the best "cartoon bubble" caption. These images are all nice and sharp. It looks like you have incredibly huge squirrels in your neck of the woods. I know what you mean about the jays. I have been trying to capture one at my feeder for quite a while, but he is so wary and will not let me sneak up on him.

Real Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Good work on the squirrels Kyle,

I find them quite twitchy and difficult to get results as sharp as yours.

Enjoy (the 70D),
    Usually they are a bit troublesome to get a good shot of. The lighting in the conservation area isn't great due to the trees so their twitchy movements are hard to get with a slow shutter speed. I'm loving the 70D so far. It does everything that I want and more.

John, the camera really is performing. Now I can't blame any bad photos on my equipment! (Actually, I'll just start blaming the lens)

Thanks Suzan, that's a great idea. The Squirrels right here do get quite big because they are so well fed. We do also have some of the smaller red squirrels as well.

The Jays are actually a bit more bold here as well. I've had some land right in front of me expecting food but they don't like you taking shots of them.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Kyle,

Congrats on your new camera!

All nicely captured but I especially love the 2nd image for the perspective and the moment captured. The expression is truly priceless - great timing.

When I move #2 around in the lyte box I'm inclined to crop just a little bit off of the right hand side (for more attention on the squirrel) to eliminate the yellow branches in the uppermost corner because they draw my eye.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 30th October 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about suggested crop