Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Camargue

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

The Camargue

Another part of my recent tour was a week around the Camargue - A flat delta and a haven for wildlife with vast skies. I wanted to capture that vastness and wonder whether I have achieved it with this small selection - your thoughts as ever gratefully received

1. From the ramparts of Aigue Morte. The sky was grey and I 'saw' this in black and white

The Camargue

2. On our cycle ride along the Dyke. The autumn colours of the plants reminded me of the heather in Scotland at this time of year

The Camargue

3. The protected beach

The Camargue

4. Looking inland towards the lagoon and the treasured flamingoes

The Camargue

Real Name
    Carolyn

Re: The Camargue

I have the same ambition with where I live-to capture the huge skies, the loneliness without making it bleak. I think you have succeeded here. I really like the tones, textures and lines in #3.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye Leggett View Post
    From the ramparts of Aigue Morte. The sky was grey and I 'saw' this in black and white

The Camargue
    Well done on 'seeing' the B & W. I do think that's a key element in trying to make B & Ws. On this one I think the composition lets it down. To me it's like two 'bits' separated by the water in the middle.

But as for the others ........! I think they're really good, strong images.

The Camargue
    This, I think is a beautiful picture. It's strength is its simplicity. And it's not easy to make a strong image out of so few elements. And I love huge expanses of (interesting) sky, which this has. Brilliant.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hello Kaye: I believe you have managed to convey the vastness and bleakness of the sky. I also prefer the colour versions as I agree with Donald that the first image seems too partitioned in a way. My favourite is Number 3 as I really like the visible footprints in the foreground. It adds a bit of timeless mystery and reminds me of those pictures of "caveman" fossilized footprints. How would that one look with a B and W conversion?

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Kaye I like #2 and #3 very much. If it was mine I would try to improve #3 with some PP.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Kaye,

Just to say that I think #2 is absolutely gorgeous (love the sky and the composition), and #2 is beautiful!

I'm actually very fond of #1 with just the uppermost portion of the image cropped off just below the two trees, leaving the lines on the top of the image. I can't explain why but when I move it around I just like it this way.

Real Name
    John

Nice images, the protected beach really works for me.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

...I wanted to capture that vastness and wonder whether I have achieved it with this small selection - your thoughts as ever gratefully received
    Kaye, you have not achieved your goal...you have (by far) exceeded it, in my opinion. These are strong, yet simple (some minimalist), compositions.

Well done.

Real Name
    Grahame

Well Kaye, for me it has to be No 2 but very closely followed by No 1

You did achieve your goal.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Kaye, there is another way to view these images. For the most part, they are made of relatively horizontal lines. As such you could try changing the aspect ratio to something between 16x9 or even 2x1 and see how it looks to you. You could easily determine if that would work for you by opening the image in the lightbox and moving the image around with you mouse to crop a bit off the top or bottom to get the feel of a wider aspect ratio. If you like it better, you could crop a bit to get the feeling you desire. If you don't like it as well, then the test is a quick and painless one.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Another part of my recent tour was a week around the Camargue - A flat delta and a haven for wildlife with vast skies. I wanted to capture that vastness and wonder whether I have achieved it with this small selection - your thoughts as ever gratefully received

1. From the ramparts of Aigue Morte. The sky was grey and I 'saw' this in black and white

The Camargue

2. On our cycle ride along the Dyke. The autumn colours of the plants reminded me of the heather in Scotland at this time of year

The Camargue

3. The protected beach

The Camargue

4. Looking inland towards the lagoon and the treasured flamingoes

The Camargue
    Wow! Thanks for the memories of a visit ......a looooong time ago......

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Thanks to you all for your encouragement and suggestions, really appreciated - I will work with them later today.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I just love the strength of the composition in #2 -- very powerful sky there...and #3 is another fav here for what has already been said -- lines and textures.