Thread: Laneways of Melbourne

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Laneways of Melbourne

Melbourne is full of interesting laneways which are a delight for street photographers. I tried my hand the other day with the following results. Comments welcome. Pls view full size to get best sharpness (open in Litebox and press the "f" key).

Dave

Laneways of Melbourne

Laneways of Melbourne

Laneways of Melbourne

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Laneways of Melbourne

Absolutely wonderful Dave, my only disappointment was to not be able to locate any of my family members in any of the images.... 5 live there, surely the odds weren't that bad, out of how many million?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Absolutely wonderful Dave, my only disappointment was to not be able to locate any of my family members in any of the images.... 5 live there, surely the odds weren't that bad, out of how many million?
    Many thanks Kay. Perhaps it would be better not to know what they are up to sometimes ?

These shots were taken about lunchtime on a Friday which explains why the laneways were so busy. I must spend more time lurking around there with the camera next time we are down visiting my daughter and her family.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Great stuff. And, again, we're shown something about life in the city which I never expected. Did not envisage Melbourne as a place with lanes like this. For me, it's all about conveying the atmosphere. And these do that.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Donald. I would describe Melbourne as a charming city, somewhat along the same lines as European cities. Sydney on the other hand is bold and brash (like some Australians I suppose) - but it does have a lovely harbour.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 28th October 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

When I think of Melbourne, I think of Collins St, Bourke St. especially...Flinders Station and the trams...and in one of your shots, you were nearing The Block Arcade -- did you go there? Beautiful architecture there too...but that is beside the point -- your shots here are great, the ambiance of the place is there in all these shots...it is alive. Hope you got to sit down and have a sip of the famous smooth chocolate drink at Lindt's.

Real Name
    John

Nice, images really pull you into the scene.

Real Name
    Binnur

+1 to John's comment

Real Name
    Greg

Nice work, Dave, and good processing, too.

I wonder if people notice anything distinctly Australian about these shots?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    When I think of Melbourne, I think of Collins St, Bourke St. especially...Flinders Station and the trams...and in one of your shots, you were nearing The Block Arcade -- did you go there? Beautiful architecture there too...but that is beside the point -- your shots here are great, the ambiance of the place is there in all these shots...it is alive. Hope you got to sit down and have a sip of the famous smooth chocolate drink at Lindt's.
    Thanks Izzie. I believe I did go through The Block arcade but I really didn't have time to savour the atmosphere as I was running late for lunch with the girls. No time for chocolate either.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for commenting John, Binnur and Greg.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Nice work, Dave, and good processing, too.

I wonder if people notice anything distinctly Australian about these shots?
    Not sure Greg, did you have anything in mind ?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post

Not sure Greg, did you have anything in mind ?
    Not really. I just wondered if people from other parts of the world noticed anything especially different about the people.

I notice differences in dress between here and Melbourne. No-one in lycra, and very few in shorts. The women don't all have their hair piled on top of their heads. But then, this is a different type of town.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Thanks Izzie. I believe I did go through The Block arcade but I really didn't have time to savour the atmosphere as I was running late for lunch with the girls. No time for chocolate either.

Dave
    Dave...there is a saying circulating around town: the rich gets therapy, the rest of us have chocolate...

Real Name
    Tony Watts

These are nice images which give a flavour of the city which I can imagine but it is not how I remember it. I lived in Melbourne for a few months on a couple of different occasions, the first being when I was a student. It was a long time ago and quite different then.

The group of men in the first look to me as though they were visiting from Lygon Street, a bit scary.