Thread: Paper type for Landscape printing?

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Paper type for Landscape printing?

Not after advice on brands of paper but the type of paper is ideal for printing out landscapes shots. Im thinking of using matte photo paper, but want to get advice before i do. If it helps i will be printing out on A4 size photo paper. It will be only displayed in my room on the walls surrounding my desk, unsure if they will be framed.

Any help will be great.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Paper type for Landscape printing?

Personally, I prefer one of the "lustre" papers, so neither matte nor gloss. What I did do was to get an A4 test pack from one of the paper manufacturers (it happened to be Permajet) so I could print an image on different papers to see which I preferred.

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Allen paper choice is like which camera is better question. Those that print usually choose for the look that the paper will give them for that type or style of image. Myself I like a 308gm Rag stock for B&W images that have a deep tonal range, also those images that have deep rich saturated colours. Those images that I want a punch to (for lack of better words) I will use a Luster stock and there is another stock I use when I want a very bright white. So I use 3 different stocks depending on the look that I want to achieve. You could print on 3 different manufacture's luster stocks and each will print slightly differently.
    The best thing you can do is to get sample pack from say 3 different manufactures and print the same image on each of the different types and compare the outcome. I would also suggest that one of the sample pack be from a higher end paper manufacture.

Cheers: Allan

If it is just for personal use, then use whatever appeals to you. Some paper types may go better with suitable scenes. For example high gloss for bright sunshine but matte for misty subjects.

A little while ago I did a bit of research by printing the same scene on different papers and taking them to my local pub for opinions. They never hold back on voicing their personal thoughts!

I used a cheap paper, a high quality gloss (Epson Premium Glossy), a semi gloss and a matte (Epson Heavyweight Matte).

The high gloss clearly came first, but in second place was the heavyweight matte (many people actually placed this first), and the cheap gloss paper beat the high quality semi gloss which obtained nil points!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Just to be contrary and confuse the issue: have you considered canvas? All my stuff is printed at 20 by 30 inches on canvas and then stretched. A lot cheaper than having to mat and frame paper. I get a local photographer to print on canvas for $85, then stretching is another $50 at the local art store. So cost is $135. Custom matting, framing and glass at this size is $250 to $350 not including the cost of the paper print at $60 (I think, it's been a while).

May be a lot cheaper for paper if you are doing your own printing et al.

Real Name
    Dave

Very interesting Trevor, and apologies to Allen for jumping into his thread.

I have never thought of canvas, though I can imagine the texture suits old barns very well. What decided you to go down that route (apart from price )?

Incidentally, I can buy "chopped" pieces of frame, assemble them, cut the mount(s), and finish the job for $50 max for an A3 image (ccounting my time as free) I do it for fun rather than to save money, but it still makes you think.

Dave

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I have never thought of canvas, though I can imagine the texture suits old barns very well. What decided you to go down that route (apart from price )? Dave
    I don't want to deviate too far off Allen's thread either; cost is the major factor. Almost three for one. However I must say I quite like the appearance of canvas prints. In my workplace I have two old barns, rotting stump with shelf fungi, cattail marsh, weathered driftwood with lichen, a frosty sunrise shot and a black and white of a railway track. Seems to work for all these.

Real Name
    Dan

I don't think there is one answer. Even apart from differences in taste, different images may call for different papers. I keep a few different papers in the house, and when in doubt, it's easy to print two and compare. That said, my default is luster papers.