Thread: Contemplation

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Contemplation

Simply beautiful, Donald! Well done!

Real Name
    John

A good conversion Donald and ten out of ten for seeing a great story which you have caught beautifully. Three thoughts though. Lifting the shadow at the centre and making his other arm more visible (but only slightly) would strengthen the bond between the two halves that others have referred to. Taking down the specular highlights on the harness in particular would for me, remove some slight distraction. If it's there, a little more space in front of the horses nose would IMHO, add a bit more balance to the comp (Content Aware Scale just about does it if not). Finally, I would love to see this as a large print. Definitely one for the wall.

Real Name
    Shane

This is a very nice image Donald and I agree with many of the other suggestions that you have received so far but I will take a moment to second this one from John:

If it's there, a little more space in front of the horses nose would IMHO, add a bit more balance to the comp

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I just love the light and look on the man's face and the horse. However, the dark area in between them makes me feel as if the image is divided into thirds -- the two bright areas in the outer thirds and the dark middle area. If you could brighten the dark area a bit more I think that would make one whole image so to speak and help display the connection between man and horse.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks again to those who have added comments. I always like the constructive comment on here that helps you see what perhaps you didn't. The trick is in taking it on board and remembering it the next time. For example (and there are others above):-

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ... the dark area in between them makes me feel as if the image is divided into thirds -- the two bright areas in the outer thirds and the dark middle area. If you could brighten the dark area a bit more ... .

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The re-work.

Tried to listen to the comments above and apply them, to see what happened.

Open in the lightbox and use the arrows to switch between the two.

Contemplation

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

That revision makes a huge difference for me. I didn't realize when I made the suggestion that the man's right hand is so crucial. For me, the image is now whole rather than one made of three parts.

The other changes you made are also improvements.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Donald - firstly, apologies after all your constructive critique to not yet have replied on this thread!

In terms of the composition itself, I would say you've nailed it. The only slight thing I would look at (purely from photographing people in architectural settings with lots of leading lines, vertical and horizontals) is the angle of the shot - maybe a slight clockwise rotation to get the rails in the background horizontal may add to the image. On the other hand, it might detract from the composition as with the low key and side lighting it may make the man appear as if he's leaning to the right and ruin the intimacy of the shot. If you've got enough real estate pre cropping that might be worth a try.

Quality and direction of light makes the shot here, big time, bringing out the folds on the man's coat and detail on the face of the horse's coat - perhaps the horse's forehead is a little hot though between eye in shadow and curl of hair. Maybe bringing things down a little could reveal a little bit more detail there.

But the main thing is it's a great photo and a wall hanger, it makes you think and relate closely to the bond between man and horse and what they're about to do together.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, guys, for yo9ur detailed and analytical critique. Always appreciated.

On the other hand, it might detract from the composition as with the low key and side lighting it may make the man appear as if he's leaning to the right
    I think that is the problem, Phil.

Interestingly and after a very long time in which I have printed nothing, I printed this, partly with trepidatio0n as I did not know if the inks would be okay (yes, it's been that long). But the good old Epson R300 performed like a dream. Even of just proofing quality paper, it looked wonderful. And, interestingly, the eye of the horse, about which there were some comments above, came up really well, much brighter looking than in the digital versions above.

I think I need to put this one on to A3.

Real Name
    Binnur

The edit looks very nice, but I also still like your original. I think it is because the original has a kind of artistic look and also the face of the horse looks beautiful with white and untouched black colors

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for posting the edited version - it's helpful to see. They are both beautiful...

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Donald,

I really prefer the original. The background fades nicely to dark, which allows you to enjoy the spotlighted figures.

'Rie

Real Name
    Gerry

An excellent capture Donald, as for technicality and composition I am too inexperienced to make comment, just absorbing all the enlightened input. What I really like is the feeling, you have captured, contemplation, anticipation and that bond you get between the two, man and beast even when no words are said, but just a gentle touch with the hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12