Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you go?

Real Name
    Peter

Where would you go?

So if you had unlimited funds and time and could go anywhere, where would you go for your ultimate photo holiday?
    I would go back to Scotland and spend a year walking the highlands
    peter

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Where would you go?

For me it would have to be SE Asia. I had an amazing trip there in 2009, and would retrace my footsteps in some areas, avoid others and try a few new places during an ideal trip.

Cambodia - oh yes, definitely my favourite destination in the area. I'd spend at least 2-3 weeks in Siem Reap and around the temples at Angkor. The most gracious and welcoming people in the area IMO as well.

Vietnam - I'd revisit Hanoi and Ha Long, but also travel the coast down to HCMC.

Laos - I haven't yet visited, but would love to spend a couple of weeks there too.

It's not an expensive area to visit but time required would be great. If the opposite were true I'd love to do something completely different and go on a photo expedition in the South Atlantic and Antarctica

Real Name
    John

Fiji and the surrounding islands.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Poider View Post
    I would go back to Scotland and spend a year walking the highlands
    What a good choice.

There are so many places. Sri Lanka is a place I love. I want to follow in the footsteps of Ansel Adams. Canada, New Zealand, South America ....!

But Antarctica, especially after following Mark's story that he started on here at the end of December 2012, seems to offer fascinating photographic opportunities. If you haven't been through that thread, please do. It's full of the most wonderful images. Click here.

Real Name
    steve

Nepal for me - trek up from the plains into the mountains - but after the rainy season and around the Diwali festival period.

steve

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Antarctica for me

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Antarctica for me
    Hey, that's three of us so far. A few more and we could charter a boat for a CiC expedition!

Real Name
    Dave

Somewhere warm for me

The funny thing about being retired is that in one sense you have all time in the world, but in another sense you may have less than you think.

If it's a one off then I think I'd head for southern and eastern Africa and travel round for a few months. I would make sure I got out more into the towns and villages than I do on my shorter trips. (Practically I couldn't do that for health reasons, so it is only a pipe dream)

Dave

Africa. (Namibia, South Africa, Botswana)

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

In order of Preference:
    County Kildare, (Revisit places from my High School vacations) Edinburgh during the yearly Tattoo, Niagara Falls, The Grand Canyon.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

The ultimate Photo holiday?

Chobe.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Would have to be unlimited funds as the cost of helicopter and airplane charter would be horrendous. It is a huge area. It is a place I have yearned to visit since I was in University in the 1970"s. But only in June, July and August. I get enough winter here.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by dabhand View Post
    Nepal for me - trek up from the plains into the mountains - but after the rainy season and around the Diwali festival period.

steve
    Unfortunately it invariably rains during Diwali.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The Antarctic

Real Name
    J stands for John

Wonderful for the tourist industry but as advertising spelt out to us some years ago "Don't go before seeing [ home country area] "
    As I thought to myself when I spent a week in Washington State ... "Why have I come 12,ooo miles to see stuff just like my backyard?"
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence .... Yeah Right!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence .... Yeah Right!
    Very true ... which is why Peter's suggestion in the very first post in this thread is indeed a good choice.

Real Name
    Kay

What a good idea for a thread on a discussion fourm!
    I think a point we must all consider before dashing for our passports & checking weight limits on carry on bags...a most important question to ask is maybe not where to go, but with whom?
    If one's travel partner is not conversant with the ways of the travelling 'tog, then trouble may arise in the camp, before you can say 'twin share discount'!
    If youve ever heard the question, "don't you have enough yet"? then you're sure to know what I mean.... time has no meaning when one is chasing a dragonfly at sunset..
    For this reason, I am considering sending my dear husband away to Greece with his windsurf/sailboarding pals, whilst I join a photo tour...maybe not to Africa just now, but Alaska & Canada appeal very much to me.
    I also would like to explore NZ again now that I'm old enough to appreciate what I had at my back door & didn't appreciate.
    Australians pay huge amounts of money to visit the mountain scenic areas of Europe, when similarly spectacular scenery is but a step across the ditch away.
    The rural villages one sees when watching the Tour de France each year, also are on my wish list.
    So if I may turn this thread into a side street, has anyone been on a photo tour, where a group goes with a 'guide/pro photog' to a destination abroad for them & what were your experiences?

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hey, that's three of us so far. A few more and we could charter a boat for a CiC expedition!
    Pick me up on your way through!!

Real Name
    Richard

I would spend a month in Istanbul and perhaps go to some other areas of that country. Istanbul is my favorite city outside of San Diego (near where I am fortunate enough - or smart enough to live) and San Francisco...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    So if I may turn this thread into a side street, has anyone been on a photo tour, where a group goes with a 'guide/pro photog' to a destination abroad for them & what were your experiences?
    I haven't, but from what I've read, the experiences can, it seems, be massively different - from the small, learning group where teaching and learning is at the top of the agenda, to the group where it seems that the 'students' are only there to pay for a photo-trip for the pro who generally goes off and does his/her own thing. So, choosing very wisely and carefully seems to be the 'rule'.

The 'challenge' for me of such a tour would be the fact that, for me, photography is a very isolationist (is there such a word?) activity. I'd love the opportunity that group travel would allow to get to some wonderful locations. But once there, I'd want to get away on my own, which I don't think is the ethos of the thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast