Thread: My new sports lens

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

My new sports lens

I was the first to place an order for the Sigma 150-600 in the UK, according to the Sigma rep who called into LCE, and it has arrived in today, collecting it tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing how it outperforms the 150-500

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My new sports lens

We'll be looking for an in-depth review, Jeremy, and, of course, lots of sample images.

Real Name
    Dan

Yes will be very interested in your appraisal of the lens. Post pics and insights soon!

Real Name
    Steve

Me three! Looking forward to seeing some real world images.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Have to sell my 150-500 to help pay for it so I have just listed that on ebay for £299

Real Name
    John

I am also very interested but really want to see a shoot-out between the Sigma and Tamron before I commit to buying one.

John

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The Sigma 150-600 S lens which is the one I am going for is vastly superior in all ways to the Tamron, in fact I have rerely seen a "shoot off" between Sigma and Tamron where Tamron are better

See a spec comparison here, though remember Sigma will be doing TWO types, a standard and a sports

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/09/sigm...s-differences/

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/09/sigm...ional-details/

BOTH of the Sigmas will be able to use the Sigma "dock"

Sigma has developed special software (SIGMA Optimization Pro) that can update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus. In addition, the lenses from our Sports line have customizable AF speed, focus limiter and OS function. The “Custom Mode Switch” is the device for further customization on the dedicated lenses.

The other one is

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/photoki...temporary.html

Dust-proof and splash-proof mount

As with the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM from the Sports line, the lens mount incorporates rubber sealing to protect the mount part from dust and water drops.

However the sports also has

Dust and splash-proof construction
    Water & oil repellent coating on the front and rear glass elements
    Last edited by JR1; 23rd October 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Real Name
    Kay

I too would be very interested, to see your results.
    I do a lot of sports work at the school where I work in sports admin after leaving the world of ultrasound/X-ray imaging.
    The canon 70-200 with x2 extender is great for most things on a 7D, but surfing is 1 area where low light is not the issue, so I don't need the 2.8-5.6 aperture, rather I just need to be closer to the action.
    The local hire place does not stock anything longer for me to try....but I am keen to hire 1 of these from Interstate if possible for a future event.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Picked up the new lens today.

Now I am NOT a writer so it will not be a review you will be used to, sorry.

Just looking at the box may give you some idea of just how HEAVY this lens is, it has handles.

My new sports lens

To describe the lens as large and heavy would be like describing the QE2 as a large boat, it is MASSIVE and HEAVY, it may not look like it next to the Siggy150-500 but believe me that tells you NOTHING, it is one massive lens.

150-600 on the left, old 150-500 on the right.

The staff in London Camera Exchange, Plymouth said, Sigma knew the box wouldn't fit any bags in shops so they gave it handles, believe me you need them.

My new sports lens

It is truly a great piece of kit.

It comes with a protective cover fro the front, the front of the hood is also rubber to help prevent damage

My new sports lens

Looking at the front also doesn't really show you a lot of difference but the front element is much larger on the new lens.

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

When it comes to images I will be shooting some later but not with both lenses as that is pointless, comparing one with the other outside of a lab.

The overall finish blows the 150-500 and 120-400 away, et exudes quality, BUT and this is a massive BUT.

I have five tripods, used indoors, out, on site etc when using two/three cameras say at a wedding for vid, two are Carbon, and one a light weight Manfrotto.

I have tried them all, and the MINIMUM I have found sturdy/safe for rigidity are my Manfrotto 055CF and Giottos MTL9271B.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 150-500 "just" took it (in my opinion) but allows too much vibration.

This lens needs a Gimbal, no question, would I use a Monopod, at a push, would I hand hold, well I am used to handheld, do it all the time, but believe me when I say the weight is exceedingly restrictive, it will hand hold, I am assuming that most people who get this lens at £1,600 will be either using it for work, or sports, or birding, where a support is a requirement, but if you dare to hand hold for any time, you will pay for it later when you need the paracetamol and whisky.

Is it a status symbol, come on, be honest, the majority of us like to have the best or to show what we have, tvs, cars, bikes, cameras, believe me I didn't even get out of LCE before three people wanted to try it, so, yep it ticks that box. IT DOES TURN HEADS.

New on the left

My new sports lens

Larger hood on the left

My new sports lens
    Last edited by JR1; 24th October 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Congratulations! Makes me want to buy one.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by HaseebM View Post
    Congratulations! Makes me want to buy one.
    Is it worth the money.

It depends.

I had the 120-400, then the 150-500, this is a real 100% significant an d great, no, outstanding lens, it oozes quality, if you need a reliable sports lens, able to focus at f8 WITH a 1.4 Sigma converter (awaiting delivery), a lens that can shrug off a shower, is exceedingly fast to focus then get one BUT it is expensive.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The first image shows where on the LEFT LCEs shop is, the two shots, first ones taken are of the shops on the opposite side

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

Photo info

My new sports lens

I know where it is, handheld this IS impressive
    Last edited by JR1; 24th October 2014 at 02:36 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations on your new lens. It looks and sounds great.

Regarding tripod and monopod use. Have you ever tried the Manfrotto 393 Heavy Telephoto Lens Support,

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-393-...93+gimbal+head

This is, IMO, one of the very best gimbal type mounts for tripod and/or monopod use. Although I use it with my 400mm f/5.6L and 300mm f/4L IS lenses, I have tested it once with the big Canon 500mm f/4L IS II. Unfortunately, that lens is too expensive for me to even dream about purchasing.

This lens is great for following action either tripod or monopod mounted. These boats were traveling at extremely high speeds straight across the lens fiels of view...

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

Unfortunately, Manfrotto has done a totally incompetent marketing job on this mount.

First: Manfrotto has changes the name of the unit several times

Second: Manfrotto persists in advertising the unit used in the awkward manner illustrated in the Amazon posting. That is IMO upside down and bass-awkward. Every phoptographer that I have ever known uses the gimbal in the manner shown on the website of Filipino Bird Photographer, Romy Ocon: http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/107368369 if you navigate around his website, you will see Romy using this mount with various large lens combinations.
    That is the way I use my mount also. BTW: the "U" shaped mount makes a great hand hold for using the mount on a monopod.

Third: The incompetent marketing people at manfrotto persist in stating that this unit CANNOT be used with a flash. That is simply not true. A quick and inexpensive addition made of flat aluminum stock can be added to the unit facilitation the mounting of a flash.
    My new sports lens

I would expect that some proper marketing would increase the sales of this gimbal as well as stimulate the appearance of Chinese knockoffs.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Congratulations on your new lens. It looks and sounds great.

Regarding tripod and monopod use. Have you ever tried the Manfrotto 393 Heavy Telephoto Lens Support,

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-393-...93+gimbal+head

This is, IMO, one of the very best gimbal type mounts for tripod and/or monopod use. Although I use it with my 400mm f/5.6L and 300mm f/4L IS lenses, I have tested it once with the big Canon 500mm f/4L IS II. Unfortunately, that lens is too expensive for me to even dream about purchasing.

This lens is great for following action either tripod or monopod mounted. These boats were traveling at extremely high speeds straight across the lens fiels of view...

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

Unfortunately, Manfrotto has done a totally incompetent marketing job on this mount.

First: Manfrotto has changes the name of the unit several times

Second: Manfrotto persists in advertising the unit used in the awkward manner illustrated in the Amazon posting. That is IMO upside down and bass-awkward. Every phoptographer that I have ever known uses the gimbal in the manner shown on the website of Filipino Bird Photographer, Romy Ocon: http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/107368369 if you navigate around his website, you will see Romy using this mount with various large lens combinations.
    That is the way I use my mount also. BTW: the "U" shaped mount makes a great hand hold for using the mount on a monopod.

Third: The incompetent marketing people at manfrotto persist in stating that this unit CANNOT be used with a flash. That is simply not true. A quick and inexpensive addition made of flat aluminum stock can be added to the unit facilitation the mounting of a flash.
    My new sports lens

I would expect that some proper marketing would increase the sales of this gimbal as well as stimulate the appearance of Chinese knockoffs.
    My CF Manfrotto and CF Benro Gimbal http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-b...ghkaao8p8p8haq are what I use daily, I use a Giottos as I said with Gimbal both can easily carry the load, they are in the photo, if I need maximum capacity and am out all day shooting powerboats I use a Manfrotto 475B

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/475-digit...-trripod-black

Which will take 12Kilo I use it with a CF Gimbal

I don't personally like the "U" shaped design of the Manfrotto unit as I find that with both sides being blocked by thge "U" design there are occasions when the lens switches are inaccessible, and it is easier to mount flash without resorting to accessories.

However, I do know forums where many people DO use this Manfrotto gimbaland love it
    Last edited by JR1; 24th October 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm not a pixel peeper so I'd rather see some images from out in the field. It's looking good so far.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by wtlwdwgn View Post
    I'm not a pixel peeper so I'd rather see some images from out in the field. It's looking good so far.
    Hope to avoid the blasted rain and do this tomorrow, however, to be honest it will prove nothing more than I can either take an ok or not ok photo.

As I said this is not the usual review, I could go out with any lens I have, take a photo and post it, that says nothing.

I am not a PP either, but simply posting a good shot of a swan, or car or, well, anything, is pointless unless you are in a lab, which is why I always cringe when photo mags such as Am Photo, NPhoto etc print images and cropped sections of an image, it is meaningless, because any decent photographer with a half decent camera less than 20 years old and a half decent lens can take a photo, print at A4 and compare it to twenty others taken in the same spot at the same time by other people and no one would know or see a difference.

The real point to me, is handling, build, response to focus, aids to use such as focus limiters, customisation (with the USB Dock) http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/acce...igma-usb-docks, reliability etc.

If I went out tomorrow, shot the same scene in the same lighting with the 120-400, 150-500 and 150-600 would anyone be able to see a difference, in reality, day to day,no.
    Last edited by JR1; 24th October 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

It appears that the only filter you can get for the large 105mm front is Sigmas own at £110

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

My new sports lens

The smaller one is from the 150-500mm Sigma

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Not taken with any serious effort, I just happened to be in the car park of the camera club tonight with the siggy and shot this, hand held
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tareq Alhamrani

I was interested in the Tamron 150-600, but now Sigma brought one with 2 versions, so i have to think again.

I want to see this lens for wildlife and birds, i have Canon 100-400 as my longest zoom [300 2.8IS as longest prime], and i want to see how this Sigma lens can do/perform for wildlife/birding, i might think to have one when i travel for Safari rather than save forever to get 500/600 for that purpose.