Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Grand Canyon

Real Name
    Chuck

The Grand Canyon

I just got off of a sixteen day float through the Grand Canyon. It was one of those trips of a lifetime. I will share some of the photos I took during the trip, and will tell you about my experience trying to photograph during the adventure.

I will begin by posting some shots of our rafts going through rapids. These were challenging shots to take. The sun was bright which washed out the light. Everything was happening very quickly so I had to focus constantly. I used shutter priority mode, 1/1250 sec. and 1000 ISO. The photos of Lava Falls were taken from high above into the sun. Hopefully, despite the lack of quality, I captured the moment. You be the judge. Hope you enjoy.

Lava Falls
    The Grand Canyon

Lava Falls
    The Grand Canyon

Lava Falls
    The Grand Canyon

Another Rapid
    The Grand Canyon

Another Rapid
    The Grand Canyon

I will post more about the Grand Canyon in a few days. Right now I am off the Yellowstone National Park for a four day shoot.

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Re: The Grand Canyon

Hi Chuck,

Just admiring your shots. OMG ... these rapids are the bomb!! I've kayaked much calmer stuff and couldn't even image coming out of this alive.

You have managed to capture the total power that water can have about as well as conditions like this will ever afford. Very well done.

My favorite is the last where you had the opportunity to capture the team head on and really get the scale of the rapids vs. the raft. The gentleman controlling the boat is my new hero ... he must have been amazing to watch!!

Wonderful job and I look forward to the follow on.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for sharing these, Chuck. Though you're correct that they won't win any awards, they do show what you and others have experienced going through the Grand Canyon. Well done especially considering your relatively limited photographic circumstances!

For the record, if things have not changed since 1988 when I took the same trip in a much larger raft, Chuck went through a particular waterfall that is considered to be the most powerful waterfall in the world that is also navigable by commercial outfitters.

Chuck: How many people were in your raft? Were you one of the paddlers? Did you train for this trip?

Real Name
    Matt

These photos definitely show the power of the river! Looks like fun

Real Name
    Binnur

What an adventure! Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Dan

Great that you took the opportunity to make that trip. Your shots do capture the action well. They should be a good accompaniment to the memories. Congrats.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good grief! That looks terrifying.

These images certainly convey the power and energy of the river.

Real Name
    John

Very nasty looking. Nice shots.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks to all. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Mike, the first three are of Lava Falls, the falls you referred to. Each raft had four passengers and an oarsman. We didn't paddle. We choose this approach so we could take in the scenery. Each day I was tired just form hanging on and shifting in the boat. On hot days we would dry out just in time for another soaking rapid.

All six rafts made it through Lava Falls safely. We camped on the next beach, Tequila Beach, and we got out the Tequila and celebrated.

For really interesting stuff about Lava Falls, see this.

When our guide took us through the Grand Canyon using a huge motorized raft, there was only one falls where he pulled the raft onshore and walked ahead to scout the water flow in the falls. That was Lava Falls. He explained after going through the falls that if the raft gets caught in the vortex, it can be taken downward and held beneath the water so long that people can drown before it tosses you back out.

Real Name
    Chuck

Mike, nice link. Check this out to see what happens when you don't do it right. Gives some idea of the power of the Big Kahuna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddi8uEb-IA

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Chuck...your shots are wet...wet...wet...wet!!! What can I say that hasn't been said before up there? I am enjoying your adventures...Yellowstone is such a beautiful place.

Yikes! That youtube video says it all.

Real Name
    Ole

I like it nice and easy. Great shots....from a distance. That would be me.
    Ole