Thread: The Bike Path

Real Name
    Nina Marie

The Bike Path

This bike path is a pleasant one to ride on. I spent many hours riding on this path this summer and often had my camera with me for photo opts. I love to shoot leading lines so decided to take this shot of my bike on the path and converted it to B&W. C&C's please, thank youThe Bike Path

Real Name
    John

Re: The Bike Path

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Greg

Good composition, Nina. It looks a little flat to me and I would like to see more contrast in the image, but that is just my personal taste.

Real Name
    David

Nice capture Nina, I'm with Greg and think a little more contrast would make it even better than it already is

David

Real Name
    Ole

I like it as it is. I think more contrast would not make it better, just a stronger image. Why do we always like images that are strong? Have I started something?

Ole

Real Name
    Dave

More contrast or structure was my first thought, but when I thought longer I think Nina Marie has it about right with the "realness" of the bike contrasting with the softness of the way ahead. Good idea to convert to B&W, too.

Nina Marie, it would be good if you could update your profile to show us whereabouts in world you are. I promise not to invade your peaceful path!

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This concept is well worth trying various compositions, such as moving in closer to the bike, shooting the path through the spikes, etc., etc.

Before reading any of the comments, I suspected that I would prefer a higher black point to emphasize the bike and slightly increased mid-tone contrast. I downloaded the image and made those changes. Doing so confirmed my preferences, so you might want to give them a try if you haven't already done that.

Did you convert to black-and-white using a color filter or did you desaturate the image?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ......... I suspected that I would prefer a higher black point to emphasize the bike and slightly increased mid-tone contrast....................
    I agree but what helps the composition as it stands is the fact that the road leads into a patch of light in the distance, taking the eye through the comp. Nice image.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the composition

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Hi Nina, I'm another that initially thought that a little more contrast would punch the photo, however, a second and third look changed my mind. I think there is plenty to hold attention and lead one down the path. Well done!!

Real Name
    Dan

Great composition. Nicely conceived and executed. From a technical standpoint I agree with prior comments that a bit more contrast might be beneficial. And maybe clone out the bright spot of sky at upper right. Overall a nice job.

Real Name
    Nina Marie

The Conversion was done with a color filter. Thanks for your suggestion Mike Buckley, I tried it and I like the results.