Thread: Views from the duck blind

Real Name
    Brian

Views from the duck blind

I have made it a personal project of mine to take as many shots from my perspective while out duck hunting. There is something special about being out in nature and sitting there watching the day break. A little contradicting, but there is a peaceful calm about breathing fresh, crisp autumn air, seeing the fall colors glowing and then catching fire as the sun comes up, all while waiting for the ducks to fly. This was from a trip yesterday to Eastern Oregon. First was taken about 7:20AM, next was 8AM and last was 9AM. I was not aware how much the color changes as the morning progresses until I loaded these on my computer last night. Very minimal PP.

7:20AM

8AM

9AM

Real Name
    John

Re: Views from the duck blind

Nice sequence.

Real Name
    Roger

Nice, it would of been interesting to see one at 12:00 when the sun is directly overhead and what they say is the worst time for photos due to light being too harsh.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCook View Post
    Nice, it would of been interesting to see one at 12:00 when the sun is directly overhead and what they say is the worst time for photos due to light being too harsh.
    It's true. We quit just after noon and I noticed the colors were somewhat washed out and very flat looking with no shadows.

Real Name
    Binnur

Lovely images Brian, I would crop half of the bushes in the foreground for a better look It is interesting to see how the colors change in a short time.

Real Name
    Brian

Binnur, if I cropped out those weeds, I would lose a lot of the other points of interest. I always use proportional crops since I don't really like the look of odd size images. Besides, I was sitting back in the weeds (trying to hide), which limited my view. I like the sun highlighting the green in the weeds in the 3rd image. It give the image more depth and pop, IMO. Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Brian if you really want to see a difference try shooting one every 5 minutes, do it for 30 minutes before sunrise and for 30 minutes after. You will be surprised at the difference that 5 minutes makes.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Allan. When I'm out duck hunting, taking pictures is usually not the top item on my priority list . I'm usually busy calling ducks into our decoys. This particular day, I had PLENTY of time to take photos since there was hardly any activity on the hunting side of things. I have sat in a blind on many mornings thinking "my view right now would make an awesome photo." I just decided to make it kind of a fun personal project this year to blend my two favorite activities and see what happens. This is the first time I've really noticed the color change even though I've witnessed it hundreds of times and didn't even know it. I hope everyone on this forum enjoys a perspective that not many people get to see from a hunter's POV. I'll post another shot I took last week in a little while for C&C. Thanks for the comment.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What a difference a few hours make, eh? Very nice sequence, Brian...how in the world can you keep yourself warm in winter?!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    What a difference a few hours make, eh? Very nice sequence, Brian...how in the world can you keep yourself warm in winter?!
    Izzie, some times, I can't keep myself warm in the winter. The key is layering your clothing. It's not difficult in the early season like right now. However, in Nov-Jan, it can be a challenge. My normal attire when the weather gets nasty, I wear long underwear (some times two layers), then a pair of jeans, two pair of thick socks, a mock turtle neck shirt. I then put on 5mm neoprene waders with 1000g insulated boots. My coat is usually thick camouflage, waterproof with a hood. And, gloves of course. Even then, sometimes if I stay out in the elements long enough, the cold seeps into even that much clothing. Most of the time, I have enough sense to call it a day either because I'm cold, the ducks aren't going to fly, or I've gotten my limit. And, notice I said MOST of the time. Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting set of shots. But if you think shooting ducks/geese with a shotgun is challenging, swap it for a long lens on your camera

Real Name
    Brian

Dan, I've experienced that too. At the end of the season, I swap my shotgun for a camera and find almost the same challenges in getting ducks in close enough to shoot. It also gives me a chance to watch how they act and sound in the wild.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I have seen some duckblinds on google that are high up the water...how high do you go in your structure? Do you have a dog to get your ducks?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I have seen some duckblinds on google that are high up the water...how high do you go in your structure? Do you have a dog to get your ducks?
    Izzie, the blinds I hunt out of are on the ground. Some, I have to make my own by gathering up corn stalks and building around my position, or I hide in weeds on a seat usually with my feet in the water. Most of the time we have a dog with us to fetch up our ducks. It is a great time to watch the dog work with it's owner using hand signals and a whistle. It is a well trained dog and full of energy. Makes me tired just watching her run around like that.

Real Name
    vaez

all image are interesting and agree with roger like your thought