Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What is photography?

What is photography?

Hi guys I am back with my weird question for all who are passionated with the photography.

Sorry for asking this type of silly question but I need to know what the actual mean of the word photography. Coz as the technology is reaching to normal peoples day to day with high speed cutting technologies.

All are now using the technology in photography.

That means all are easily taking photos with their own way of capturing scenes or portraits..Are they doing photography and what makes him unique way of taking a photo which is more likely to be watched...

All comments are welcome...

I just want to know that whoever handles the camera doesnt mean that they can take a photos with more creative way. Can every one be a good creative at this field easily. If so why we have to spend lot of time in schools of Photography paying bulk of money to the institutes who teach us about the photography. Cant we learn by our own. If so how can we learn by our own and what are the initial steps we need to take before we begin our Learning....

Real Name
    Isabelo

Re: What is photography?

im waiting for colins reply...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by belong View Post
    im waiting for colins reply...
    It's all a bit too "deep and meaningful" for me

Perhaps photography is a bit like driving a car ... some are good at it ... some are great at it ... some are not so good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by kranthi54321 View Post
    What is photography
    The art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD).

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    The art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD).
    Nah! we can do better than that.... Photography is just one of several methods of producing a visual representation of something/someone in the world for a specific purpose. So.... a commercially made shot of an attractive 30-something in his/her kitchen represents a happy home-maker and is used to sell food-mixers. A shot of your kids on the beach is produced by mom/dad on a compact to be viewed by mom/dad and bored friends (who don't have an excuse to leave), to show what great kids they have. And a shot produced by an 'enthusiastic amateur' (what a quaint phrase that is) of a fence-post with barbed wire on is cross-processed/turned infra-red/made b+w/distorted, and then made into an HDR , is posted on a photography forum where it vanishes down a b****y big hole called the 'digital abyss'!

Take up cross-stitch?

Last edited by carregwen; 15th April 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot the smilies

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    And a shot produced by an 'enthusiastic amateur' (what a quaint phrase that is) of a fence-post with barbed wire on is cross-processed/turned infra-red/made b+w/distorted, and then made into an HDR , is posted on a photography forum where it vanishes down a b****y big hole called the 'digital abyss'!
    And a person who engages in this art/science/practice that we call photography can never be accused of cynicism!!

Thanks Rob, that was my Thursday morning laughter break.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And a person who engages in this art/science/practice that we call photography can never be accused of cynicism!!

Thanks Rob, that was my Thursday morning laughter break.
    Enough of yer cheek, ye Kodak-snapping Scot. Yer willna ketch maeself posting such wee trashy baubles. I'll leave thet te them Sassenachs!

What is photography?

Real Name
    Espen

I need to know what the actual mean of the word photography. Coz as the technology is reaching to normal peoples day to day with high speed cutting technologies.
    I want to reply to this, as there are a few thoughts I have had on this lately.

Photography comes from old Greece photos, meaning light - and -graphy from graphein, representation by means of lines. All arts, in the meaning of 'a handicraft' are, in my muddled brain, expression of meaning within a framework of rules and opportunities. A language, whether it be writing, painting, making a statue, a horseshoe or taking a photo.

In all language, one must adhere to rules. These be due to the possibility that one seldom reaches anyone with new words not existing, but can readily build new words out of the combination or snipping of already existing ones. On must presuppose a horizon of expectation.

Communication cannot exist without both a message and an interpretation. It is the combination of halfknown arbitraries, context and style that are the bearers of meaning. Photography is difficult to place as a language. Photography has never been readily accepted as art, and even though one can say that taking a photo is representing reality, we all should be aware that a photo is not reality itself, but a representation. c'est n'est pas une pipe.

Cultural upbringing will make me see a photo different than anyone else, but I at least will be liable to interprete perspective and the 2D medium in accordance to me being used to read perspective and take 2D as representative of a 3D world. Not withstanding string theory...

As technology steadily erases the distinction between what is possible and not - the discussion of what constitutes art, representation and creative license becomes postmodern. Digital photography is on its way through the modernist process where megapixels and technical sophistication is starting to mean less than the ends towards this technology is put. And it does not necessarily have a fixed end or meaning at all.

Back to earth. I know with myself that I am more fond of photos that bring out something recognizable rather than postprocessed fiction not connectable to anything I have seen or can see. I love forms, colours/contrast and abstraction, and I sincerely mean that taking a photo should strive not to replicate reality. On the other hand, I adhere to this belief: If taking picture of a stone, one must bring out the stoniness. So, I am postmodern in this view: you take pictures of what you see, and I can either see you as weird, the photo as novel or not bring any meaning into it whatsoever.

So, in short. I love pictures that takes known means and put them into novel uses. Not everyone can be a Shakespeare, but we can all - and should all - attempt to draw the world as we see it for others to see. You just don't hit me as hard when the postprocessing is more visible than the content. By all means, bring me a grainy b/w photo - it does not matter if it is made digital. But the grainyness better not distract me.

It is a chance you take, whether your style will hit me or not. You should not think of it, but simply make your best representing what you see.

And no, I have not smoked funny tobacco as I write this.
    Last edited by nanook; 15th April 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correction of blatant fertilizer

Real Name
    Steve

Photography is a lot of different things from forensic science to family snaps taken on holiday. The professional can see what people like and it is nice to be appreciated especially when you get money for it.
    I get most fun out of doing things I can't do yet, occasionally I do an image others like but I wasn't thinking of that but more of how to overcome difficulties in taking and processing the image to a competent level.
    In fact if it was easy I wouldn't even do it. Not a very good answer I don't suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Photography is a lot of different things from forensic science to family snaps taken on holiday. The professional can see what people like and it is nice to be appreciated especially when you get money for it.
    I get most fun out of doing things I can't do yet, occasionally I do an image others like but I wasn't thinking of that but more of how to overcome difficulties in taking and processing the image to a competent level.
    In fact if it was easy I wouldn't even do it.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Not a very good answer I don't suppose.

Actually, I think it's a very good answer, and it's something that has been bugging me for some time. As you said, if you are a professional tog you make money and people say they (mostly) like your stuff. But you have to shoot who/what the customer wants, which seriously reduces your artistic creativity. If you do photography because you enjoy the technical and artistic process/challenge, then that can be very satisfying, but you do lack the recognition and £££s.

I was watching a movie the other night, and the female painter character was asked by a friend "Do you want me to get an exhibition put on for you in London - I know someone good?". She replied "Oh, no, absolutely not. These are done just for me. I wouldn't dream of making money from them." I wish I could be like that - I'm not quite there yet.

All are now using the technology in photography.

That means all are easily taking photos with their own way of capturing scenes or portraits..Are they doing photography
    In the broader sence YES

Quality wise they may be differences

Photography for Fun and entertainment

Small child taking photograph with modern cameras in which he just has to click and gets good acceptable result....He does not know what to photograph and how to photograph. This is also Photography...

Persons with little experiance, who knows what to photograph, and how to phograph takes photography seriously and takes good, sometimes extra ordinary, memorable
    photograph...This is also photography

and what makes him unique way of taking a photo which is more likely to be watched...

All comments are welcome...

SERIOUS PHOTOGRAPHY

And there are Professional Photographers,( There are many category in Professional Photography ) who do all their photography seriously and Professionally .. This is also Photography

For MORE INFORMATION AND DEFINATION OF PHOTOGRAPHY

Real Name
    Myra

Aren't there just different levels of being involved with photography like everything else? You can skate on the pond, train for power skating or figure skating... ride a trail, learn to jump courses or school for dressage...point and shoot, learn and practice some techniques, make it a life long passion of constant learning and discovery.... Just about everyone can do just about everything to some degree or another. That probably even applies to rocket science.

Thanks for all your comments for my weired question....All are most valuable and they are answered in there own view of seeing what the photography is....

THANK YOU ALL...

Real Name
    Ali

Photography is what makes you hate your yesterday's pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by alis View Post
    photography is what makes you hate your yesterday's pictures...

W h y..?

Who Says so..

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Photography is what makes you hate your yesterday's pictures...
    Hi Ali,

Is that because you feel the photos you take today are better than those you took yesterday (due to your constant improvement)?