Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M1

Real Name
    steve

Olympus OM-D E-M1

Anyone got one ?

If you have, what are your thoughts on it's pluses / minuses please.

TIA

steve

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1

Quote Originally Posted by dabhand View Post
    Anyone got one ?

If you have, what are your thoughts on it's pluses / minuses please.

TIA

steve
    To what end

Real Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    To what end
    I'm contemplating buying one and would like some real world feedback.

steve

Real Name
    J stands for John

But how do you know that anybody giving you an opinion does the sort of photography that you do and if their opinions based on their level of skill deserve recognition?
    I went by dpreview and bought a delightful camera since I wasn't worried by their negative points as they didn't really affect my kind of shooting. While I am sure dpreview have their bias's they can and do use numerous models over the years.

Real Name
    Venser

I just went all in on Olympus. Sold my Nikon D700, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 105mm f2.8, plus many other lenses for the Olympus E-M1.

I owned the E-M5 while I owned the D700. What spurred the decision to drop full frame and hit up the m43 world was printing some images at 18x24 and not being able to tell which camera shot the image.

If you have specific questions, fire them along.

Real Name
    steve

Thanks Chris - just looking for general impressions and your point on printing provides the kind of practical feedback I find helpful, but one slightly more 'specific general' question comes to mind - how do you find the positioning of the controls - one of my cameras is the Panasonic G6 and the 'display' control button is right next to where my right thumb grips the body - which occassionally causes issues.

steve

Real Name
    Venser

The location of the on/off switch is terrible. The EM-5 has it so you can flick the camera on/off using the right hand alone. This is not possible on the E-M1.

One thing that does take getting used to is there's a lever on the rear right hand side of the camera which positions to 1-2. This swaps what the thumb and finger dials do. Ex: In A mode you can set the dials in position 1 to be aperture and exposure compensation, in position 2 to be bracketing and ISO. You have complete freedom over the settings. Once you familiarize yourself with the controls, it's really fast to switch things around. This I really like.

I keep an Arca Swiss plate on the bottom at all times, because I couldn't be bothered taking it on and off, but the camera with most lenses can't rest properly. It always tips over.

It's not as fast as the Fuji X100s, but I have used the 1/320 sync curtain which is faster than the 1/250 from most DSLRs.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

steve
    Sauce for the goose isn't always sauce for the gander

You still don't say what you want it for.

Personally I have always said I have yet to see a PRO using anything other than NikCan

There are more "newer" Fuji, Olympus, Sigma cameras on the second hand market than NikCan, this to me says a lot, eg, bought one wish I had bought a CanNik

Real Name
    steve

Sauce for the goose isn't always sauce for the gander

You still don't say what you want it for.

Personally I have always said I have yet to see a PRO using anything other than NikCan

There are more "newer" Fuji, Olympus, Sigma cameras on the second hand market than NikCan, this to me says a lot, eg, bought one wish I had bought a CanNik
    You are quite entitled to your opinions but as you obviously haven't got an Olympus I don't see how your input will help my general inquiry regarding the particular camera.

Obviously I can, and have, read up in the mags all the stuff as it relates to my technical requirements, all I'm looking for is the stuff you don't see in the mags - such as Chris has been kind enough to provide.

As to your assertion that pro's only use NikCan - it's patently not true as evidenced by Trey Ratcliff and others - but please don't continue down your rathole as it is not adding any value to my original posting.

steve

Real Name
    Venser

Personally I have always said I have yet to see a PRO using anything other than NikCank
    Here's one, Thomas Leuthard.
    I don't understand the point of your statement. We both know how to use search engines and you can find many examples of people solely using m43s for professional purposes.