Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Question about NEF files

Question about NEF files

I have been shooting in NEF(RAW) w/ my Nikon D5000 but when I try to open the file in photoshop it won't open it because it says that it is not the right kind of document. Anyone know why this is?
    Everywhere I read says to shoot in RAW but because Nikon apparently refers to it as a nef file it seems to be causing probs.
    Thanks for any help you can provide!

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Question about NEF files

Go to the Adobe website and download the free ACR plugin for your version. Pay attention to which version of ACR you get, to ensure it works with your version of PhotoShop. While you are there, make note of the proper way to install and follow those directions.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Pops' advice is good.

I had to do this and discovered that Adobe support the D5000 in LightRoom 2, LR3, Photoshop CS3, CS4, CS5, and Photoshop Elements 6, 7, 8. This all via the ACR 5.4 download (or later; e.g. ACR 5.5, for more recent releases).

If you have an earlier version than any of those, try 5.4, it might work - but be sure to precisely follow those instructions Pop mentioned, as that will give you a 'back out' path if it doesn't work.

If you cannot achieve it successfully, come back for more advice.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Pops

I want to reiterate the advice to follow the installation instructions carefully. If you don't and the version of ACR you install doesn't work, you will have to completely uninstall PS and reinstall from the CD.

Basically, you copy the existing plugin from the plugin folder into a backup spot on your drive and move the new one into the plugin folder. Easy, but important.

Pops

Thanks! I will try this and hopefully I don't screw it up!