Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photo Book Inquiry

Real Name
    Terry

Photo Book Inquiry

Hey guys!

I’m thinking I might have to do a photo book. Especially since I’m being told I am!

I searched the Forum but what I found is several years old and I know there are a lot more choices now. I have dealt with Bay Photo and locally Black River Imaging does great work. The rest I have no idea.

I don’t use Lightroom so that option is out. I will have fully processed photos ready to go.

Would any of you all be so kind as to share your experience with this or make any recommendations?

It would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Photo Book Inquiry

Blurb's BookSmart software is relatively easy to learn. Their digital print-on-demand photo books using photo-quality paper are a good value, meaning the quality relative to cost works for me. I've had a sample (trial) book and two books printed and the quality was reasonably consistent not just between each book but also between multiple copies of the books. I had to make multiple copies because even my friends like them if they don't have to pay for them.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hi Terry:

I have used Apple's IPhoto application (also in Aperture 3) to create several photo books. I also have a book created by Shutterfly, but there is no comparison. Apple wins hands down. Apple's books are really quite amazing. Really, I'm not an Apple "fan girl", but I do know what I like. The quality of the Apple books is excellent. The paper is nice and thick and the colours of the original photo files are true.

Moreover, there are countless layouts available and the editing features are quite sophisticated. For instance, you can use a template that has a background of a mountain range and then adjust the opacity so that the background graphic is subtle and faint. I live in Canada, in a rural area, and any book I have ordered has arrived in less than a week by courier.

I have found that these photo books have been the best way to archive my favourite images. Now I never fret over the potential loss of electronic data. I know it sounds rather silly, but I did wonder how my future descendants would handle my photos. Years from now, no one will be using DVD drives, or flash drives, and the technology of the future would likely be unrecognizable to us. Sometimes, going "old school" is the best method. I keep a flash drive with the applicable book and store them away. I figure when I have finally kicked the bucket, that none of my grandchildren would actually dare to toss away a photo book.

Had very good results with http://www.mixbook.com/. Their online design tool was very intuitive and flexible.

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you everyone.

I'll have a look-see at these before I make any finals.

I had no idea these could get so expensive. No idea why I might be surprised though!

If you're not under the pressure of a deadline, you can get the book ready and wait for a sale. Expect sales of at least 20% off, sometimes more.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Terry,

What I found to be the best way of going about it is to decide where you will have the photo book printed.
    The printing lab will have photo book specific software they use and this is usually free of charge from the lab.

You compile the book yourself, save it to a MS or E-mail it to the lab. Easy!

Real Name
    Terry

Thanks Mike, Andre.

What I am finding is the pricing!

Yikes!

Consider that prior to the days of digital technologies the pricing would have been far more expensive. Also consider the price of the artificial ice that you bought; the cost of a book is small compared to those cubes of ice.

Also consider that your photography is so good that even if the cost of the book would be really expensive (which is not the case), your photography deserves being showcased.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th October 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I recently attended a presentation of Adoramapix Photo Books. IMO, these books are quite exceptional as is the Adorama software allowing you to build the book. The software allows many choices that can make the book look professional.

Many books require JPEG's for the images included in the books. Adoramapix will accept large size TIFFs and others and you can customize the images using your own profiles if desired...

There is a Groupon discount available:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/adorama..._source=google

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

This is what/Who I use for my work including weddings

Hewlett Packard

http://www.hp.com/global/uk/en/consu...creations.html

Real Name
    Terry

Continued thanks guys.

The search continues!

Real Name
    Dan

Richard,

Thanks. I have read great things about Adoramapix and had been planning on trying them. Your post pushed me finally to do it. The groupons are a very good deal. I bought two.

Dan

Real Name
    Dennis Soans

Check out artisanstate.com. They have several options - the most affordable at $20.00 is the Photo Book. Printing is done in Hong Kong and arrives in about 6 days. You can create the design/layout yourself directly online. I have ordered several for my friends and family with portraits that I personally shot. People love it.

Real Name
    Kay

my votes go to artisan state & apple, top quality & what you see on your apple screen is what you get!
    they are expensive, but if you printed each image seperately, that would be as well.
    i do mine when I travel somehwere or for special events.
    my Dad turned 80, so I made a book with some scans of old photos, some photos from the party & some landscape new ones of the areas where they live. Itcost $100Au though apple, but I then gave it to him for Father's Day, he loves it & previously the old photos sat in an album ever looked at.
    so i say do it, but for special photos, or occaisions & you wont be disapointed.