Thread: Battery grip?

Real Name
    John

Battery grip?

Hi all,

I would like to pick your brains please.
    I am looking for a battery grip for my D7100, but can't afford the Nikon offering (hugely expensive). Have any of you used, or do you own a third party grip that you would recommend? I have seen so many ranging in price from £30-£100 but some seem to be better than others, despite the fact they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory.
    All help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Battery grip?

After having my bad experience with a third-party battery grip for my D7000, I would do without one if I couldn't justify the expense of the Nikon grip. The cost of repairing my camera body to fix problems caused by the third-party grip was greater than the cost of the Nikon grip.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    After having my bad experience with a third-party battery grip for my D7000, I would do without one if I couldn't justify the expense of the Nikon grip. The cost of repairing my camera body to fix problems caused by the third-party grip was greater than the cost of the Nikon grip.
    +1

Stick with the brand… you may hope for a guaranty! I would not compromise
    my gear with third party stuff… ever.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

I had a Meike brand grip for my D300. Worked fine and had no issues. I have heard however a rumor that some Nikon firmware updates on certain models have rendered some third party accessories useless but I have no actual experience of this. My guess is that a Meike grip for your D7100 would be fine. Maybe get it from Amazon if they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndukes View Post
    My guess is that a Meike grip for your D7100 would be fine.
    The grip that damaged my camera body was a Meike grip.

Even so, I don't think that's the issue. Very few people report issues with third-party grips. If the concern is to save money, the OP should be aware that using a third-party grip may cost much more money than buying a Nikon grip, much less going without a grip. So, it's a bit of a gamble to buy a third-party grip in that most people don't experience problems but some people do.

A grip is a luxury, not a necessity. So, why risk ruining a camera body by using a third-party grip?

Real Name
    John

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Mike, at times it is a necessity to me, both on battery life (without the need to change batteries) and particularly when shooting portraits. It's so much more comfortable for me to have the shutter release at my finger without the 'twist' in my wrist.

Thanks again all.

Real Name
    Richard

I can see the reason you might want a battery grip... However, there have been issues with 3rd party battery grips damaging cameras. If I could afford (or be willing to pay for) an OEM grip; then I would get one. On the other hand, if I couldn't (wouldn't) spend the money for the OEM grip' I would do without a grip...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I have ALWAYS used NON Nikon/Canon grips and NON Canon batteries for over 18 years and never to this day have I ever had a problem, think about it, Quality companies such as hahnel would go bust if they sold inferior goods, and you don't really think Can/Nik make their own.............. do you !

I find it hard to use a camera without a battery grip, how can people, when moving to portrait mode to shoot and having to reach over to find the shutter release, the convenience of the additional battery for shooting time, even to the basic of dumping the camera on the floor and not damaging the actual camera just a cheaper replaceable battery grip

Here is MY D7100 with BEKE battery grip from Amazon and D700 with Hahnel grip. The ONLY camera that has a Nikon grip is my 810 as it came with one and my D4s which does not need an external grip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR1; 14th October 2014 at 09:08 AM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    However, there have been issues with 3rd party battery grips damaging cameras. ..

Please quote and or point to one in the press NOT just a comment from people forums, I would like to see PRESS, "photographic press" or facts showing problems associated worth external grips.

I have used NON Canon batteries since my EOS10D, never had a problem, my latest Panasonic video camera has NON Panasonic batteries, it is like people saying "I only use cannik lenses as Sin/tam are rubbish..................
    Last edited by JR1; 14th October 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Jeremy

In response to your, in my opinion, quite unnecessarily aggressive tone, I would point out that Richard was referring, as the thread does, to battery grips NOT batteries.

I use 3rd party batteries in my Canon battery grip. However, I would never buy a 3rd party battery grip.

I'm not sure why you would rely on press articles over the hands-on experience of experienced photographers on this forum. 'People forums' such a CiC are, I suggest, and excellent source of information, whereas I cannot always say the same for press articles.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Please quote and or point to one in the press NOT just a comment from people forums, I would like to see PRESS, "photographic press" or facts showing problems associated worth external grips.

I have used NON Canon batteries since my EOS10D, never had a problem, my latest Panasonic video camera has NON Panasonic batteries, it is like people saying "I only use cannik lenses as Sin/tam are rubbish..................
    Last edited by Donald; 14th October 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Jeremy

In response to your, in my opinion, quite unnecessarily aggressive tone, I would point out that Richard was referring, as the thread does, to battery grips NOT batteries.

I use 3rd party batteries in my Canon battery grip. However, I would never buy a 3rd party battery grip.

I'm not sure why you would rely on press articles over the hands-on experience of experienced photographers on this forum. 'People forums' such a CiC are, I suggest, and excellent source of information, whereas I cannot always say the same for press articles.
    First of all my UN RESERVED apology if that is how it came across, it was NOT intended as such.

There is a difference between the way something is "perceived" and the actual reality, none of us speak, write or communicate in the same way, some, like me have dyslexia and rely on years of experience and spell checkers.

I have had people tell me I sound aggressive on the phone on occasions, I can no more help my voice than I can my dyslexia, and find their comments abusive about how I talk, just as I would not comment on regional accents or foreign ones.

As I say I happily apologize but please remember we are not perhaps all as "elequent" as you or others.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    That strikes me much the same as thinking that press coverage of a hotel is more important than reviews by people who stayed there. That's particularly ironic to me considering that the press is so often covering a hotel that is paying for advertising displayed by the press.

It doesn't matter to me whether someone takes into account my bad experience of using a third-party grip. It does matter to me that when asked in this thread about recommending them, I explained why I cannot do that in good conscience.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th October 2014 at 01:02 PM.

Real Name
    Denny

Not a D7100 but I do have an aftermarket Chinese grip on a D5300 and it works fine. The non-Nikon batteries that came also work fine as long as I put the grip on the camera and then insert the batteries. I don't take it on and off or anything. Nikon doesn't make one for the D5300 so this one has only basic controls, requires a small cable for the trigger button and was my only choice. With video and GPS these newer cameras need a lot of battery power.
    I have one on a D80 and that one is a direct copy of the Nikon unit and also works very well with no problems.