Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: settings wrong.

Real Name
    Mark Jass

settings wrong.

I make and cure all my own sausages, ham, bacon etc. I keep a photographic record of my new projects. I have got the settings very wrong on this set of pictures. Here is a sample. What can I do to correct the white balance?

settings wrong.

Real Name
    John

Re: settings wrong.

Start here, then check your manual for adjustment settings.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...te-balance.htm

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by markjass View Post
    I What can I do to correct the white balance?
    Hi Mark,

This may be achieve in three different ways.
    1— Set WB in the camera: works well but at times unreliable.
    2— If there is a reference white in your scene, select the picker of the WB tool
    in your PP software and sample the wanted area: works very well and is tweak able.
    3— The ultimate and most reliable approach is the grey card like the Colour Checker
    or a simple piece of white paper.

Real Name
    Dave

And whatever else, shoot in RAW. Then you can do whatever you like with white balance in your computer.

Dave

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    And whatever else, shoot in RAW. Then you can do whatever you like with white balance in your computer. Dave
    …darn, I knew I forgot something! Thanks Dave ;-)

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    And whatever else, shoot in RAW. Then you can do whatever you like with white balance in your computer.

Dave
    I definitely agree with davideric regarding RAW. I always shoot RAW and will normally select "auto white balance" and then adjust my white balance in post processing; using a white balance target (I use a Whitebal Card http://www.whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/WhiBal/01/ ) but, like Kodiak mentions, even a white piece of paper will work. In fact I often use the white coats of my Maltese dogs as my white balance target!

However, only more sophisticated cameras (usually DSLR or Bridge cameras) are capable of RAW capture. If you are shooting with a camera, such as the average P&S, which will only capture JPEG images; read your manual to see how to adjust your white balance capture.

Usually cameras have white balance JPEG settings for daylight, shade, tungsten, fluorescent and several other choices. Picking the choice to coincide as closely as possible with the light illuminating the image will get you into the ballpark on color balance. It is however, necessary to make the choice and enter it into the camera prior to shooting the image. The advantage of shooting RAW is that you don't need to worry about white balance when shooting. You can take care of that matter very easily in post processing...

If you are shooting with a fairly sophisticated camera, it is also possible to set a "Custom White Balance" (at least this is the terminology that Canon applies to this technique - other manufacturers may give it a different name but, I suspect that every DSLR or bridge camera has similar capability) but, I will not get into the mechanics of doing this. Actually, I seldom use this technique because I have been quite successful in using my WhiBal card and setting the white balance in post processing...

If you would tell us what type of light source was illuminating the ham and what camera you were using, we might be able to help you a bit more...

BTW: You could partially save the image with a black and white conversion...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th October 2014 at 03:01 PM.

Real Name
    John

I believe Mark is shooting with the Canon A80 which only saves in jpeg format.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I believe Mark is shooting with the Canon A80 which only saves in jpeg format.
    John, according to ExifTool, it was a Canon PowerShot G16 which can shoot RAW.

The WB was set to Daylight. Shot was pretty easy to fix with PS Elements color cast tool assuming the cutting board to be a neutral color:

settings wrong.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I emailed the poster earlier with this

settings wrong.

far from perfect took a few seconds though

Real Name

…well, you tried Jeremy! I wouldn't want to eat that!
    Last edited by Kodiak; 10th October 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I do not shoot RAW and I do not get results like that Though I find AWB can lead me astray at the low K's if I let it.
    A similar thread recently had Bill [ W W ] showing how he corrected a WB error.

Real Name
    Richard

John mentioned, "I do not shoot RAW and I do not get results like that"

I certainly never meant that the OP photo is the result of shooting in JPEG, it is the result of shooting in JPEG INCORRECTLY.

When shooting JPEGs correctly, you will not get results like the OP... However, with JPEGs, AWB can sometimes be deceiving and sometimes humans forget to adjust the white balance from one venue to another...

The point is that you cannot shoot RAW at an incorrect color balance since, when shooting RAW, all color balance is achieved in post processing rather than in capture.

I personally consider it easier to arrive at a final image when I have shot the original in RAW.

I have one camera (a relatively cheap FUJI XP60 Underwater Camera) that can only capture in JPEG. It also only has a LCD screen as its viewfinder. However, I can live with those shortcomings because for my fishing adventures I needed a totally waterproof (not weather resistant) camera and I got the Fuji at a good price.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The simplest thing to do is to set your Camera to Auto WB or set the WB manually to be correct for the lighting used. At a guess your camera was set to flash, daylight or cloudy and you were photographing with incandescent/tungsten lighting.

The EXIF data indicates WB was on a manual setting of (1) and I am not sure what that is for a Canon PowerShot G16.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    The simplest thing to do is to set your Camera to Auto WB or set the WB manually to be correct for the lighting used. At a guess your camera was set to flash, daylight or cloudy and you were photographing with incandescent/tungsten lighting.

The EXIF data indicates WB was on a manual setting of (1) and I am not sure what that is for a Canon PowerShot G16.
    You appear not to have access to the 'MAKER' meta-data. In there, it says "WhiteBalance Daylight" - so that was a good guess on your part. I use ExifToolGUI which can show all the file meta-data, not just the EXIF (it also can show MAKER, IPTC, XMP and more).
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 11th October 2014 at 02:05 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Jass

Thanks for your help. I had switched of the raw setting. Lesson learned. Was able to use photoshop elements 12 (bought last week). My computer will not run lightshop. Next week I start an evening course on how to use photoshop. I know the programs are miles apart, but hopefully they share one or two things.

settings wrong.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by markjass View Post
    Thanks for your help. I had switched of the raw setting. Lesson learned. Was able to use photoshop elements 12 (bought last week). My computer will not run lightshop. Next week I start an evening course on how to use photoshop. I know the programs are miles apart, but hopefully they share one or two things.
    You may find this useful:

https://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

Think twice before even opening the Organizer. Some versions back, it slowed my Elements (8?) down so badly that I deleted it from my computer and re-loaded Elements 6 from a CD I had.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

I am a vegetarian, for me this image looks double disgusting: a lump of raw meat, and then this poisonous color!

Take your picture in daylight, for heaven's sake! As Basil Fawlty once said, that's not a proposition from Wittgenstein!

Lukas

Real Name
    Mark Jass

And here I was thing that this sight would be troll free.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

For what it's worth, I sign with my real name, I try to keep my mails constructive, and I even gave an advice to you, albeit, I admit, in a somewhat dismissive manner. While I was perhaps not very polite, I was not insulting either. This is, as far as I can see, within the scope of normal conversation.

Lukas

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Lukas I can only assume Mark was trying to make a light-hearted comment and meant no offence. We all have to be careful when making comments on a forum with such a diverse range of members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast