Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera cleaning kit?

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Camera cleaning kit?

I've got some dust SOMEWHERE in my viewfinder/mirror of my camera and it's really starting to bug the everloving stuffing out of me. It does not seem to be showing on my pictures, but it is so distracting that I find myself focusing on it when I shouldn't be.

Does anyone have suggestions for a cleaning kit? Are they all pretty much good, or is any one brand better than another?

Real Name
    John

Re: Camera cleaning kit?

This thread has various methods.

Vacuum Lens Sensor Cleaner

Real Name
    Roy

The following applies to SLRs, either digital or film. If you can see the dust in the viewfinder it is not on the sensor. It might be on the mirror or the focussing screen. The reflective coating of the mirror is on the front surface and is very, very easily scratched. Safest to clean only with a blower. The surface of the focussing scree above the mirror is more robust, and can be cleaned with a brush or blower. If the dust is within the penta-mirror housing, you won't be able to get at it, because that should be a sealed unit, and will require the attention of a repair shop.

Roy

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    This thread has various methods.

Vacuum Lens Sensor Cleaner
    That thread discusses cleaning the sensor, not the viewfinder or mirror. The OP is asking about cleaning the viewfinder or mirror.

Real Name
    John

As said the mirror is very delicate, so agree use a blower only. The screen can be brushed, I get a little torch and shine it up and give it a gentle wipe and check again. If its still there but moved, you know your in the right place.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    That thread discusses cleaning the sensor, not the viewfinder or mirror. The OP is asking about cleaning the viewfinder or mirror.
    There were links within the thread for cleaning mirrors as well, also some of the sensor cleaning devices could be used for a mirror.