Thread: Lightroom vs. Elements

Real Name
    Carol

Lightroom vs. Elements

What advantages does Lightroom have over Elements? Is it worth the cost to add to Elements?

Thanks!

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Lightroom vs. Elements

Stand by for a fair few replies

I am a Lightroom user and also have Elements, but rarely have the need to use Elements. However, that is down to the kind of photography and pp I do.

I would say that if you have Elements and are comfortable with it, and if you are on top of the organisation and managing your images, then I would say that adding and learning Lightroom will add little.

On the other hand, if someone were starting out with neither I would suggest getting Lightroom because I find the interface easier and more intuitive and nowadays there is a lot of depth to the program if you want to go there.

In which case, the obvious route would be to sign up to CC and get both Lightroom and full Photoshop. That way you can move into Photoshop as and when you need to, and the two packages do play quite nicely together.

Dave

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Lightroom 5 is pretty powerful in terms of adjusting various parameters of an image and is simple to use. Its also non-destructive though even PSE can be used non-destructively. PSE on the other hand has 'Layers' to do editing and a bit of other presets like picture frames, blue skies, brush etc., In terms of sheer processing of an image, I find LR5 to be powerful and fast if it makes sense. In fact I have PSE 9 but hardly use it after installing LR5.

Real Name
    Ben

For me, there are two major differences.

The first is that Lightroom is a 16 bit editor and Elements is an 8 bit editor. Not a major big deal unless you do heavy editing, especially on photos with subtle gradients and shades.

The second is that Lightroom has a much better library function (in Elements it is called the Organizer). In Lightroom there is essentially no upper limit to the number of photos you can have in your library. And there does not appear to be any decrease in speed as the number of photos increases. In Elements the speed goes down as the number of photos goes up. At over 25,000 photos it was beginning to behave erratically (I was using a 32 bit computer at that time).

You can download both programs for a 30 day free trial and find out yourself.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    What advantages does Lightroom have over Elements? Is it worth the cost to add to Elements?

Thanks!
    LR5 had one function that made me consider adding it to Elements, LR5 offered a camera tethering function. I downloaded the trial version, gave it a spin, and liked the capability but was made aware that the tethering functions were limited compared to other software. There are always added features for upgraded versions, so best to do a side by side comparison on each LR version and then compare to Elements.

Real Name
    John

I have LR5 and Elements and now use LR for all of my RAW processing as I find it so much more intuitive to get those little detail adjustments. I loath the file handling of LR though, but agree this is a strong point of it. For batch processing, LR is just so good too.
    If you are comfortable with layers, and selections, then Elements may be fine, but for me I do most with LR and maybe a few tweeks in Elements (But I am not good with layers)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

As Dave mentioned, you'll get a lot of responses to your query. He didn't mention that you probably won't see a better summary response than his post.

Real Name
    Dan

I used Elements for years until a few months ago. Which you choose all depends on your needs.

LR is a 16-bit editor(less chance of artifacts in skies, etc.) and has a far superior cataloging function. But no layers.

You can do 16-bit editing in ACR directly from within Elements then convert to 8-bit for final edits. If you don't need the cataloging function and don't typically have issues with artifacts/posterization, then ACR and Elements is probably a better choice.

Real Name
    Kevin

I started off with Elements up to PSE 10, then added Lightroom, and was doing about 90% of my editing in LR, flipping about 10% of my images into PSE for cloning and fixing.

About a year ago I subscribed to Adobe CC, which includes the full version of Photoshop, and moves images seamlessly between LR and all Adobe editing programs. CC is cheap, and is a certain way of keeping abreast of all subsequent upgrades in LR and Photoshop. In fact, Photoshop CC includes some tools not (or not yet) available buying the program individually.

I would not consider the decision between LR and Photoshop to be an either/or option. They are two different tools, and I would not want to be without either.
    Last edited by kdoc856; 1st October 2014 at 01:08 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Microwave vs Oven

You can probably get by with either one but if you want to grill you need the oven and if you want to make a sauce you will get more control with a microwave. In cooking they supplement each other.

It is not a VS situation.

The same goes for Lightroom and an editor supporting layers. They can do many things in common but for some specific tasks one is much superior to the other and in some cases the only tool you can use.

Real Name
    David

I think the image organization tools offered by Lightroom would be reason enough to get that program. $10 a month with Photoshop CC if you want to go that route.

Either way trial versions are your friends to see what you'd like more.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    It is not a VS situation.
    +1 to this.

Lightroom is primarily an excellent RAW processor which also has very strong digital asset management features (plus several other functions).

Elements is a weak RAW processor but has a much stronger image Editor that Lightroom.

The two don't really compete, they complement.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not a fan of Light room, but do use it occasionally. It is a very basic editor and is fine for images that do not require any significant editing. If the image needs major surgery, then Elements is a far more capable program. Lightroom is a parametric editor. This means edits have to be described as parameters of equations, and this means that the edit has to be capable of being described mathematically. If this can't be done, Lightroom can't do the edit.
    Elements, on the other hand is a pixel based editor, which means the colour values of pixels are individually altered. Nicely said, anything goes.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I think it is all about your workflow. I use Elements 12 and have grown quite comfortable editing images from ACR to my plug-ins (Nik, Topaz, Perfect Effects 8) to the regular editing platform. Almost all my editing is done on the 16 bit level. Perfect Effects 8, filter effects, and a few other features I use at times require converting to 8 bits. I did a free trial of Lightroom a few months ago and found the platform more versatile and precise but unwieldy, time-consuming, and just plain awkward. Switching might have had a positive impact on my images but I was not willing to adjust my workflow and invest the time needed to do that. I am too satisfied with Elements to make the required changes. That is not saying anything against Lightroom. I keep trying other software packages, too, and keep rejecting them.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post

Thanks!
    Is Nikon better than Canon, is a Ford better than a Renault

This is why no one uses the same program !!!!!!

Real Name
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    I loath the file handling of LR though, but agree this is a strong point of it. For batch processing, LR is just so good too.
    SOOOO glad to hear the file handling of LR irritates others as well!

Real Name
    Dave

SOOOO glad to hear the file handling of LR irritates others as well!
    Well, I really like it

Real Name
    Richard

I like neither Lightroom nor PSE for my editing and/or cataloging. I know that it is user error byt, I tend to lose or misplace images when using either Lightroom or PSE.

I use Photoshop CS6 and do quite well with my own cataloging system using Bridge.

However if I wanted to use Lightroom, I would definitely add OnOne Perfect Photo Suite to the Lightroom. This would give me a full fledged editing capability with layers and masking plus A LOT MORE. The OnOne Photo Suite for Lightroom is fairly inexpensive (IMO)...

Actually, you could if you really wanted to, use Perfect Photo Suite as a stand alone editing system....

I use Perfect Photo Suite and NIK Software in conjunction with my Photoshop CS6. It may be duplication and or overkill, but there are specific things than I like about each plug-in....