Thread: Dominant Red Hue in Digital Photographs

Dominant Red Hue in Digital Photographs

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but I've got an observation I'd like to discuss.

I've noticed using curves in post-processing that I'm always downing the volume on the red channel. It always amazes me how dominant the red hue becomes visible in a photo. Anyone else notice this?

My WB isn't altered. Red just always seems very dominant after I preview the photo before lessening it. I thought, at first, that maybe the Bayer filter was mostly red, but its mostly green. Maybe its just my personal taste.

Anyway, great website. It really helped explain complicated concepts to me when I first got started shooting.

Best,

Zach

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Dominant Red Hue in Digital Photographs

Yes reds blow out before the blue and green channels.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dan

I agree, reds often blow out first, but there might be something else going on, if you are not blowing out the reds but simply finding that the reds are too pronounced. What camera are you using, and are you shooting raw or jpeg? If the latter, what picture style? If the former, what profile are you using for the initial rendering of the raw file? When I switched to digital, I shot jpeg for a short time, and one of the picture styles I used sometimes gave me too much of a reddish tint. I have never had the problem since I started shooting raw and using the adobe standard profile for the initial rendering, but I certainly have had the problem of blown reds that Allan noted.

If it's a consistent problem, (JPEG or RAW), then may I ask: "is your monitor calibrated"?

Glenn

Real Name
    Steve

Post a photo before and after your correction so we can see what you are talking about.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

Zach,

I also need to see a picture to see what you mean. Information about software + camera used might be helpful, too.

Lukas

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great introductory post! Welcome to the OP! Consider editing your user profile to display at least your first name and your locality on the left side of your posts.

Great discussion, also, even in this, its early stage! A lot of people are going to learn from it once it fully evolves.

I don't think so. He is seeing something in his setup.

Real Name
    George

Have a look in your camerasettings and specially to the saturasation. If that's to high, red becomes dominant.
    With my Nikon anyway.
    George

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Without a photo example, I can just welcome you to this forum...and Zach please fill up your profile...

Real Name
    Ted

Welcome to the forum, Zach.

It would really help us if you could reveal what camera model you are using, whether you are shooting raw or jpeg, if jpeg what scene and settings you are using and what lighting you are using generally?

Would also be nice to know what applications you're using for editing and viewing.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 25th September 2014 at 03:10 PM.